Maxima VQ 3.5L to M1 Euro 0w40, any concern about the cats?

Hello,
I did an oil change to our 2011 Nissan Maxima 2 weeks ago and for the first time used M1 euro 0w40 and a Nissan filter. PUP 5w30 was in the sump for the previous OCI. Well I see no concern at all driving the vehicle now. And probably dare to say it seems to pull harder and runs quieter than before.
Car has 97k miles and runs well with a healthy engine. It doesn't burn or loose oil but noticed some gas smell in the previous 2 oil changes with PUP 5w30.
After reading a lot about previous experiences with 0w40 oils decided to give it a shot. The rationale was about better protection for extremes of temperature and more timing chain and main bearing lubrication. We have the car for 3 years now and it's a reliable ride. Likely we're keeping this car til it dies which I think will be a long time.
The main question here: is this M1 European 0w40 safe for the precats and main cat (being a euro oil with higher Zinc and Phosphorus)? Excuse my noobness here and educate me on this please. Engine is a classic port injection with variable timing with feets and feets of long timing chain. I don't want to shorten the cat life 🐈
I appreciate your input.

Very popular viscosity for VQ engines. I've got Castrol Edge in mine.

Nothing to be concerned about... Like the guys have said.

I have run nothing but 5w30s and occasional 10w30s in my Nissan Altima VQ with 323,000 miles....

An oil can only damage the catalytic converter if the engine is consuming a significant amount of oil. Is the vehicle an oil burner? If not then it doesn't make much difference which oil you use.

My old Sienna consumes about a quart every 3000 to 3500 miles. I have been using either Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 for about the last six years. It still has the original catalytic converter and I have no codes, so that gives some indication.

Nothing to be concerned about... Like the guys have said.

I have run nothing but 5w30s and occasional 10w30s in my Nissan Altima VQ with 323,000 miles....
You're the second one I've read about this week that uses 5w30 and has over 300k on thier vq..I bought some m1 0w40 but am second guessing it now..

You're the second one I've read about this week that uses 5w30 and has over 300k on thier vq..I bought some m1 0w40 but am second guessing it now..
Another guy at Maxima.org has 530k miles on his original 09 Maxima engine using M1 vanilla 5w30 every 5k miles

Nothing wrong with M1 0w40 in the VQ. In fact, it's a popular choice among people who have them. Castrol Edge 0w30 is what I used when I had my Maxima, and T6 HDEO is also commonly used in the VQ.

M1 0w40 won't shorten your cat's life. Rust will :cry:

There are better filters then the OEM Nissan Mexican Gonher. My choice would be any Fram 7317, or the Napa Platinum 47356 (Wix 57356XP) when it goes on sale.

Ehhhh I am very sure a 0w40 would be just fine in a VQ motor... That's a great oil in regards to specs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5....

chart (2).jpeg

I just like running the 5w30s myself.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with M1 0w40 in the VQ. In fact, it's a popular choice among people who have them. Castrol Edge 0w30 is what I used when I had my Maxima, and T6 HDEO is also commonly used in the VQ.

M1 0w40 won't shorten your cat's life. Rust will :cry:

There are better filters then the OEM Nissan Mexican Gonher. My choice would be any Fram 7317, or the Napa Platinum 47356 (Wix 57356XP) when it goes on sale.
Agree with the fram 7317, oem is tiny...luckily no rust to worry about in tn

You’re overthinking and stressing it, and that’s normal, hence this forum.

0w40 will do you well, won’t mess the CATS up either. Don’t like it? Go back to the 30 weight. Head over to the 350z forums, look how many use 0w40 with no ill affects, it’s a light weight 40 anyways.

I have a VQ, with a oil cooler though, so I don’t need a 40 weight whether I push the car or not, I’m happy with my M1 EP 5w30 and if I do decide to track, I wouldn’t think twice on M1 0w40.

OEM are 2 sizes, the "book" tiny version and the longer one (equivalent to M110 or Fram 7317). I'm using the bigger OEM one.
OEM for Nissan 3.7L and smaller is the equivalent of Fram's 6607. On 4.0L VQs and larger - and only trucks, SUVs, etc, I believe - the OEM spec is the equivalent of the 7317. Nowhere does Nissan call out the longer filter for Maximas, G35/37, etc.

Back