2025 Toyota Camry - All Hybrid

umm, no, that's not how Honda hybrids work.
Not only can you get past sixty expeditiously, you can also do so from seventy to the ton.
Ask the man who owns one.
Go ask honda :) I am right

"The majority of the time, the system operates as a series hybrid. Its electric propulsion motor drives the wheels directly, while the gasoline engine connected to the electric generator/starter motor functions as an electrical generator, supplying power to the hybrid battery and/or the propulsion motor. Under certain driving conditions, such as steady-state cruising at highway speeds, the system switches seamlessly to parallel hybrid operation, with the gasoline engine connecting to the front axle via a clutch, and vehicle speed is proportional to engine speed (rpm)."

Parallel operation only means that the engine runs the wheels and the motor to generate electricity, unlike toyota, where the electric motor AND engine can output power to the wheels. The 2 stage clutch in the honda system does not allow this. Its either in gear one or gear two, not both at the same time.

So what will a base LE Camry cost now? Near $30k I would imagine. Still moving farther and farther away from affordable new cars.
Its basic business practice that all companies do:

Release model - make it reputable and popular
Release new model, make base model so bad that no one wants it.
Remove base models - this makes the new starting price higher
Make the entire market adjust to new higher price

Repeat

In otherwords, honda did this first, they axed their accord pretty hard, releasing garbage base models LX and EX with gas only 1.5 turbos and no options, keeping the entire upper line up hybrid with options. They start at 31k. If toyota goes all hybrid, why bother starting them at LX/EX gas only model prices? Just compete at the hybrid level 1:1 at 30K+.

Apple has been doing this for years - remember the iphone 8 and X fiasco? First 1000$ phone, now all phones start at 1000$.

Its basic business practice that all companies do:

Release model - make it reputable and popular
Release new model, make base model so bad that no one wants it.
Remove base models - this makes the new starting price higher
Make the entire market adjust to new higher price

Repeat

In otherwords, honda did this first, they axed their accord pretty hard, releasing garbage base models LX and EX with gas only 1.5 turbos and no options, keeping the entire upper line up hybrid with options. They start at 31k. If toyota goes all hybrid, why bother starting them at LX/EX gas only model prices? Just compete at the hybrid level 1:1 at 30K+.

Apple has been doing this for years - remember the iphone 8 and X fiasco? First 1000$ phone, now all phones start at 1000$.
I have no ill will toward Toyota. If they sell they sell. Capitalism is what it is. I just have concerns about the entire car market constantly moving UP in price. And not slowly might I add with base affordable vehicles literally being eliminated.

If I were in the market, I'd buy a 2024 naturally aspirated 2.5L, no auto start/stop, 8 speed auto transmission Camry.

But I won't be in the market as long as they're selling for MSRP and above.

I don't buy into the Hybrid / EV trendy drivetrains. The cost of a new Prius battery is like 2-3 times the cost of a new engine last time I was quoted for one. They are probably are nice for city driving conditions but long tripping on an EV would make me miserable killing time at the charging station.

I only like the front end because it has a sort of future proofed design as when the 2018 came out it already looked like it was from 2015 and when the 2015 camry came out it looked like it was from 2009, looking older style than the 2014 which looked like the newer gen imo.

I don't buy into the Hybrid / EV trendy drivetrains. The cost of a new Prius battery is like 2-3 times the cost of a new engine last time I was quoted for one. They are probably are nice for city driving conditions but long tripping on an EV would make me miserable killing time at the charging station.
Interesting how you moved this from hybrids to EVs.

Go ask honda :) I am right

Parallel operation only means that the engine runs the wheels and the motor to generate electricity, unlike toyota, where the electric motor AND engine can output power to the wheels. The 2 stage clutch in the honda system does not allow this. Its either in gear one or gear two, not both at the same time.
This is your surmise and is not reflected anywhere in the link you provided.
From experience, I can tell you that the electric motor does play a roll at all times.
Why else would battery pack charge vary widely under steady state highway cruising conditions?

From experience, I can tell you that the electric motor does play a roll at all times.
Why else would battery pack charge vary widely under steady state highway cruising conditions?
Here's a perspective on this discussion. Watch the video for a couple of minutes and see what you think.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you are serious about engine cost is less than the battery. Last time I check a replacement Prius engine is like 10k if the rod poke through the cylinder wall, and the battery pack with core exchange from OEM is around 6-8k including labor. The main point is, a hybrid battery (NiMh) should last 12 years 150k miles at least, likely 15 years 180k from my understanding, and the gas you saved during this time vs a gas only model (base) is a lot more than this.

I don't think anyone other than old people wanting bragging rights would want a V6 these days, just like 20 years ago only old people buying Caddy and Buick would want a V8.

I wish they have a 1.8L version of Camry with a good hybrid system. It should be fast enough and the electric part should be able to accelerate the car fast enough with a 1.8L. Maybe they did severe Atkinson cycle to make that 2.5L behave more like a 1.6 or 1.8 as needed using VVTI? If so I guess that'll work.

2023 Toyota Corolla/Dimensions
183″ L x 70″ W x 57″ H

2011 Camry Dimensions
189″ L x 72″ W x 58″ H
Without looking up numbers, just going by "feel", want to say my '21 Corolla feels a bit bigger on the inside than my '99 Camry. But the '99 took up more space in my garage, larger trunk and engine bay.

But it's easier to get in and out of my '99 than my '21 Corolla. I'd swear, but don't hold me to it, the '99 might have the edge on the '21 Camry too.

2021 Camry comes in at 193x72x57.
1999 Camry comes in at 189x70x55.

TBH they're all close... but sure feel different. [Used to have a 2011 Camry in the garage.]

I quoted the link, get some glasses bro.

Back