Dont understand the GC mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Badlees
I've tried Pennzoil YB, Pennzoil PP, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Havoline, NAPA Syn, Valvoline WB, Mobil 1, Rotella, Rotella Syn and Shell Dino all in different weights. MOTORCRAFT 5w20 has by far been the oil I like the most. The truck runs better on a heavy 5w20 (MotorCraft) or a light 5w30 (Havloline dino). I have 70k on my truck and it took that long to find the right oil. Just my opinion for my driving style, commute and price.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L

Doesnt that engine require 5W20 anyway?

FWIW my 05 Vibe with the Toyota 1zzfe engine shows *no* visible consumption using GC but does consume with any other 5W30 I have tried...albeit not excessive.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I suspect that it would burn less 5W30 since it's a bit thicker.

And it has a higher flash point than most oils.

And, compared to some other top-shelf oils, it uses less ester, so contaminants (especially fuel) won't eat it up as quickly.

The thing is, on the flip side, oils with bigger viscosity spreads are generally more volatile, all else equal.

So, if you compare GC to a lower end or high-ester 5w-30, it'll probably be consumed more slowly. However, if you compare it to a 5w-30 with a similar formulation, it might be consumed faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back