2018 tuned/tracked Golf Sportwagen 100K/4K OCI HPL Euro 5W40 - uh-oh.....

I revised my UOA data table and normalized Si values for the HPL using the VOA values as it has ~10ppm Si in it.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 211009.jpg

So VW spec'ing VW502 full saps oil for my car is an issue? Yes, TGDI, why is a full saps oil problematic? That's what I run now and have been running for 5 years.

Just wondering.

As the internet would have you believe, Calcium above 1500 ppm iskilling off T-GDI left, right and center.

Just wondering.

As the internet would have you believe, Calcium above 1500 ppm iskilling off T-GDI left, right and center.
Long believed that high Ca, as in the full SAPS oils, was leading cause of IVD. Could contribute, but newer SP formulas with much lower Ca are still leaving deposits. I believe it is more of an inherent design flaw of DI in general coupled with poor vapor management that causes the problem. I ran Full SAPS VW 502 for over 60K in my GTI and it had hardly any deposits.

Yes, so please explain all of my UOAs over multiple vehicles with K&N that have no elevated Si? This blanket statement doesn't work likey you/others want it too. Plus, here is the magical BITOG-approve dry flow filter and guess what? You see the data...I've also seen high Si with paper filters and of course BITOG-verse...silence...there is more than one variable here.

I have 5 years of UOAs on that graph with K&N and now the dry filter for all of it, look at the Si...it's normal for all of it sans the repair with the sealer and the overall increase going to HPL that has ~10ppm VOA.

Right, it hasn't effected other reports. I'm just spitballing as I'm a bit stumped. How old is the filter? Is it possible it could've developed a small tear? Again, just spitballing.

I don't see where the sealant would have silicon, but I could be wrong about that.

Right, it hasn't effected other reports. I'm just spitballing as I'm a bit stumped. How old is the filter? Is it possible it could've developed a small tear? Again, just spitballing.

I don't see where the sealant would have silicon, but I could be wrong about that.
*cough* *cough* shouldn't have oiled a dry filter *cough* :p.

Had a Racingline R600 intake that is similar in design as the Unitronic, except for an oiled foam filter instead of gauze. Great intake design, but doubt it moved anymore air than the stock airbox with front duct mod. I think the OE paper filter was probably better at filtering than the aftermarket foam unit though.

Had a Racingline R600 intake that is similar in design as the Unitronic, except for an oiled foam filter instead of gauze. Great intake design, but doubt it moved anymore air than the stock airbox with front duct mod. I think the OE paper filter was probably better at filtering than the aftermarket foam unit though.
I never was much a fan of the foam filters, the K&N style to me is the best of the high-flow filter designs. OE paper is for sure the highest efficiency filter.

The filter is less than a year old, looks "new". I replaced it when I saw f. dust last year, I just think I have something else leaking but really can't figure out where...will replace filter again and all hose clamps. Will really work on making sure the turbo and all fittings are sealed well. If it won't go away, I'll figure out a new intake. Also still trying to see if K&N makes a filter that will work here. Yes, sealant I used has no Si, Red Herring but I had forgotten that I used it...now just use some teflon tape, no idea why the drain bolt weeps a bit but I hate cranking them down and it's an aluminum oil pan so don't want to strip it.

Update!

BS reran the sample. Wear metals are all spot-on/within a ppm. However....100 deg C viscosity is now in-line with expectation at 12.7 cST . So no issue on the vicosity which is great to hear, wear metals are a big concern based on the historical values but I'm sure the engine is just fine, just need to focus on why the dust is getting into the intake with a supposed "good" high-flow dry filter. Still exploring whether K&N makes a filter that will fit but it doesn't seem so with the v. narrow opening it has to fit through and the dimensions of the carbon fiber box. If it was an open-element style intake it would be no issue. I did note some comments with another popular intake for my car/VW MK7s that utilizes a dry-flow filter with similar results of a dusty intake tube. I also backed out the VOA Si from all the HPL UOAs to normalize them (yellow highlighted values).

I just ordered a new filter and hose clamps for my intake to hopefully rectify dust issue for this next OCI which will have 4x track days and ~4K miles. I'm back from the ledge/Hari-kari/no need to re-up my Zanax Rx from taking all them in the last 24 hours 🤣🤣🤣 Back to your regularly schedule review of mundane/low mileage UOAs for normally driven cars in the UOA sub.

S012168-page-001.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-01 103906.jpg

Last edited:
Engines are only 2-3k on ebay. Send it.
100%, a used 1.8 e888.3 is dirt cheap and not a hard thing to change....plus an excuse to put a bigger turbo on, MPI, and a spicer exhaust cam to get me north of 400whp!

It is always good to verify the data when you see something that does not make sense. Good suggestion Rdy4war. The elevated dirt confirms what you would expect to see. If you see iron and aluminum raised together, common sense, would say dirt between the two generates that wear. I would also add that your numbers are overall extremely low and we are honestly splitting hairs. Also change the scale on your graph as 0 to 10 ppm makes a 1 PM change, which is absolutely nothing look like a noticeable change to scale to 100 ppm, and it would be more realistic. It appears the oil is serving you quite well. I really wouldn’t worry about it. Actually if you came back with the sample that said 500 ppm iron and 300 ppm aluminum I would bet you four tickets to the Daytona 500. You would pull the engine apart and never see it. I am not being critical. These are just observations. Some of the dirtiest environments are what we see in the world of outlaws sprint cars in the oils. Life is absolutely shortened because of the dirt content and we change oil because it is polluted not because it is used up. I wouldn’t worry about these numbers even though they’re elevated they’re extremely low.

Another note worth mentioning is that the manufacturers of the ICPs will only quote reproduceability of plus or minus 10%. The window is quite large. We run very slow to maintain accuracy on our instruments which by comparison we have a five minute scan time versus about 20 seconds in the oil lab. The fact that Blackstone reproduce the numbers accurately is a compliment to them.

It’s always a good practice to confirm results before getting too excited.

David

To be fair this isn't BITOG. I was just curious if you had a tune that eliminated the chance of LSPI, like boost coming in higher in the rpm range.
LSPI isn't an issue on the VW turbo 4s. Boost comes on down low when you lug it for sure. Again, full-SAPS oils are what is spec'd from VW...it's fine here.

It is always good to verify the data when you see something that does not make sense. Good suggestion Rdy4war. The elevated dirt confirms what you would expect to see. If you see iron and aluminum raised together, common sense, would say dirt between the two generates that wear. I would also add that your numbers are overall extremely low and we are honestly splitting hairs. Also change the scale on your graph as 0 to 10 ppm makes a 1 PM change, which is absolutely nothing look like a noticeable change to scale to 100 ppm, and it would be more realistic. It appears the oil is serving you quite well. I really wouldn’t worry about it. Actually if you came back with the sample that said 500 ppm iron and 300 ppm aluminum I would bet you four tickets to the Daytona 500. You would pull the engine apart and never see it. I am not being critical. These are just observations. Some of the dirtiest environments are what we see in the world of outlaws sprint cars in the oils. Life is absolutely shortened because of the dirt content and we change oil because it is polluted not because it is used up. I wouldn’t worry about these numbers even though they’re elevated they’re extremely low.

Another note worth mentioning is that the manufacturers of the ICPs will only quote reproduceability of plus or minus 10%. The window is quite large. We run very slow to maintain accuracy on our instruments which by comparison we have a five minute scan time versus about 20 seconds in the oil lab. The fact that Blackstone reproduce the numbers accurately is a compliment to them.

It’s always a good practice to confirm results before getting too excited.

David
I'm not following on your comment regarding the scale, this is just a ppm/1K mile scale which makes sense to use to look at relative changes vs. absolute numbers which yes, are tiny variations but to be fair, I have a ton of data so these changes aren't flukes, even if they are small they follow along quite nicely with various repairs etc. I've done. What am I missing here? The viscosity drop was my primary "the oil I'm suing" concern so I'm glad it was mentioned to re-run and BS complied without drama and yes, that number is great/why I starting using your oil in the first place. Still, the elevated wear numbers bother me b/c there is really no need for them if the filter/intake is working correctly based on my historical data.

I’m only saying the scale on your wear trends chart is too sensitive at 10 ppm which makes a small change look like a big one. Even with dirt in your intake these are good numbers. With a difference of roughly 15 ppm in iron, to put it in perspective. Walk 15 miles on a million mile walk. It is a very small number.

David
Yes I get that, if you scale it as say 100ppm/1K miles, it's a blip but worth noting and looking at which is the point here....it's not background/method/equipment noise, it's an increase based on something that hopefully I can control. Remember, this is BITOG where the minutiae matter! I mean you have folks here on this board/sub seeing 1-2 ppm increase saying that indicates one oil is better than the other where my iron doubled (absolute, still low I get) and tripled if you look at it per 1,000 miles. I'm mainly glad the vicosity hung in there which is what drives my OCIs....12.7 is still a 40 grade which is great. New intake bits ordered so hopefully I can get the dust sorted.

Back