2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5, V6

The engine and transmission don't like each other. Test drive it. Get a feel particularly coming out of, say, a right hand turn where you're going 10mph and hit the gas. Gonna be a lag. Gear hunts on the interstate between 5th and 6th so most people force it to stay in 5th. The engine needs and is comfortable at higher RPMs - don't be afraid to hit 3500rpm in it.

But pretty much reliable as hell and I wouldn't say don't buy it.

I owned a 2019 for a year and mostly hated it. If you are tall its uncomfortable without seat spacers, the transmission hunts all the time and never feels right. If your heart is set one a Tacoma, get the previous gen 2015 and older.

How about a 4runner. Any better?
I think so. Slow, but bullet proof. That dual vvti 4.0L NA V6, in my biased opinion, is the most reliable production engine ever made. I said this in another thread, but the Car Care Nut on youtube, who is a seasoned Toyota mechanic, has said he's never had to tear one down, and that engine has been out since like 2010. He's got it on the his personal list of Toyota hall of fame engines. Now is comfy on the inside? Only you can decide that.

+1 on the 4Runner, unless you need a truck. I’ve only driven a 3rd gen once. It was a pool truck that was being serviced at a shop I worked at. The seat was wet and it was a 2.7 4 cylinder but it rode pretty good and the seats didn’t bother me after all. I also had a 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0 for a year. I never had any comfort issues. I wish I kept it.

I realize this is a 1 in a million example, but my wife’s co worker bought a 2023 4R Off Road Premium just like hers. Same color even. The transmission died in 5000 miles. The dealer asked if he took it off road. 😑

The wife’s 2022 has been issue free for 40k miles since we bought it new. Has a little too much tech for me, but it is what it is. Mom’s 2015 Pro has just over 100k. Zero issues.

I like them. Reliable and simple.

I won’t sugarcoat it: Seat comfort is really bad. I am 6’1”, athletic build. I am sore on road trips. The seats are very low and short, so if you have longer legs they’re just not big enough. Seat jackers help, but now my head sometimes hits the ceiling and I can’t see red lights.

Power delivery is also terrible. Many blame the engine, but it’s actually the transmission. Cruise control basically never uses 6th gear, so write off that feature.

These trucks are very good off road, but I am probably selling mine soon because it’s so bad in other areas.

Ahhh, the most hated truck on BITOG; the 3rd gen Toyota Tacoma...

I've had two 3rd gens, a 2021 TRD Offroad with the automatic and now my current 2022 TRD Offroad in a 6 speed manual. I put 25K on the automatic truck and the transmission behavior just got to me. I liked the truck enough I just traded it for a manual. I like manual's better anyways so I could have probably lived with the automatic truck, but I found a great deal on a manual truck that was optioned how I originally wanted in a 3rd gen.

It's not a really comfortable ride at all. Almost like a log wagon on the Oregon trail. It rides like an oldschool truck. The 4Runner will be very similar. I personally do not mind. If you want comfortable go with a sedan or full size truck.

The 3.5L V6 needs revs if you want to feel "the power". Tooling around town it does just fine. Smash on it to get onto the interstate it does fine as well.

If you want comfort and power, look at something else. If you want something somewhat reliable then look at the Tacoma.

A co-worker recently went from a full size 2017 Chevy truck to a 2021 TRD Sport that has all the bells and whistles. He seems to really like it, but knew all the shortcomings going into it after talking to me.

I have owned quite a few Tacomas (1st & 2nd gen’s). I think they are great truck regardless of generation. Obviously there are significant pros and cons of each gen but overall a solid truck.

The 4Runner rides slightly better in the comfort department but it towed poorly IMHO and was slightly underpowered.

I am all about Toyota trucks but my wife’s 2016 Highlander is a much better overall vehicle IF you don’t Offroad. If you tow OP Tacoma is the best. Ride comfort, gas mileage, maneuverability, power, and winter conditions are all areas where the Highlander dominates. The Highlander isn’t a 4X4 however it is AWD which I believe is a better system for **winter driving** unless I was stuck in a ditch (4x4 is better here).

You MAY disappointed coming from a Highlander into either a 4Runner or Tacoma. My wife threatens to hurt me if I trade in her Highlander for a 4Runner. We owned a 4Runner and she hated it but I would love to get another 4Runner.

Now, our 2020 Tundra TRD Offroad trumps the ride quality of any of the above vehicles mentioned. No comparison, very comfortable ride period. BUT it’s a large and inefficient truck. With reality stated…I would never WILLINGLY trade my Tundra for the Tacoma or 4Runner.

In regard to the transmission cooler debate on certain years of Tundras…

If you want to drive the Tundra like a supped up 1996 Honda Civic rice rocket or you are a self proclaimed Albert Einstein of the driving world (sarcasm obvious) then get a aftermarket cooler. No biggies…my comment applies to those that have a 7k travel trailer going 80 plus mph in the left lane wondering why their transmission temps are soooo high.

If you drive the Tundra like it’s a 6k pound pickup truck it will be just fine. I monitor my temps 24/7. I tow and use it as a family vehicle and I am able to keep temps right around 200. Yes it spikes at times to 220ish but drops very quickly. The only thing I plan to do is a fluid swap every 30k. There has not be a rash of blown transmissions in the mode years that lack the cooler. Half ton truck owners are by far the most dangerous and largest Aholes in my neck of the woods…they give guys like me a bad rap.

Ahhh, the most hated truck on BITOG; the 3rd gen Toyota Tacoma...

I've had two 3rd gens, a 2021 TRD Offroad with the automatic and now my current 2022 TRD Offroad in a 6 speed manual. I put 25K on the automatic truck and the transmission behavior just got to me. I liked the truck enough I just traded it for a manual. I like manual's better anyways so I could have probably lived with the automatic truck, but I found a great deal on a manual truck that was optioned how I originally wanted in a 3rd gen.

It's not a really comfortable ride at all. Almost like a log wagon on the Oregon trail. It rides like an oldschool truck. The 4Runner will be very similar. I personally do not mind. If you want comfortable go with a sedan or full size truck.

The 3.5L V6 needs revs if you want to feel "the power". Tooling around town it does just fine. Smash on it to get onto the interstate it does fine as well.

If you want comfort and power, look at something else. If you want something somewhat reliable then look at the Tacoma.

A co-worker recently went from a full size 2017 Chevy truck to a 2021 TRD Sport that has all the bells and whistles. He seems to really like it, but knew all the shortcomings going into it after talking to me.
I have found the majority of people who rip on the Tacoma have little to no taste in vehicles. A direct alternative is never suggested either. It’s always a full sized truck or suburbia cross over thing designed for commuting, hauling multiple humans, and goods.
He said 2021 or older Tundra.
I read it as a 2021 (Tacoma) or older Tundra. My bad. Lol

I have found the majority of people who rip on the Tacoma have little to no taste in vehicles. A direct alternative is never suggested either. It’s always a full sized truck or suburbia cross over thing designed for commuting, hauling multiple humans, and goods.

The 3rd gens do have a lot of shortcomings, I'll strait up say that. I just haven't been a big fan of the competitors. I've had 4 Tacoma's so far. I would have a full size if I needed it, but 98% of the time my truck is just taking me to work. However, if I need to make a Lowe's run I have it and don't have to worry about trying to get something home. Not the best daily driver at 20mpg, but that's what I have the Camry for if I need fuel mileage. I don't drive a whole lot anyways.

The 3rd gens do have a lot of shortcomings, I'll strait up say that. I just haven't been a big fan of the competitors. I've had 4 Tacoma's so far. I would have a full size if I needed it, but 98% of the time my truck is just taking me to work. However, if I need to make a Lowe's run I have it and don't have to worry about trying to get something home. Not the best daily driver at 20mpg, but that's what I have the Camry for if I need fuel mileage. I don't drive a whole lot anyways.
It’s an old design that’s simple and works.

Nothing wrong with a 3rd Gen. IF:

5' 9" or so, or under - seat feels just fine
MT. 6 speed is great tranny
Regear the diffs, 4.88
RWD LOW switch
Tune the engine. There is a LOT of power muzzled in the V6

I added air lockers, F&R

My ONLY gripe, really? Is squeaking clutch pedal at 25K. It's like Toyota didn't test it all. Gonna lube it today.

Back