2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD

Wow....30mpg....it would be really interesting to know your mpg as your miles build up.
Keep us updated if you will

Now today my 20 mile trip back home consisted of several WOT passes so it definitely decreased. Dash said 23.5. Still not hateful compared to my 3rd gens.

I think the 30mpg was a fluke. I was super easy on the throttle and never had to get into it on any of the hills. Who knows...

I’m a big fan of turbos in trucks. The low end rpm in the ecoboost 2.7 is usable and though softly, it whistles up hills and in moderate acceleration. Once warmed up, the shift tuning keeps all the activity under 2k rpm. It’s the closest to a diesel that I’ve driven, and I like it. I think the turbo 4 in the taco, if it gets similar treatment, should rock awesome.

Now today my 20 mile trip back home consisted of several WOT passes so it definitely decreased. Dash said 23.5. Still not hateful compared to my 3rd gens.

I think the 30mpg was a fluke. I was super easy on the throttle and never had to get into it on any of the hills. Who knows...
Probably a fluke, possibly tailwinds and perfect conditions. But still, mighty impressive. And your 23.5 with several WOT passes is respectable too. I'm thinking Toyota hit this one out of the park but time will tell.

Hmmm...

54b05gb.jpg

giphy.gif

Guess I did it again? 🤷‍♂️

Bet you guys are tired of me posting about the truck, but I'm about 1,000 miles in and have a couple things of note.

Engine performance has been great, and tanks have been around 24mpg. Not hateful honestly.

As the transmission has been learning I have noticed and odd behavior that may be a feature. I live in a rural area will many rolling hills. Now that the the transmission has learned a little bit letting your foot off the throttle going down a hill the transmission will downshift and do a form of engine braking. Then going back into a flat it will upshift. I don't know why, but I find this super annoying. The rest of the shifting behavior is excellent. Driving down the mountain in S4 or S5 it will really engine brake. The engine is VERY buzzy and you can feel it through the pedal/floor. Unfortunately a characteristic of a 4 cylinder.

Wireless Android Auto is very quirky in this truck. Some weeks I'll have to constantly manually go into the settings and re-enable it to get it to work and play my music off Pandora. Only once has it completely refused to connect to my phone and required a restart. The rest of the JBL system sounds pretty decent for what it is. Every time I hop in the Camry I'll immediately notice the lack of bass.

So, I'm a hot weather person and don't use AC all that frequently. So I crack a window or have it down. Two things I notice here. Window all the way down going about 55mph there's some serious wind buffeting going on and you'll have to crack the passenger window or rear sliding open to not blow your ear drums out. If it's raining forget about cracking your window. Water going right into the cabin instantly and something constant. I'll have to get vent shades whenever they become available. This is something that never was an issue on my 2nd and 3rd gens.

With the coil spring suspension I notice it's actually more bouncy compared to the 3rd gen. Certain bumps or dips in the road you gotta be really careful as it feels really unbalanced for a split second. Never had this on the 2nd or 3rd gens.

Overall I still love the truck, but it's got some annoyances to me that may not be an issue for others.

Thanks for the report.

That MPG looks great!

Really and honestly - the 20 mpg is the only thing I hate about my Gen 3, sometimes 18 mpg!!. Maybe I'm mind numbed, but I still love my tuned/geared MT 2019.

Toyota usually has first year "teething issues" but unlike some Domestic manufacturers they actually try to fix them. The first year Tundra Turbo waste gate problems were taking care of as soon as they figured out the issues-which included removing the cab for repair.
Congrats on the new truck!

Back