2024 Honda Odyssey

In our 2023 odyssey I can manage mid 20s, about 25-26 with loaded cargo and roof box and we don’t drive slow…about 75mph. Unloaded we don’t get alot better, but I’ve seen close to if not 30 on a trip where we didn’t have more than a couple suitcases.

Typical mom bomb around town we usually sit around 19-23 mpg, probably depends on how much the wife idles it. We’re on and off highways all the time due to where we live, but no more than 5 mile spurts.

Ditching the roof box would make a difference.

And people will pay $5k over MSRP because everyone on the internet tells them to buy a Toyota.
Actually not anymore. That was 2022. They wanted 5k and initially before checking how it drives I was on the list in Demver dealership that didn’t charge above MSRP. Now, they are calling so often about cars available that I am going to seek restraining order. They are willing to negotiate too.

Also, it wasn’t such huge demand. It was the fact that Toyota messed chip supply worst of all brands.

How much droning does the little 4 banger do when going up long inclines or heavy head wind? That would be my concern.
If the battery can keep up with the demand and keep the drone to a minimum then it would be OK.
Going north on US101 from San Luis Obispo in March of 23, there is about a 3-4 mile climb up and over a hill/mountain. It definitely made some noise but I was able to keep it at 70 all the way up the hill. It wasn't too bothersome to me but I am known to wind out 4 cylinders quite a bit including with my wife's Outlander, I will push it up over 5000 at times and the noise doesn't bother me. If you are used to V6s you might find it irritating, to me it was fine.

The Toyota CVT is a lot nicer than the CVT in my wife's Outlander which is a Jatco unit, IIRC. It could be that the programming is just better, not sure.

Actually not anymore. That was 2022. They wanted 5k and initially before checking how it drives I was on the list in Demver dealership that didn’t charge above MSRP. Now, they are calling so often about cars available that I am going to seek restraining order. They are willing to negotiate too.

Also, it wasn’t such huge demand. It was the fact that Toyota messed chip supply worst of all brands.
What's funny/strange is that all the dealers around here have only a few vans on the lots but they're either LE or Platinum....I think 1 dealer out of 8 I looked at within an hour's drive online had an XLE. 2 dealers didn't have any Siennas on the lot at all. :eek:

[QUOTE="I What's funny/strange is that all the dealers around here have only a few vans on the lots but they're either LE or Platinum....I think 1 dealer out of 8 I looked at within an hour's drive online had an XLE. 2 dealers didn't have any Siennas on the lot at all. :eek:
[/QUOTE]
They probably still have issues with chip shortage. LE was not an issue. When I was thinking about Sienna in 2022, a dealer in Denver told me he could have LE in 3 weeks. Once you start going up is the problem. Not sure availability on the lot actually means they cannot get a car. They call and send email all the time now.

Haven't had a chance to drive the Carnival yet, but did take the a Sienna, Pacifica, and Odyssey out so far, and the Sienna was not even close to as nice to drive as the Pacifica, which loses to the Odyssey.
Comparing the Honda vs Toyota minivans, is like comparing winning a billion dollar lottery vs 1 dollar.
The Pacifica falls somewhere in between the fabulous Odyssey, and horrid Sienna. Maybe today I will get time to take the Carnival out for a drive. It can't be as bad as the Toyota, unless the seat is an apple box, the engine blows up, and it wanders all over the road like a 90 year old drunk pushing a 3 wheel shopping cart.

Haven't had a chance to drive the Carnival yet, but did take the a Sienna, Pacifica, and Odyssey out so far, and the Sienna was not even close to as nice to drive as the Pacifica, which loses to the Odyssey.
Comparing the Honda vs Toyota minivans, is like comparing winning a billion dollar lottery vs 1 dollar.
The Pacifica falls somewhere in between the fabulous Odyssey, and horrid Sienna. Maybe today I will get time to take the Carnival out for a drive. It can't be as bad as the Toyota, unless the seat is an apple box, the engine blows up, and it wanders all over the road like a 90 year old drunk pushing a 3 wheel shopping cart.

Curious what your impressions are on the Carnival if you happen to test drive one.

Carnival is not as comfortable as Odyssey, but it is not too bad. Odyssey rides like nothing else.

However, the Carnival feels more like an SUV, feels more agile behind the wheel. Driving position also feels like a crossover.

I like Carnival's V6 engine a lot. It offers more mid-range punch. Honda wants to be driven hard to get more power.

The problem with the Carnival is the overall storage space and cubbies in the front. It is by far the worst. That's usually important for a minivan buyer.

The Sienna is by far the best. It's a 4-cylinder hybrid, so good gas mileage and easy to service when needed :)

Transverse V6 minivans can be difficult to deal with, and Honda doesn't have the best track record when it comes to transmissions on the Odyssey,

The Pacifica is a steaming pile of garbage mechanically, so stay far, far away from that one.

People seem to like the Carnival so far, but Kia still might not be as good as Toyota. A hybrid Carnival is supposed to come out some time in 2024, but not much is known yet.

Perhaps you might be able to get a leftover Transit Connect. Ford stopped making them over the summer at the end of the 2023 model year. It may or may not be possible to find a leftover 2023. 4-cylinder non-hybrid non-turbo, should be the simplest one to keep on the road.

I am in Houston and could not even see a Sienna - every dealership was willing to sell one sight unseen.

Plus they were asking for way over MSRP -

I helped my daughter find a vehicle for her husband - they need room for 4 car seats + 3 adults and minivan was the best choice.

The Odyssey was very nice - but the rear air vents made it impossible to cool off the rear area in Houston temps - I am glad it was a hot day when we test drove it otherwise we may have made a mistake.

My daughter drives a 2019 Santa Fe and she immediately felt right at home in the Carnival - it "feels" like you are driving a smaller SUV - compared to the Honda which was more like a school bus.

A vehicle this size needs air vents in the roof -

They ended up with the Carnival - it is very nice and the ride and power are great. The one thing I really liked - no auto stop and go to mess with - it is not even a feature. The space behind the rear seat is HUGE. They put a large stroller, a wagon to haul soccer gear, backpacks & diaper bag and still have space.

Toyota Sienna - none in stock and priced $$$ over MSRP
Honda Odyssey - overall nice but in hot climate the AC sucked.
Pacifica we didn't even bother looking at -
Kia best deal $$ wise and after 5 months they still love it.

[QUOTE="I What's funny/strange is that all the dealers around here have only a few vans on the lots but they're either LE or Platinum....I think 1 dealer out of 8 I looked at within an hour's drive online had an XLE. 2 dealers didn't have any Siennas on the lot at all. :eek:
[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I saw - wanted a few things that the base model did not have - but not willing to drop $12K-$15K more to get the top trim.

This is not an accident - they do this on purpose.

Back