Adding Royal Purple HPS to Regular RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Member here, but long time reader.

Long time Royal Purple user here, I usually change oil twice a year and every 7000 miles.
I know the new Royal Purple HPS has the Synerlec additive in it, and the new regular formula doesnt to meet the API stuff. However, last fall I purchased regular royal purple and it still had "with synerlec" on the bottle from O'reillys, I'm assuming just an old batch.

I now have a small situation. This time I ordered RP from Amazon at a much cheaper price. I did not realize all of this new forumla stuff until the oil was delivered. I ordered a 5 quart jug of 5w20, and thought I ordered one quart of regular 5w20. However I was delivered a one quart bottle of the "NEW" HPS "with synerlec". This is how I discovered, that there has been a change.

My main question is this, is it safe to just add the one quart of the HPS to mix with the 5 quarts of the regular? Will the different formulations and ingredients mess stuff up? Also how much is my oil downgrading since the regular oil no longer has the synerlec additive? Thanks for the help.

Feel free to mix away, there's nothing to worry about. You can even mix different weights and as long as it meets your car's specs you're good to go.

As mentioned already,mix away!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CamAllen
Also how much is my oil downgrading since the regular oil no longer has the synerlec additive? Thanks for the help.

Personally, I don't like mixing, but that's just me. If I want to run regular RP, I'll run regular RP. If I want to run HPS, I'll go get it. But, dealing with one straggling bottle you have isn't a concern in the least.

And one cannot call the removal of Synerlec a downgrade. Different specifications require different formulations - that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back