New Odyssey EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only did you take great pics and say it was enjoyable more than once... But you offered to help others... So in about 7 years or 100k miles, I'll be coming by to take you up on that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: wemay
Very nice! Congratulations! Now you too can obsess over which 0w-20 is 'best.'
wink.gif

I've got enough cars that take 40wt oils, maybe I'll rebel and use it here.

Or not.

thumbsup2.gif

Not only did you take great pics and say it was enjoyable more than once... But you offered to help others... So in about 7 years or 100k miles, I'll be coming by to take you up on that
smile.gif

I am with you on this one; Nothing enjoyable at least watching this one!

smile.gif

Absolutely! I look forward to doing the one in my brother's 2009 Ridgeline (I plan to buy it in about a year) and my offer stands to anyone who would like help with one.

Ericthecarguy's video was super informative and the process was very straightforward. I think I remark about how enjoyable it is because it was so much easier than some (who usually have not done one themselves before) make the job out to be.

I will say this after taking this to a place we occasionally visit which has a long, curving driveway that is best backed down/in to. While the van is great, even with the cameras, it is much more of a chore than our old previa.

I did it at night, and the rear visibility in these conditions is poor. All the touch screens blare light which doesn't help with visibility. The driveway is fairly wide, but tree lined on either side, and the cameras don't do it justice, it's best observed by using mirrors and looking over the shoulders.

I know the previa was a little bit shorter (but the same or more volume, it appears), but had a lot better visibility it seems.

The van is still great in every way, and I think this will be manageable completely and not an issue, but backing down evoked memories, and the previa was much easier, fwiw. I'd bet if I turned off the backup camera, dimmed the interior lights, and removed a headrest or two it would be much better... I'm just a bit surprised by how much more I had to watch and maneuver over the 250 ft or so of curving, sloped downward terrain, when I could back the previa down (or any of our other cars) practically with my eyes closed.

Also noticed bad rear visibility in the 2015 Odyssey. Not as bad as CRV however. That rear quarter window shape does block more than pre 2011 model. Headrests on some 2015's are very tall and take more visibility away. Would fold them down with nobody in the third row.

Maybe opening the drivers door and looking backwards towards the pavement would work better. Kind of follow the line where the pavement/grass edge meet. I do this sometimes when backing into a parking spot and want to get close to the curb but not hit it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Maybe opening the drivers door and looking backwards towards the pavements would work better. Kind of follow the line where the pavement/grass edge meet. I do this sometimes when backing into a parking spot and want to get close to the curb but not hit it.

I do that once in a while. Most often when hooking up a trailer and I need some reference as I know I need to go just a foot or so. Although at times I give serious thought to installing a (shudder!) backup camera.

I found rearward visibility to not be the best in our 2008 Odyssey. Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan is better in that respect. Better overall visibility for the driver. Both vans do have pretty dark factory tint on the sides/rear

It might help in backing up to turn the remote mirror control to either one of the outside mirrors, as that mirror will then tilt down to give better sight of the rear wheel.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
It might help in backing up to turn the remote mirror control to either one of the outside mirrors, as that mirror will then tilt down to give better sight of the rear wheel.

When it works(supposed to) in my semi relatd MDX it really helps!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Funny -- it's opposite in our MDX. If you have the mirror selector in the middle, the passenger mirror will droop (which I appreciate). If you move the selector to either of the side mirrors, the passenger mirror will not droop.

It was much better after the first time. The first time I did it was late at night, after driving two hours, long week, etc.

Im very much aware of the surroundings via mirrors and looking behind/to the side of me. It was mostly touchscreen glare, marginal use of the reverse camera, and getting used to such a large vehicle on the driveway.

Did it at least three more times after that in different amounts of light and riders and had no issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back