2024 Honda Odyssey

2018 Sienna (V6) does 0 to 60 in 7.1 seconds and the 2023 Sienna (hybrid 4 cylinder) does it in 7.9. What are you doing with a minivan that you need to shave 8/10 of a second off your 0 to 60?
It is not 0-60. They are astonishingly slow in mountains and here at higher altitude where lack of oxygen density and atmospheric pressure affects performance. I rented it for three days to see whether that would be OK for us, and drove few more times after. I realized that it has less clearance than my BMW, and it turns into gas guzzler once you start pushing it over mountain passes. It would be ok vehicle to drop kids to school, groceries. But road trip? Not sure I would drive it if someone paid me. I mean, I just got back from road trip to Las Vegas. Full trunk, four bikes. With Sienna hybrid I could not get 27mpg with 4 of us without stuff, bcs. pedal is always to the metal over hills. I don’t want to know how slow is loaded. I averaged I think 32mpg, but that is after I did good amount of city driving. There is no doubt MPG is attractive, but really, really not sure how loaded Sienna would behave, unless one has astonishing amount of patience.
Add to that that it has 2” shorter seats than my Tiguan and 3” than my BMW (before I extend them).

Here is my take on it:

Last edited:
It is not 0-60. They are astonishingly slow in mountains and here at higher altitude where lack of oxygen density and atmospheric pressure affects performance. I rented it for three days to see whether that would be OK, just to realize that it has less clearance than my BMW, and it turns into gas guzzler once you start pushing it over mountain passes. It would be ok vehicle to drop kids to school, groceries. But road trip? Not sure I would drive it if someone paid me. I mean, I just got back from road trip to Las Vegas. Full trunk, four bikes. With Sienna hybrid I could not get 27mpg with 4 of us without stuff, bcs. pedal is always to the metal over hills. I don’t want to know how slow is loaded. I averaged I think 32mpg, but that is after I did good amount of city driving. There is no doubt MPG is attractive, but really, really not sure how loaded Sienna would behave, unless one has astonishing amount of patience.
Add to that that it has 2” shorter seats than my Tiguan and 3” than my BMW (before I extend them).

Here is my take on it:
Yeah we have not had those issues. But Texas is not at high altitude. And mixed city/hwy is the norm for our purposes. Average 32-35 regularly even loaded up with the wife, kids and myself plus bags and such. On long trips average 30-32. Only seen it drop below 30 when extremely cold.

Not every vehicle works for every person and situation - the Sienna hybrid is no exception.

1704253514524.jpeg

Minivans really are the best bet. Car based SUVs do nothing practical as well as a van, it’s just a different form factor of a station wagon, with ooorer overall economy.

The timing belt isn’t a concern. I’m going to do ours soon.

We were looking at all the vans when we got ours. I’m glad we didn’t get a sienna based upon reliability issues friends and family have had. We’re at 94k, one battery, one inner tie rod… Im sure more work will be needed, but so what, it’s like any vehicle.

The sienna MPGs are compelling. I’d look at those again if we needed a van. But otherwise I’d buy another odyssey in an instant.

Yeah we have not had those issues. But Texas is not at high altitude. And mixed city/hwy is the norm for our purposes. Average 32-35 regularly even loaded up with the wife, kids and myself plus bags and such. On long trips average 30-32. Only seen it drop below 30 when extremely cold.

Not every vehicle works for every person and situation - the Sienna hybrid is no exception.

View attachment 196201
Absolutely. Different people have different needs. I generally avoid Atlas or when I had 2015 Sienna unless I need space. I always drive BMW. The only SUV, or large vehicle I truly enjoyed was BMW X5.
However, when I say loaded, that means at least 4 bags, kids, bikes, probably Yakima 16cu ft on the roof, camping grill, big cooler, etc. Around town, IDK, if that is the purpose of the vehicle, sliding doors are the winner. However, kids grow up fast.
IMO, they are definitely better in town, or road trips from town to tow. If there is a hint of outdoorsy stuff, SUV is a better bet.

Absolutely. Different people have different needs. I generally avoid Atlas or when I had 2015 Sienna unless I need space. I always drive BMW. The only SUV, or large vehicle I truly enjoyed was BMW X5.
However, when I say loaded, that means at least 4 bags, kids, bikes, probably Yakima 16cu ft on the roof, camping grill, big cooler, etc. Around town, IDK, if that is the purpose of the vehicle, sliding doors are the winner. However, kids grow up fast.
IMO, they are definitely better in town, or road trips from town to tow. If there is a hint of outdoorsy stuff, SUV is a better bet.
Understandably so. SUVs are better at doing sport utility vehicle things. Had a Yukon when we needed four-wheel-drive and decent towing capabilities. Minivan don’t shine in that aspect.

It is not 0-60. They are astonishingly slow in mountains and here at higher altitude where lack of oxygen density and atmospheric pressure affects performance. I rented it for three days to see whether that would be OK for us, and drove few more times after. I realized that it has less clearance than my BMW, and it turns into gas guzzler once you start pushing it over mountain passes. It would be ok vehicle to drop kids to school, groceries. But road trip? Not sure I would drive it if someone paid me. I mean, I just got back from road trip to Las Vegas. Full trunk, four bikes. With Sienna hybrid I could not get 27mpg with 4 of us without stuff, bcs. pedal is always to the metal over hills. I don’t want to know how slow is loaded. I averaged I think 32mpg, but that is after I did good amount of city driving. There is no doubt MPG is attractive, but really, really not sure how loaded Sienna would behave, unless one has astonishing amount of patience.

Here is my take on it:
Better than the 21-23mpg the Odyssey gets at interstate speeds. :LOL::ROFLMAO::geek:

[QUOTE="I Better than the 21-23mpg the Odyssey gets at interstate speeds. :LOL::ROFLMAO::geek:
[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Our odyssey gets about that, sometimes a bit lower, in 100% around town use. On the highway we will get 28-30.

The Sienna hybrid is interesting since we do a lot more around town driving with this vehicle. But not enough savings to justify replacement when our odyssey only has 94k and is more less like new with its new tie rod.

Interesting. Our odyssey gets about that, sometimes a bit lower, in 100% around town use. On the highway we will get 28-30.

The Sienna hybrid is interesting since we do a lot more around town driving with this vehicle. But not enough savings to justify replacement when our odyssey only has 94k and is more less like new with its new tie rod.
That is pretty much the ballpark of Sienna hybrid on the interstate.

It is definitely the around town or mixed driving where the hybrid shine. And that fits perfectly to my family’s purposes. Flat out on the interstate there really isn’t much difference MPG wise. Our SUV before it got 15-17 in town and maybe 18-20 hwy if we were lucky. When it was time to replace it, we saw a significant savings in fuel only. Went from gassing up twice a week to gassing up only once a week. $40-50 x 52 = $2080-2600 yearly. Now we would have seen some savings going from an SUV to a minivan in general but just not as much.

As folks can tell by the vehicles in my signature horsepower is not my number one concern. As I said earlier, it is definitely not for everyone or every situation.

My Grand Caravan sucks the gas pretty bad on the highway.
Here is the breakdown of my Christmas trip to Toronto this year, which was about 3400 miles. Speeds were mainly between 75-80mph, with some cruising at 90mph and some at 65 mph

The difference between Austin-Toronto and Toronto-Austin mpg I think is largely due to the amount of stuff we brought back, which was a lot.

23.99Austin-Toronto 100% HWY
24.03Austin-Toronto 100% HWY
23.11Austin-Toronto 100% HWY
19.54Austin-Toronto 50% HWY, 50% City
20.88Toronto-Austin 30% City, 70% HWY
22.65Toronto-Austin 100% HWY
20.89Toronto-Austin 100% HWY
21.73Toronto-Austin 100% HWY

I think best we’ve gotten at 75+ was like 23-24mpg. We’d get 28mpg if we were driving 55 maybe lol

[QUOTE="I I wouldn’t really say “moves” but it’s adequate.
[/QUOTE]
The Honda is definitely more powerful but I wouldn’t call it “powerful.” At least not the one I test drove. Basically what we have here is a 350 lbs man calling a 400 lbs man fat and slow.

In our 2023 odyssey I can manage mid 20s, about 25-26 with loaded cargo and roof box and we don’t drive slow…about 75mph. Unloaded we don’t get alot better, but I’ve seen close to if not 30 on a trip where we didn’t have more than a couple suitcases.

Typical mom bomb around town we usually sit around 19-23 mpg, probably depends on how much the wife idles it. We’re on and off highways all the time due to where we live, but no more than 5 mile spurts.

The Honda is definitely more powerful but I wouldn’t call it “powerful.” At least not the one I test drove. Basically what we have here is a 350 lbs man calling a 400 lbs man fat and slow.
Aye, hence "adequate."

Back