Your Favorite Canned Man Food

Get called out in the wee hours . Out in the boonies or stuck inside of a chemical plant . Root around under the seat of the truck or in the glove box and find a can of Vienna Sausage and one of those small packs of Saltine crackers . Not the most appetizing meal but it'll get you by .

I just discovered a new form of "fish crack"

This stuff is pretty crazy good. In fact, I dare anyone to eat just one can and not go all hungry hungry hippos on the remaining cans within the remaining hours of the day.

Find the blue can variety if you can. I like it better, more meaty, less SUGAR. $2.99 CANADIAN. About $2.25US. I bought 10, should have asked for a case!!

Years ago (as a broke young adult in the early-mid 2000’s) I’d frequently eat Chef Boyardee meat (or cheese) tortellini. Both products have been discontinued, as I found out after emailing the company around 2010. The canned lasagna isn’t bad, but tastes different now. Twenty years ago, the lasagna sauce tasted more garlic-forward, which I liked. Now the canned lasagna tastes closer to the ravioli, etc. I would also eat the Clover Valley (Dollar General) vegetable beef soup, Southgate beef stew, Campbell’s Chunky Soups (when on sale for less than $1.10 each and no varieties that contained celery), and Sweet Sue (makers of that lovely canned whole chicken) chicken and dumpling soup. Canned tuna was a regular item for me, as DG sold genuine Chicken of the Sea for 50 cents a can back then. At that time in my life, my goal was living on $1/meal. When I was in college and not as miserly, I would buy the Hormel canned tamales. My wife is a native Texan from Del Rio, and she was horrified to discover the existence of canned tamales.

Yeah, apparently it depends on where it's coming from. Atlantic and Atka mackerel from Alaska are low in mercury. King mackerel, from the Western Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, has a high mercury content.
These are just little fish, not the larger "mackerel" species - so going to be low just by size. Probably not high Hg species, plus one can a week or two. Tuna worries me more. Sugar is the main problem with these.

Back