New Odyssey EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice, we went for a little road trip in my friends 06 Ody and it still is holding together quite well and driving quite solidly. Theirs had the low speed clunk into first too, so maybe that is a Honda "feature". Anyways, I'm sure it will serve you well.

Were you able to acquired for
I look forward to hearing about winter performance using one of these loaded down. (eg loaded for ski weekend)

She's a beaut!!

I've never had a minivan I didn't like (Windstar, Odyssey, Grand Caravan).

One thing the Ody shined on though.. The fit and finish of the interior. Plus they have the best stowable 3rd row setup. I hate the stow-n-go on our 2013 grand caravan. Super cumbersome, especially when you're in a pinch and have to use it. On top of that, it sucks up passenger room and fixes the 2nd row seat configuration.

2nd great point with our 2008 Odyssey LX, was the easy to service 5spd AT. You could do a drain/fill on it easier than an engine oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Were you able to acquired for
I look forward to hearing about winter performance using one of these loaded down. (eg loaded for ski weekend)

I want to say with sales tax we were just over $30k, need to look at the paper to say for sure.

I did also negotiate a set of alloys at 25% off, notional to buy for snow tires. Time will tell if I do it given tpms.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Is Honda still using a timing belt for the 3.5V6

Sadly, yes. I'm about due for my $950 reaming.

Honestly that didnt really bother me. Lots of cars used to have these, they seem to hold up, and it's an opportunity to get another set of eyes on the car once in a blue moon. It's not like vehicles with chains don't need tensioners, plastic guides, etc. plus chains do wear in time too.

$950 is a lot but it really didn't bother me, and I can save $100 per year and have the cash when the time comes.

Chain would be my preference but I'm not terribly worried.

Nice van and like the color! Plus it comes with quality Michelin tires. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

it looks like I can fit a variety of light truck A/T tires to the van, since the tires are 235/65/17 sizing...

Bridgestone A/T Revo Eco anyone??

That is a sharp looking color, and it was the second choice when shopping for ours right after the Smoky Topaz we got.

I see that your front brake rotors are the updated part number with the additional cooling holes in the rotor hat. Good for you, as mine was the original part and had to be cut once and finally replaced the second time within 25k miles. Hopefully the updated rotor solved the pulsation problem that seems to occur at 12k mile increments like clockwork.

The standard oil filter is more than sufficient, unless you come across a blowout sale like I did on M1-101 filters for $2. I'm now set for a while. I've been bucking the system and running a syn 5W-30 out to the 15% on the MM, because it's just easier to follow as it's my wife's DD and she just tells me to get rid of the annoying chime.

I dumped 3.3 quarts of ATF at the first oil change and refilled with DW-1. No filter to service, and with a drainplug it was easy. You just need a very tall funnel with a small opening to fit into the stubby dipstick tube, and then pour each quart very slow. I rushed a bit on the first quart and it burps back up and all over the crossmember.

Other than that, they are pretty stout vans. My 3 kids have thrown their worst at it, and at 30k miles it still looks new. We do have the Truffle interior, so it's dark enough to hide some of the mess.

Oh, and for tires I'm planning on going with the Continental LX20 truck based tires because reviews have shown me that the Ody will benefit from a truck based tire because of the vehicles shear weight. The Michelin MXV4s that came OE are OK but stink in the winter.

Last edited:
JHZR2, do you remember when this Odyssey was introduced couple years ago you criticized the rear quarter window ? I agreed with you then that it wasn't very stylist, after seeing these rear quarter windows for a while it doesn't look very nice but it doesn't look too bad either, may be our eyes are getting used to its uniqueness ? I think the worst minivan exterior styling is Nissan Quest, especially the rear.

Other than rear quarter window the Odyssey is a very good minivan, especially the interior utilities.

As much as I hate wasting resource, with known problem with VCM I would use name brand synthetic only and a little shorter OCI, I would change oil when MM went down to around 20-25%.

For larger oil filters, below are some oil filters I found that can be used in S2000 and other Honda engines. The first number in parenthesis is OD and the second number is Height.

Mahle OC330 (3.0” X 3.7”), OC2 (3.4” X 5.5”), OC138 (3.5” X 4.9”)
MANN W840 (3.5” X 5.4”), W816/80 (3.4” X 4.7”)
Mobil M1-207(3.7” X 3.7”), M1-104(OEM-3.1” x 3.1”)
DONALDSON P552849(3.0” X 4.7”)
WIX 51347(2.9” X 4.8”), 51344(3.2” X 4.1”)
BALDWIN B7042 (3.7” X 5.4”), B199 (3.0" X 5 1/8")
Fram XG3593A(3.02” X 3.39”), XG3985(3.66” X 3.69”), PH2849A(3.0” X 4.9”), PH2921(3.7” X 3.6”), PH5046(3.0” X 5.0”),

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
That is a sharp looking color, and it was the second choice when shopping for ours right after the Smoky Topaz we got.

I see that your front brake rotors are the updated part number with the additional cooling holes in the rotor hat. Good for you, as mine was the original part and had to be cut once and finally replaced the second time within 25k miles. Hopefully the updated rotor solved the pulsation problem that seems to occur at 12k mile increments like clockwork.

The standard oil filter is more than sufficient, unless you come across a blowout sale like I did on M1-101 filters for $2. I'm now set for a while. I've been bucking the system and running a syn 5W-30 out to the 15% on the MM, because it's just easier to follow as it's my wife's DD and she just tells me to get rid of the annoying chime.

I dumped 3.3 quarts of ATF at the first oil change and refilled with DW-1. No filter to service, and with a drainplug it was easy. You just need a very tall funnel with a small opening to fit into the stubby dipstick tube, and then pour each quart very slow. I rushed a bit on the first quart and it burps back up and all over the crossmember.

Other than that, they are pretty stout vans. My 3 kids have thrown their worst at it, and at 30k miles it still looks new. We do have the Truffle interior, so it's dark enough to hide some of the mess.

Oh, and for tires I'm planning on going with the Continental LX20 truck based tires because reviews have shown me that the Ody will benefit from a truck based tire because of the vehicles shear weight. The Michelin MXV4s that came OE are OK but stink in the winter.

Thanks! So 3.3 qts flow out if the at drain plug is opened?

Yeah, I was pleased to see pretty stout rotors up front, though the calipers don't seem that huge.

Weve been happy with the primacy mxm4 tires we put on our VW, and I had heard that the mxv4 was a better snow tire... Hopefully I don't have to think about tires any time soon though.

Even though the van is 4500 lbs, it seems that from competitive literature, the Ody is the lightest of the bunch, and weren't cars from the 60s and 70s often >2 tons????

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
JHZR2, do you remember when this Odyssey was introduced couple years ago you criticized the rear quarter window ? I agreed with you then that it wasn't very stylist, after seeing these rear quarter windows for a while it doesn't look very nice but it doesn't look too bad either, may be our eyes are getting used to its uniqueness ? I think the worst minivan exterior styling is Nissan Quest, especially the rear.

Other than rear quarter window the Odyssey is a very good minivan, especially the interior utilities.

As much as I hate wasting resource, with known problem with VCM I would use name brand synthetic only and a little shorter OCI, I would change oil when MM went down to around 20-25%.

For larger oil filters, below are some oil filters I found that can be used in S2000 and other Honda engines. The first number in parenthesis is OD and the second number is Height.

Mahle OC330 (3.0” X 3.7”), OC2 (3.4” X 5.5”), OC138 (3.5” X 4.9”)
MANN W840 (3.5” X 5.4”), W816/80 (3.4” X 4.7”)
Mobil M1-207(3.7” X 3.7”), M1-104(OEM-3.1” x 3.1”)
DONALDSON P552849(3.0” X 4.7”)
WIX 51347(2.9” X 4.8”), 51344(3.2” X 4.1”)
BALDWIN B7042 (3.7” X 5.4”), B199 (3.0" X 5 1/8")
Fram XG3593A(3.02” X 3.39”), XG3985(3.66” X 3.69”), PH2849A(3.0” X 4.9”), PH2921(3.7” X 3.6”), PH5046(3.0” X 5.0”),

Yes, I did, though even then I was on the fence.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2820019/1

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think the new Odyssey styling is abnormal, the previous Odyssey is better looking.

That was my feel at first, but with come colors and configurations, I like the lines of the new one. It certainly is more unique. Most have turned into a box with a snout. At least the odyssey still has some shape, no matter how wavy and ovoid, to it.

We were disappointed with the cargo space in the rental quest we had in may.

No van has beat my parents previa in terms of ease of entry/exit, space in the rows and cargo space as far as I'm concerned... And I've driven a few minivans because often when I travel that's what they give me when put of compacts. The Chrysler vans seem to come close these days.

I still think a straight line along the belt would be better, but we love everything else about the van that its not a big deal. Plus, the color has a lot to do with it, and given the roofline, a roof rack also finishes it out a bit to make it look pretty different, IMO (i.e. yoga pants for a minivan - it gives the rear a bit of a lift
wink.gif
). A dark tinted one with no roofrack, in black reminds me of a hearse... Everybody and their brother seem to lease EX-L models in silver, which I also don't think is the best color. We liked the gold, burgundy and blue colors, and it has grown on us over the years of contemplation.

C837A7C2-8E36-42F9-B407-0EC5332F93BC_zps9qhtxzk0.jpg

vs.

lead1odysseyfd2011.jpg

Thanks for the numbers on filters. All of those would X-ref for the Honda 3.5L V6 the same as they would be appropriate for the S2000? There is no difference in specs or requirements between the engines?

Ive always been a fan of the Fran XG line, looks like the XG7317 is the official version that fits...

Thanks!

The S2000 OEM filter is a little wider than all other Honda filters, V6 included, also S2000 requires a little higher by-pass pressure than standard Honda filter.

I think the XG7317 is equivalent to Honda 15400-PLM-A01/A02. Once in a while Pep Boys has 30-35% off code for online order of regularly priced items, Fram Ultra is $9.99 so after discount it comes down to $6.50-7.00 which is pretty good for 1 of the best spin on filter.

I agree that a straight line along the belt would be better. If I was to buy a minivan then Odyssey, Sienna and Mazda CX9 will be on my shopping list.

Hmmmm, so I wonder if the s2000 filter would be good for us. Wonder if the other one is bigger but has the right spring pressure?

I think the XG7317 is equivalent to Honda 15400-PLM-A01/A02. Once in a while Pep Boys has 30-35% off code for online order of regularly priced items, Fram Ultra is $9.99 so after discount it comes down to $6.50-7.00 which is pretty good for 1 of the best spin on filter.

Looking at cut open images, it seems to me that the XG is a hybrid of the A01 and A02. It has the metal end caps like the A01 with the Bypass design of the A02.

I like the XG filters, but handa accessories has the oe A01 filters for a seemingly good price.

A01 is a good filter for all Honda engines but S2000. During warranty you like to use A01 then switch to Ultra XG7317 later.

My daughter 2014 Accord has 2 years free oil changes at dealer, I will change her oil after that with XG7317, which I already bought some.

The accord doesn't have room for larger in diameter than 7317.

Looks great. I suspect that you'll be very happy with that powertrain. I see that the H logos on the center caps are lined up with the valve stems on the wheels. That's something I do on my own vehicles and, if this is the way it came from the dealership, you had a heads-up pre-delivery inspector (or a heads-up assembly tech in Alabama...). Many report short life from those Michelin Primacys, but we have the exact same tire (the Odyssey OEM P235/65R17) on our Acura MDX and have over 20k miles on them now, and they're at about 7/32"...so I expect an honest 50k out of them -- good for a 4,500# AWD SUV in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back