Should I upgrade my 14 Odyssey?

Originally Posted by Dave9

You are out of your freakin' mind. No. In no universe is $600 reasonable for a brake job including rotors, unless some idiot pays a premium for Honda rotors at the highest markup possible. If someone does that, I exclude their opinion because they have practically zero common sense. Honda doesn't make rotors, but this theme continues below.

I know it's not uncommon for dealers in the Buffalo NY area to charge $400-500 per axle for a pad and rotor job. My FIL just paid over $400 for rears on his 2017 Nissan Frontier that might have 12K miles on it at this point. He was in for a "free" oil change and they talked him into it. Dealer's word is gold to him. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Should you upgrade - No.

Do you want to upgrade and are hoping a majority of posters will agree - yes. If I'm correct, go ahead and upgrade, its not a bad choice, but IMO not as good as the other choice. Good luck with the new ride!

We love our 14 odyssey. We got an EX, on a great deal, but generally prefer simpler outfitting with less to go wrong, and no leather seats. If I had one reason to want to trade it, its because the infotainment system is sluggish, even just compared to the speed, responsiveness, and overall function of the exactly the same-looking system in my 15 Accord.

Ours has around 60k on it, and has needed nothing really. It has seen the exact same conditions as my accord, and every last bolt under the hood of my accord is rusted, while none are on the Odyssey.

Fuel economy is nothing to write home about, but not sure if the 10 speed is worth the upgrade for that.

Too bad they dont have a hybrid. Id consider getting a hybrid...

If youve run a VCM Stumbler, the whole thing should be good for a LONG time. IMO the economics of trading up a 70k mile 2014 van is not there. But if you havent run the VCM Stumbler, you might want to, as that would help ensure good long term engine performance...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by supton
Repairing is usually cheapest. Assuming it's not rusty and that you don't get hammered with a trans failure right after timing belt, struts and who knows what else.

At only 70k though I'm thinking it can't be all that worn. If it's not burning oil and showing other bad signs, it's probably a safer bet to keep. Lemon laws do exist for a reason, as does buyer's remorse.

My customer with the 2012 Odyssey has gone thru:

- both front struts
- alternator
- side engine mount
- Both cv axles
- p/s pump
- oil consumption (and extremely fouled plugs on bank 1)
- leaking hydraulic timing belt tensioner (at 90k)

All of those issues popped up between 60-85K.
What repairs do you routinely do on other Odysseys of that generation ?

All items except for the struts and axles, those were a bit of an anomaly.

With that said, the VCM issues on that generation would be enough reason to stay away.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by carguy996
My local dealer said the 100,000 mile service is $2,250.

What does that include ? The only thing it 'needs' is the timing belt/water pump/related bits and spark plugs. You said you can do brakes so you can do spark plugs too. I suspect their 100k service includes repairs like "fuel system cleaning", cabin filter replacement, brake fluid flush, and so on. Not saying those don't need done but they don't need all done at the same time resulting in a $2000+ "service". You know why dealers suggest this at 100k miles ? To get people to think, "screw that, I'm not spending that much, I'll just buy a new car" (for $350/month which would cover those repairs in ~6 months and those repairs aren't needed again for another 100k+ miles).

Market price for the 105k service is about 2k, which would include the timing belt package, spark plugs and valve adjustment. Total book time is 8-9 hours depending on the model.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by carguy996
Im wanting to replace it because in about another year, year and a half, I am going to have the expensive timing belt service done and it will need tires, brakes, struts and stuff about the same time. Would rather get rid of it now because its harder to get rid of something that needs a couple 2-3 grand in repair a year or so down the road.

I'm doubtful it will cost that much unless you're in a high rent area of Chicago. Timing belt is around $700, middle-of-road tires & alignment $700, brakes on both axles $250, struts $200. What's "stuff" because so far you're only at $1850 and only then if you don't DIY any of it.

Did you pull these numbers out of thin air, or are those actual prices that you paid in your area? Those prices are unrealistically low.

Nonsense, unless you have some hair stuck in the wrong place and insist on a stealership shop and Honda parts.

ALL DAY LONG, those are the correct prices. Granted, if the brake job needs new rotors, it may run a little more so I aimed for middle of the field on that one, a savvy shopper could get rotors in that ballpark but not with labor too.

If you think they are low, you are either getting robbed, or work for a shop that robs... or live in a high rent area, that does affect prices.

In my area, labor rates are between $150-$200/hr. Brake jobs pay 2 hr/axle. From talking to others in CA and in other metropolitan areas, our pricing is very comparable.

The chain shops only charge a flat $150-$200 for labor, but they turn around and mark up their parts by 200-300% so the math works out the same.

With rotors, the typical pad and rotor replacement is between $350-$550/axle depending on the vehicle using aftermarket parts.

Front struts would be about $1100-1200 with alignment. My cost on the aftermarket parts (KYB and TRW) are ~$300. Labor time is 3 hours and alignment is separate.

Originally Posted by JTK

You are out of your freakin' mind. No. In no universe is $600 reasonable for a brake job including rotors, unless some idiot pays a premium for Honda rotors at the highest markup possible. If someone does that, I exclude their opinion because they have practically zero common sense. Honda doesn't make rotors, but this theme continues below.

I know it's not uncommon for dealers in the Buffalo NY area to charge $400-500 per axle for a pad and rotor job. My FIL just paid over $400 for rears on his 2017 Nissan Frontier that might have 12K miles on it at this point. He was in for a "free" oil change and they talked him into it. Dealer's word is gold to him. LOL.

+1

Last time I went in to the dealer for my annual state inspection, my car needed pads and rotors all around. First estimate given to me by the service advisor was $965 (that was for new pads, new rotors, state inspection fees, oil change and tire rotation.) Seemed a little high, so I asked if there were any "specials". 10 minutes later, they came back and said "yes, turns out there is a special on brakes this month from GM!" Price went down to $760 for everything. Pulling the state inspection fees and oil change/tire rotation out of the equation, the brake job was about $640.

If I had gone to an independent for the brakes, it would have been $300 for parts and another $300 for labor. No real savings.

I feel bad for people that do not ask about specials or discounts that may be in effect at the dealers. Usually there are specials, you just have to ask to get the dealer to acknowledge them.

Originally Posted by ryster
Originally Posted by JTK

+1

Last time I went in to the dealer for my annual state inspection, my car needed pads and rotors all around. First estimate given to me by the service advisor was $965 (that was for new pads, new rotors, state inspection fees, oil change and tire rotation.) Seemed a little high, so I asked if there were any "specials". 10 minutes later, they came back and said "yes, turns out there is a special on brakes this month from GM!" Price went down to $760 for everything. Pulling the state inspection fees and oil change/tire rotation out of the equation, the brake job was about $640.

If I had gone to an independent for the brakes, it would have been $300 for parts and another $300 for labor. No real savings.

I feel bad for people that do not ask about specials or discounts that may be in effect at the dealers. Usually there are specials, you just have to ask to get the dealer to acknowledge them.

My indy would charge me between $600 and $700 for new rotors and pads on all 4 wheels.

Originally Posted by JTK
... My FIL just paid over $400 for rears on his 2017 Nissan Frontier that might have 12K miles on it at this point. He was in for a "free" oil change and they talked him into it. Dealer's word is gold to him. LOL.

I have this same story from elderly owner of an Accord when at the Honda dealer for a paid (not free) oil change.
I know those brakes were fine. It is sad how some business owners are so keen to rip off their customers who don't know better.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
Originally Posted by JTK
... My FIL just paid over $400 for rears on his 2017 Nissan Frontier that might have 12K miles on it at this point. He was in for a "free" oil change and they talked him into it. Dealer's word is gold to him. LOL.

I have this same story from elderly owner of an Accord when at the Honda dealer for a paid (not free) oil change.
I know those brakes were fine. It is sad how some business owners are so keen to rip off their customers who don't know better.

I've posted about this in the past: I was at the Honda dealer waiting in the waiting room with a couple of other folks for the Takata airbag recall to be done on my previous ‘08 Civic when a service person came in and informed the guy next to me that he needed new front pads. I don't recall the exact cost (I'm sure I posted it here at some point, when it was fresher in my memory), but for new pads and the rotors to be turned, it was something like $650 for that and the oil change he was in for! I overheard the poor guy call his wife (my assumption) and dejectedly state over and over again that the service guy said it NEEDED to be done. Granted, the service guy never used the word "needed," but implied it.

//

Back before I learned how to DIY brakes I was quoted $450 by a local Ford dealer for front brakes on my ‘05 Focus (my first new car), which they said needed to be done at around 40k miles. I involuntarily laughed, not realizing the service person was serious! As I walked out of the office a tech chased me down and mentioned that he could do it for much less if I was willing to use aftermarket parts and let him work on it outside of business hours. I declined that shady offer.

Luckily, a coworker helped me do the job in his gravel driveway (of all places) for less than half the cost. That's when I caught the DIY bug. Note: the brakes were rusty, but the pads had some meat left on them when we changed them. Thinking back, I probably could have gone much longer on the pads than they led me to believe.

On brakes wife's 2018 VW Tiguan 50k oil change/recall dire need of $700 brakes front according to dealer. I kindly state maybe next service.

Next service(61k) rolls around for free for medical workers oil change$100!. The tech inspection report shows brakes pass with green check box. Note, no brake work performed since 50k.

Back