2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5, V6

I lubed the clutch lever/linkage above the pedal on my Tacoma. Pretty sure it never had any kind of lubricant from the factory. Simply amazing. It's never been this quiet.

A 22-present Frontier would probably be a better option if ride quality and seat comfort are important. I owned a 22’ for a year and found it to be pretty comfortable on long trips. The 3.8 V6 has plenty of punch. It beats the brakes off the 3.5 V6.

I have had my 2018 since April of 2018.
Used it as my work truck while I was a consultant in the Delaware basin in west Texas. It was paid off in 6 months. Had to have a truck in that role.

I then used it to drive to construction sites all over Texas. The truck is best suited for back roads and not interstates but again I was just never had a reason to replace it. I am 6’ 225 and the seats will make you take some breaks on long trips I can tolerate about 3 hours before which isn’t healthy anyway.

I have towed a lot of trailers and a boat for long distances. Never has a problem

I have 86600 on it and it has been retired from work and commuting. My wife uses it for errands and I use it to go fishing ( 150-200 miles each way down to corpus and fish the island or go offshore, or do truck stuff hauling mulch etc for the house. Its accumulation of mileage has slowed down.

During past 3or 4 months I changed all the fluids flushed the powersteeri g and breaks. More of a reflection of my driving style the brakes are original and probably have another year on them. I will go through the ball joints and steering linkage and struts and shocks in the next year. Never getting rid of it replacement trucks cost too much.

I commute in a Corolla cross hybrid now and appreciate using the right vehicle. The truck rides like a covered wagon in comparison.

Things I will note about this generation Tacoma

Wind is everything for mileage. Driving beyond 65 mph starts compounding fuel consumption.the truck like to drive at 80-85 no problem but expect it to cost you.

The 4wd system and try off-road upgrades are rarely used in real life. When I was in the oil field I only needed the ground clearance. I still use the system for beach driving but that’s really mild use. If I still lived in Colorado I would still have my 4 runners for the trails. The Tacoma can do the same trails but less comfortably with a worse departure angle that could cause some hangups.

Don’t be afraid to put your foot into it. The transmission logic will happily keep it in low rpm’s for mileage if you let it. If you aren’t zipping past 3500 rpm’s occasionally you are not driving it right.

Motor oil. I like running m1 0w40 in mine just because it’s a bargain for what it is. I don’t think the truck cares 0w20 to 15w40 if your climate allows.

No real issues. Wish mine had led headlights. 6 years old and all the plastics and finishes moldings annd fabrics are holding up Well except the Tonneau cover is sun faded as is the air vent cover below the windshield. Interior has held up well as had the glass which amazingly for the service is all original.

Look at the hood closely they may have addressed it by 22 but mine developed som indents two softball size . Not real noticeable but it was from how they adhered the inner hood frame to the external skin. Had it replaced once and it reappeared on that hood. . The good news is no one else notices it.

I did add wetokole seat covers in late 2018 and they added some comfort and protection. Unlike all my other. 4wd Toyotas I have had I kept this one stock but will upgrade the suspension but have no intention of upsizing e wheels and tires.

The first set of tires was replaced at 41 k ( oilfield roads chipped the original Goodyears up)and the general grabber ats I replaced them with have held up well but they will age out next year without wearing out the tread.

not much else to say about it other than it’s mine till it stops running or it gets totaled and I will pass it down to a nephew if I go first.

The LED headlight package is simply amazing! I had the halogens in my 2021 TRD OR and they were OK. The 2022 I currently have has the LED package and they're excellent! Our 2023 Camry has LED projectors and while pretty good, they just don't compare to the Tacoma.

The LED headlight package is simply amazing! I had the halogens in my 2021 TRD OR and they were OK. The 2022 I currently have has the LED package and they're excellent! Our 2023 Camry has LED projectors and while pretty good, they just don't compare to the Tacoma.
Yes I have them on the Corolla cross and it is a much better night driving experience. Now I will look up the parts for the 22 led’s lol

Yes I have them on the Corolla cross and it is a much better night driving experience. Now I will look up the parts for the 22 led’s lol
I'm slowly starting to like the LED's on my Corolla. I did not like them on our Camry the other night, the cutoff is too sharp, but I will say, they beat the yellow lights I'm used to.

A trailer is light years more useful than any current US manufactured mid size or half ton pickup. It’s way easier to load being 18 inches vs the god awful load height. Even a 3500lb single axle trailer can out haul the truck bed. The 3rd gen Tacoma sucks plain and simple. 😛

Even a 3500lb single axle trailer can out haul the truck bed.
True, but then what do you pull said trailer with? That’s my dilemma, a RAV4 will be a comfy ride that can’t pull that (safely), while a bigger SUV is apt to cost money.

Moved 4 years ago, using my Tundra and said trailer. Put little into the truck, too annoying. Haven’t liked trucks as much since, but, what tows as well?

They're ungodly expensive if you buy them separately, even though they were only a $485 option from factory. The wiring is also different, but there are a couple good vendors that make adapter harnesses that are plug and play. Don't even bother with the aftermarket assemblies; they don't compare to the OEM.

I'm slowly starting to like the LED's on my Corolla. I did not like them on our Camry the other night, the cutoff is too sharp, but I will say, they beat the yellow lights I'm used to.

Same complaint I have on our '23. I drive all rural and even high beams don't shine as far out as I'd like. The Tacoma has a much better pattern for those dark country roads.

A trailer is light years more useful than any current US manufactured mid size or half ton pickup. It’s way easier to load being 18 inches vs the god awful load height. Even a 3500lb single axle trailer can out haul the truck bed. The 3rd gen Tacoma sucks plain and simple. 😛
What?

I have nothing against trailers but they are a pain to use 90% of the time, in the sense of driving into town for just about everything I do. In fact anything I bought in the last 4 years for all the projects, would not have needed a trailer. I didn't need a trailer. Sure ultimate payload capacity is not huge at around 1500#, and yes could tow a larger load, but I'm not often needing 16 sacks of concrete or whatever.

I contend comparing a truck and dump trailer is apples and oranges. Trailers are cheaper, but not cheap for what they are new. They sit there. You can't drive your trailer.

The 10%, you are correct. I want to get another trailer to flatbed my ZT mower - well if needed. But not needed now. I had a trailer, before never really used it - it just sat there. Trailers are good, select a multipurpose trailer and tow it with your small/medium pick-up.

My 2019 Tacoma is perfectly fine. Thanks.

They're ungodly expensive if you buy them separately, even though they were only a $485 option from factory. The wiring is also different, but there are a couple good vendors that make adapter harnesses that are plug and play. Don't even bother with the aftermarket assemblies; they don't compare to the OEM.

Same complaint I have on our '23. I drive all rural and even high beams don't shine as far out as I'd like. The Tacoma has a much better pattern for those dark country roads.
Just get H11 LED bulbs. They work fine. This is what I use, the color isn’t obnoxiously blue like most cheaper Amazon options.

DDM:

Alternative:

The last time you test drive a vehicle did they let you take it halfway across the country from sea level to 9,000 feet on multiple interstates?

You went from highway travel to cross country travel at multiple sea levels. Which one is it?

If the highway experience is bad, one would think a potential buyer was capable of catching on before purchase.

You went from highway travel to cross country travel at multiple sea levels. Which one is it?
Those are the same thing.

If the highway experience is bad, one would think a potential buyer was capable of catching on before purchase.
I bought the truck in Texas. I then moved back to Colorado. The truck is used for road trips across the western US.

And, no, a 20 min test drive on flat ground at sea level was not enough.

I have driven the truck all over the US. It’s exclusively used for road trips and off road. The truck’s drivetrain simply cannot handle highway grades very well. Even in Texas hill country it struggled.
I drove stickshift for too long. In my Tundra I found that I "had" to use Sport mode (ha!) and lock out upper gears so as to make the driving experience "better".

I can't prove it, but I felt that I actually gained mpg doing that. On my rolling hills in NH, locking out 6th (on 55mph or so roads) meant my truck was more apt to stay in gear and not shift, and the extra bit of rpm on the flats didn't actually cost me mpg. Does not seem to make sense, but I felt much better locking out sixth unless if I was on the highway.

"Downshifting" isn't the same as "struggling". Simply rev'ing up means that more power was needed. Don't know about you, but I "downshift" when I walk up a hill--you know, breath harder. Doesn't mean I'm struggling, just means... I'm doing a bit more work than normal.

“Downshifting" isn't the same as "struggling". Simply rev'ing up means that more power was needed. Don't know about you, but I "downshift" when I walk up a hill--you know, breath harder. Doesn't mean I'm struggling, just means... I'm doing a bit more work than normal.
Yes it is, and I’ll explain why: the truck doesn’t have enough gears for comfortable highway driving. A slight grade or headwind is enough to overcome the low power/low rpm state and force a downshift.

Once the downshift occurs, the engine is revving significantly higher, such that the truck cant help but accelerate.

The end result is a yo-yo effect during highway driving that oscillates between underpowered 6th gear losing speed and overpowered 4th or 5th gear gaining speed. It’s incredibly taxing. And don’t get me started on cruise control - it’ll downshift 2-3 gears and rev the snot out of it for any incline.

Yes, you can select 5th gear, but this limits the max speed you can go and still return tolerable mileage. Yes, you can tune and regear (which I have done) but they are not a full solution.

Yes, you can select 5th gear, but this limits the max speed you can go and still return tolerable mileage. Yes, you can tune and regear (which I have done) but they are not a full solution.
Not following this. But maybe "tolerable mpg" is the issue. To do work, you have to burn gas, so... yeah the mpg goes down in the hills.

Regearing is going to do the same thing, increase rpm in each gear.

Can't win. Either accept the hunting (turn up the radio?) or lock out a gear, and take a slight mpg hit. You can always let it go into top gear on the flats, and proactively drop down before the hill. Used to have to do that in the bad old days.

I know on my prior Toyota's I stopped using cruise because of hunting like this. It'd do double downshifts, then hunt. Want to say, I could nip that by clicking one down, lock out 6th, and it'd be much better--but in general, for mpg, I gave up on cruise, I could do vastly better building a bit of speed before the hill, then letting it droop as I ascended. YMMV of course, my hills are pretty tame.

Back