Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is dye in other oils - just not a royalty color for these serfs ...

Last edited:
Interesting responses, thanks guys. It seems that it's just not worth the money. I guess instead of running Royal Purple in my Escape in the future I'll just use my stash of clearance Havoline full synthetic and go from there... Still gonna use Royal Purple HPS in the 92 Chevy because of the flat tappet cam, but I guess there is just no point in spending extra for Royal Purple in a regular vehicle.

Quote:
but I guess there is just no point in spending extra for Royal Purple in a regular vehicle.

There isn't, especially when you can buy a cheaper version sans the purple dye, called Valvoline, for much much less than what RP sells for.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Interesting responses, thanks guys. It seems that it's just not worth the money. I guess instead of running Royal Purple in my Escape in the future I'll just use my stash of clearance Havoline full synthetic and go from there... Still gonna use Royal Purple HPS in the 92 Chevy because of the flat tappet cam, but I guess there is just no point in spending extra for Royal Purple in a regular vehicle.

Does a flat tappet cam engine require high ZDDP oil for its lifetime or only during break-in?

I find their unique stuff such as their synthetic SAE 30 interesting much like Redline's MT90 full synthetic GF4 gear oil. I just don't feel their other stuff is worth the hype.

My local WM has 5 quart jugs of RP for $20. Not bad if you want a full synthetic top tier oil change. $30+.. no thanks.

I actually returned a jug of RP 5W30 to WalMart after seeing the PQIA's VOA for it in their big 5W30 synth summary table...there was just nothing special that I could see there. Extreme cold viscosity was not good compared to the rest of the field and it had very little moly or boron. There certainly may have been great things about it that didn't show up in a VOA, but I just couldn't see paying $38 for it and feeling like I probably had something less impressive than M1 5W30 at $23. I look closely at the CCS viscosity because I need to start my car early in the morning to ski after cold, cold White Mountain nights...5W30s like M1 and QSUD have been fine for me, but I would go with a 0W30 if I could find one that had low NOACK loss, good LSPI resistance, etc.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Does a flat tappet cam engine require high ZDDP oil for its lifetime or only during break-in?

If you require elevated ZDDP in a quality synthetic package, what about the Euro grades like M1 and Edge 0W40. They are everywhere and often at an OK price.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The standard ILSAC M1 5W30 has 800 ppm Phos and 900 ppm Zinc
The Euro M1 0W40 has 1000 ppm Phos and 1100 ppm Zinc
The diesel truck M1 TDT 5W40 has 1100 ppm Phos and 1300 ppm Zinc
This is all published Mobil 1 data (nominal values) [Here]

Originally Posted By: kschachn

For its life. Those of us here in the Kollective can't get some known good oils, but we can getothers. For an older flat tappet in the SF Bay Ares, I'd run (and do run) Delo 400 15W-40 SD (severe duty) oil over most everything. It's my VR-1 replacement. We don't have freezing winters, so 15W is fine. And the narrow spread means no VII's, still with a decent add pak
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Always 2 camps. The "This oil is God's own juice" and the "I use the cheep stuff".

No, the biggest crowd is "look at all the cool synthetic oil I got on clearance"
laugh.gif

Haha, exactly.

I'm like many others here, make that RP competitive with my 20.00 jugs of synthetic at WM and I'd buy it!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Always 2 camps. The "This oil is God's own juice" and the "I use the cheep stuff".

No, the biggest crowd is "look at all the cool synthetic oil I got on clearance"
laugh.gif

Yep if you can't find a good synthetic oil on sale for under twenty dollars with a rebate you're not doing your job as a shopper. As for filters you should never be paying more than in the range of $6 to $8.40 shipped to your door free. That's a filter rated at 99% plus at 20 microns.

I have never tried RP and at the current price point I never intend to. Marketing dribble aside, is it good oil? There are all indications it is--plenty of anecdotal information on this site and others to support that stance. I think it is flashy and the purple dye is gimmicky, but it does draw attention to it so from that aspect, its marketing is working.

I knew a guy with an AC Cobra that swore by it simply because the engine builder did (all were Texas based so they were supporting the "homeboys"). When I tried to have him show me differences between RP and M1 or RP and PP, he could not and came back with the "just because" rhetoric as many here do. For me, when considering boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc., Amsoil would win hands down; it is cheaper, has more data to support its claims, and is easy enough to obtain. So while I do not "hate" RP, there is certainly no love for it either.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I used RP when it was still a Union 76 product, back in the day. It was decent oil, just not that special ...

Then the product name was spun off and it is its own business nowadays. A marketing business with some chemistry ties back to the origin.

It's a lot like Lucas Oil. Big promo and lots spent with banner adds and such, but no proof of anything ...

No scientific or engineering papers to support claims of superiority, so no evidence ...
frown.gif

RUT ROH....
RP was not born out of the Union76 offering called Royal Triton.....
http://www.royalpurple.com/company-history/

I run Royal Purple HPS 5W-30. I'm not really seeing what everyone is talking about when it comes to price. I order it from Summit or Jegs, cost $8.30 per quart for top of the line HPS Synthetic. By comparison, WalMart has Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for $7.98 per quart, Mobil 1 5W-30 for $7.03 per quart, Castrol Edge 5W-30 for $7.97 per quart, QSUD 5W-30 for $7.33 per quart.....so where is the HUGE price difference between Royal Purple's top notch HPS line, & the other off the shelf "synthetics" ? I'm pretty sure Royal Purple HPS is more "synthetic" than all those other off the shelf 5W-30's also with a better add pack to boot. Also, when you compare RP HPS to the price of AmsOil, Redline, Motul or any of the other boutique oils, they are nearly DOUBLE the price per quart of RP HPS. I'll continue to run the RP HPS & RP filter in my truck. These prices I quoted are directly off the shelf at my local WalMart.....

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I run Royal Purple HPS 5W-30. I'm not really seeing what everyone is talking about when it comes to price. I order it from Summit or Jegs, cost $8.30 per quart for top of the line HPS Synthetic. By comparison, WalMart has Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for $7.98 per quart, Mobil 1 5W-30 for $7.03 per quart, Castrol Edge 5W-30 for $7.97 per quart, QSUD 5W-30 for $7.33 per quart.....so where is the HUGE price difference between Royal Purple's top notch HPS line, & the other off the shelf "synthetics" ? I'm pretty sure Royal Purple HPS is more "synthetic" than all those other off the shelf 5W-30's also with a better add pack to boot. Also, when you compare RP HPS to the price of AmsOil, Redline, Motul or any of the other boutique oils, they are nearly DOUBLE the price per quart of RP HPS. I'll continue to run the RP HPS & RP filter in my truck. These prices I quoted are directly off the shelf at my local WalMart.....

Well, the obvious difference is that we can by M1, PUP, QSUD, etc. in 5 quart jugs whereas I only see the HPS in single quarts or boxes of 6 individual quart bottles. I think M1 5W30 is about $22/5 quarts without rebates at WM, so we're talking $4.40 a quart. Doesn't make sense to buy single quarts at WM for a change, I can only see them making sense for topoff.
For some strange reason, Jegs wants 2 cents more for a box of 6 HPS quarts than for 6 separate quart bottles...??? Cost of the box?

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez

As is usual when price is discussed, a bit of disingenuous comparison creeps in. Those prices for the other brands at Walmart are for the single quarts, but who in their right mind buys oil like that? Please compare the price to a 5-quart jug of Castrol or Mobil 1 where the per-quart price drops very close to $5 without rebate.

And speaking of "synthetics", I'll put Castrol 0W-40 up against RP 5W-30 any day. Just the number of actual specifications the oil carries will tell you everything you need to know.

Why do some people get so whacked out when discussing this oil?

I love Royal Purple! It is by far the smoothest running oil in everything I have tried it in.(Yes it is my butt and I love dyno's) This is the reason I use it.

I agree that all name brand synthetic prolly will yield the same results but I prefer Royal Purple with Synerlec for what I stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back