Won't be doing an analysis on My Toyota Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I had about 6 K miles on this oil change and 10 months when bad things hapened. The timng chain broke
crushedcar.gif
mad.gif
**** . Anyway this batch was the 5W-40 Rotella-T Syn. Hmmmmm-I wonder If I made a mistake with this oil
grin.gif
. The surprising part is that it is the 22RE engine and only has 85 K miles on it. So much for Toyota reliability
rolleyes.gif

Don't feel bad Al, anything can break on any car, no matter what brand. I know people that bought Hondas and Toyotas that were lemons. -Joe

i think it's a belt on that motor. if that's the case, it should be changed every 60 to 80 thousand miles. hope everything didn't slap together when it broke, although i beleive they design em not to do that now when it happens. having owned fords and having great luck, i still beleive toyota to be a manufactuer of tough trucks and fine cars. my ranger with the 3.0 v-6 has a chain, not sure about my previous 2.0 4 banger.

Ouchie.

Any idea if it messed anything else up when it broke? Hopefully not.

I have a friend who had one break on his 91 Grand Am, he said it screwed up the valves big time.

I agree with aircooled...something went wrong or you just happened to have a chain with a flaw. Most often its the guides that go first it seems. I know of one chain that went 400K before it was changed. Sorry, Al, I know this doesn't help you, but you might have just recieved one of the few chains that was flawed.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I agree with aircooled...something went wrong or you just happened to have a chain with a flaw. Most often its the guides that go first it seems. I know of one chain that went 400K before it was changed. Sorry, Al, I know this doesn't help you, but you might have just recieved one of the few chains that was flawed.
frown.gif

Yea-I think its the luck of the draw. The engine has always been babied and has had Mobil 1 most of its life. I was hoping someone on this board might have some insight on what else might need looked at. If It has been going bad for some time I might have some bad valves?? I did notice in the past 6 months The truck has more of an exhaust odor at the engine compartment. But it did have a valve cover oil leak which was fixed.

Anyway it goes to the dealer tomorrow and the fixed price I got was $1239. My understanding is that the front differential needs to be removed. The price covers all gaskets and parts. I will try to find out why it failed and also talk to the mechanic to get a feel on the cleanliness of the engine.
smile.gif

Al sorry bout your luck. That was surely is not a norm for the 22RE engine as they are virtually bulletproof, although mine went on my 89 Toy at 120K miles.

Lucky for me it didn't jump a tooth and mess up my valves at all.
fruit.gif

How could your timing chain break and not mess up the valves? I'm assuming the 22RE is an interference engine? That would be the equivelence of it jumping multiple teeth
dunno.gif

I doubt its an interference engine. The price I got didn't include any valve work and I'm sure this dealer has had this engine apart before.

That sucks Al! Any chance they could modify your engine a little bit for more power while they have it apart?
grin.gif

If I ever need to tear my engine down, I'm gonna use it as an excuse to stroke it to a 383!
smile.gif

Al, sorry to hear about your truck. The 22re is one of the best engines around, but it does have several faults. The first is the timing chain. The chain itself is not at fault, but the timing chain guides are. Toyota made them of plastic and they tend to go quite often. The other issue with this engine is valve adjustments. They must be done every so often as the valves have a tendency to stick. You will not hear any noise, but the valves burn out. Ask your mechanic about aftermarket t-chain guides that are made of metal. You may want to replace the following while you are having this work done: timing chain tensioner, water pump, thermostat. Whatever you do, do not anything other than Toyota OEM coolant. It would take too long to explain, but trust me on this one. Also, ask to have the 180 degree thermostat installed. In Japan this is the thermostat that was used. In NA they went to 190 or 195, but this engine has better longevity with the 180 t-stat. I know people that have close to 500K miles on this engine with regular mainetance and using OEM parts (oil filter, PCV valve etc..). The tranny is great other than you may have to replace shift solenoids on the automatic and bushings on the manual. This vehicle and engine have quite a following so don't let this experience change your opinion of toyota as being a reliable (if gutless) vehicle.

Sorry to hear that Al!
frown.gif
The 22 is a bulletproof motor and one of the best Toyota ever built.

I had a timing belt break on my 85 Toyota 4x4 Turbo Diesel.
shocked.gif
Good thing for me it broke as I was pulling in my driveway
grin.gif
The belt broke at 80,000 miles. No valve problems. I retired the truck this past January. The truck was sold to gentleman in Louisiana who is restoring it and the belt that was installed at 80,000 was getting ready to toast again since the carrier bearing froze.
shocked.gif
mad.gif
Needless to say the dealer never mentioned replacement of the bearing. If I was still using the truck it would have snapped by now. The mileage 140,000 when I lost compression on #3. I sold the truck since I didn't have the time to fix it. 18 years is a long time with one vehicle!
wink.gif

To make a long story short, compression was lost because of a worn valve guide according to the new owner. The motor internals are like new condition due to the steady diet of Castrol GTX every 3 months, 3000 miles. Although knowing what I know now I would use Rotella but the Castrol did a great job!

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82500 Miles.

**** that sucks Al! I have a timing chaing in my car. Are there any signs I should be looking out for? Are timming chains good for life of the engine or until they break or do they have to be replaced at some point? Very rare this happens to a Toyota. What year is it?

Just got my 92 22RE back together after a timing chain and guides replacement. Al, the price you got was for the timing chain and plastic guide replacement. You may have additional costs as I believe this is an interference engine. My truck had been grinding at the inside of the cover for several thousand miles now but only when I had the RPM's up high. The driver side guide was completely broken into many pieces.

Go for the metal guides from LE Engineering in Lake Havasu, Arizona. This engine is one of the worst to work on for something that is routine maintenance every 60-90k miles. I don't believe there is a worse design out there for what should be a simple job. Everything comes off the front of the engine and the diff has to be dropped to clear for the oil pan to be dropped. Ideally the head should be removed but most try to get around that but it is iffy to seal.

I never want to do this job again.

BTW, I had about 110k miles on mine when I replaced it. I believe that only the early 22r engines with double roller timing chains with metal guides are the only ones capable of going 400k miles without breaking or needing replacement.

Mine had a steady diet of Amsoil 10w30 with bypass for most of its life.

Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
**** that sucks Al! I have a timing chaing in my car. Are there any signs I should be looking out for? Are timming chains good for life of the engine or until they break or do they have to be replaced at some point? Very rare this happens to a Toyota. What year is it?

Past 100K, I'd say it something to look at on any engine, as the chain will stretch and the possibility of it skipping a tooth on the cam pulleys becomes greater.

Wulli, I have to agree! Toyota does some fine engineering with there products but then you see something that is absolutely ridiculous and it makes you wonder.
mad.gif

My 4-Runner is seeping M1 through the valve covers from what I can tell. The driver side is easy to replace. Then there is the passenger side. I need to remove the throttlebody and the whole intake manifold to get to it! ***
mad.gif
banghead.gif
At this point I don't know what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back