New Odyssey EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite an observation about the logo lineup. I didn't notice that and probably never would have, but they are all that way...

I'll be disappointed if we get short life on the primacy tires,me specially since we like the ones on the vs so much. But it will be what it is I guess, and I have seen there are a few good options (Bridgestone dueler revo at still would be a fun pick for a minivan!).

I ensure all of my center caps are lined up, and I look at that on other vehicles. To me, that's one of those small "tells" that alerts me that another "car guy" is around. Sort of like how you can tell a good electrician from a bad one by looking at his wiring job, or the quality of his solder joints, etc.

Regarding the tires, a good replacement option might be the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. I'm personally happy that Honda is fitting the new Odyssey with the exact same tire spec as our 1st gen Acura MDX -- that means that more car-like tires are likely to hit the market. I prefer tires like the very Primacy MXV4s that we have on it (and that came on your van) -- smooth, quiet, comfortable. Even the Michelin Latitude Tours that we tried were a little too "trucky" for it -- they were rather heavy and a bit "blocky" in shoulder profile. The Dueler Ecopias have a very smooth profile with rounded shoulders -- and are apparently pretty decent all around.

Yeah were thrilled with the primacy tires on our VW (and so far on the van). We will give everything a hard look when the time comes...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah were thrilled with the primacy tires on our VW (and so far on the van). We will give everything a hard look when the time comes...

The OE figments of the Primacy MXV4 may not deliver the performance of the aftermarket compound, so YMMV.

The new Premier LTX is available in your size, so that may be a good choice when it comes time:

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsS...num=365HR7PRLTX

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm already a member at odyclub
wink.gif

Interesting about the blue paint... Have to think about the "right" protection then... Especially (I assume) on the roof and hood)??

Of all the coatings, Opti-Coat Pro Plus may be your best long-term option. It doesn't have the dirt release or the gloss of CQuartz Finest, but it'll probably last the longest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Is Honda still using a timing belt for the 3.5V6

Sadly, yes. I'm about due for my $950 reaming.

Seems steep as my local Acura dealer charged $750/tensioner/water pump and loaner Acura TSX wagon for the day included on my 3.7 V6(similar engine more power!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Is Honda still using a timing belt for the 3.5V6

Sadly, yes. I'm about due for my $950 reaming.

Seems steep as my local Acura dealer charged $750/tensioner/water pump and loaner Acura TSX wagon for the day included on my 3.7 V6(similar engine more power!)

Those numbers are quite low compared to what I'm used to seeing out here. You're looking at about 10 hours of billable labor if you do the timing belt/WP (5hr), plugs (0.5-1hr), valve adjustment (3-4hr).

So to do it correctly, with labor rates in the $140-$160/hr range, you're looking at close to $1700-$2k to do the full, complete service.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Indy Honda shop is less expensive.

Most good Indy Honda shops are going to be within 15% of the dealer. The good one out here is at about $120/hr.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: rjundi

Those numbers are quite low compared to what I'm used to seeing out here. You're looking at about 10 hours of billable labor if you do the timing belt/WP (5hr), plugs (0.5-1hr), valve adjustment (3-4hr).

So to do it correctly, with labor rates in the $140-$160/hr range, you're looking at close to $1700-$2k to do the full, complete service.

3-4 hours for valve adjustment? It's about an hour on my Mercedes cars.

Those $549 specials look like just the labor to do the things itself. My read is that other parts like the tensioner and WP will be advised.

Still, I'd probably do plugs myself, I do adjust valves and have tools to do so, such that I might consider it, and the TB/WP I really have no desire to do at this point so I'll probably farm it out to the dealer for the $750 or $1000 that is reasonable to replace all the items and be done...

JHZR2,

Buy the Odyssey Honda shop manual and do it yourself since you like turning wrenches.

There was a guy that did the belt on his CRV and posted pictures a while back. It shouldn't be too difficult if you got 2 days to take your time.

I think a two day job isn't in my interest anymore. I like servicing cars, but the TB job doesn't interest me.

I can save $100/year and cover the job in 10 years with cash. No biggie.

Do seriously look in to Hamilton Honda link. They often (almost all the time) have killer deals on timing belt job. They have made it like an assembly line efficiency and managed to knock out at least three TB per bay per mechanic per day. Since you are in NJ, you should just use them. People have driven hundreds of miles for the savings.

I did the TB/WP job on our MDX. It was really quite pleasant of a job. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And I probably will -- I'll likely buy my brother's Ridgeline next year, and it's got nearly 100k miles on it.

But yeah, if you save the dough over time, it's really not a big deal. That's the difference of about 1 mpg running 12,000 miles/year.

Yep, 3.3 quarts of ATF for a drain and fill. I had purchased 3 quarts according to all of the suggestions on odyclub, but had to use .3 quarts of Maxlife I had in the cabinet to get it into the full range.

So far the rotors are doing quite well, even with the OE FF rated pads that are half worn at this point. I have a set of Raybestos EHT pads rated GG to replace them in the future, so braking will be even better, not that it's poor now.

In the first winter with the Michelins, traction won't be all that bad. It's the second and third winter where traction control kicks in whenever you get moving from a stop that will be the frustration. I found myself rolling through most of the stop signs on secondary roads to avoid spinning the tires in place and planning ahead when approaching stops on the main roads as to not get myself stuck on a small hill in the snow. Very annoying, that's why I'm looking at a truck based tire as a replacement.

Most good Indy Honda shops are going to be within 15% of the dealer. The good one out here is at about $120/hr.

15%... until you factor in the cost of unnecessary dealer quoted work.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

And you think indy shops are immune from this?

Unfortunately, if the customer is clueless, he may be taken advantage of, regardless of where he takes his/her car for repair.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Say it with me..."no thanks"

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I did the TB/WP job on our MDX. It was really quite pleasant of a job. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And I probably will -- I'll likely buy my brother's Ridgeline next year, and it's got nearly 100k miles on it.

But yeah, if you save the dough over time, it's really not a big deal. That's the difference of about 1 mpg running 12,000 miles/year.

It was you that posted the pictures, nice job on the TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back