Impressed with Royal Purple HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Generally speaking going from a 5w-40 to a 5w-30 in the winter should help those things you a described a bit. Especially in colder climates. Not a bash against RP, just saying.

Some it is also subjective. Do you remember the noise exactly after you changed the oil the last time vs this time. Or comparing how its sounds with fresh oil vs used and ready to be changed?

Yes it can be subjective but I gave it over a week and around 300 miles in use. The one thing I love about Royal Purple is that it's stays quiet throughout the OCI.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I don't think that their API has Synerlec. Royal Purple's customer service is top notch though.

The only API licensed oil that has synerlec is the 5w40.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I would trust your ears on this.. Plus someone who knows a lot about RP.

Thanks. I do trust my ears even though sometimes I get ridiculed about it here.

I put some Motorcraft in my lady's Camry today and it is running a good bit quieter. I've run PYB, Pennzoil Gold, and Havoline. This Motorcraft is easily the quietest while running oil that's been in there yet. I am pleased.

I do hope that the RP HPS goes on sale at Pep Boys... I've run the API version which was good. But the HPS version with Synerlec is where its at.

^^you can find better pricing online for HPS. For example RP HPS 5w30 is $87.xx for a case by a seller on Ebay. You won't find it for cheaper anywhere. Comes out to $7.30/qt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
My first time using the Royal Purple HPS 5w30 in my 2012 Audi A6. Until now I was using up my stash of Royal Purple 5w40. With 5w40 the car ran smooth and quiet but it had a slight top end valve train ticking and also a little clattering on very cold starts. I've had the HPS 5w30 in the sump for 2 weeks and both the ticking and clattering are completely non existent. Thus the oil runs a little smoother and quieter than the RP 5w40 which was surprising because 5w40 ran super smooth and quiet in its own right.

Unless you're doing NASCAR type racing for hours it's totally unnecessary. You won't have decrease wear if you do drags or even 20 minute runs on Royal Purple hps oils

I meant that the oils listed on the VW 502.00 list vary from 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40.

When I say this, you know I'm a Royal Purple fan. When VW specified 5w-30, they did not, however, have a low HTHS 5w-30 like RP HPS in mind. Note that the specifications talk about HTHS and not film strength. RP's 5w-40 still has Synerlec, as you're aware.

Yes, it's purple, and it's no more "yuck" than the color of other motor oils, really.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I meant that the oils listed on the VW 502.00 list vary from 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40.

When I say this, you know I'm a Royal Purple fan. When VW specified 5w-30, they did not, however, have a low HTHS 5w-30 like RP HPS in mind. Note that the specifications talk about HTHS and not film strength. RP's 5w-40 still has Synerlec, as you're aware.

Thanks. That was the point that I was poorly trying to make.

robert

HPS 5w30's HTHS is 3.40 to 3.42 cP. Very different from an ILSAC 5w30, still more than the lower HTHS ACEA series oils (which still use advanced additives to make up for the lower HTHS, VW 506.00 and 506.01 come to mind), and very close to the ACEA A3/B3/B4 oils.

As BobFout mentioned and I verified with RP that this 5w30 HPS has a HTHS of 3.5 which is close to what Mobil 0w40 IIRC.

I'm also kinda experimenting with this oil. The last OCI on RP 5w40 I burned 2.5 quarts of oil. I'm trying to see if I burn less with this oil as Royal Purple has told me that 5w30 HPS has much more synerlec in it and nearly 4 times the film strength than 5w40. I shall see how much oil this OCI burns in 12,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
My first time using the Royal Purple HPS 5w30 in my 2012 Audi A6. Until now I was using up my stash of Royal Purple 5w40. With 5w40 the car ran smooth and quiet but it had a slight top end valve train ticking and also a little clattering on very cold starts. I've had the HPS 5w30 in the sump for 2 weeks and both the ticking and clattering are completely non existent. Thus the oil runs a little smoother and quieter than the RP 5w40 which was surprising because 5w40 ran super smooth and quiet in its own right.

Unless you're doing NASCAR type racing for hours it's totally unnecessary. You won't have decrease wear if you do drags or even 20 minute runs on Royal Purple hps oils

Lol....when you keep your oil in for 12000 miles it can decrease wear.

As BobFout mentioned and I verified with RP that this 5w30 HPS has a HTHS of 3.5 which is close to what Mobil 0w40 IIRC.

I'm also kinda experimenting with this oil. The last OCI on RP 5w40 I burned 2.5 quarts of oil. I'm trying to see if I burn less with this oil as Royal Purple has told me that 5w30 HPS has much more synerlec in it and nearly 4 times the film strength than 5w40. I shall see how much oil this OCI burns in 12,000 miles.

Is it 3.5 cP now? When I asked RP tech support last year, they told me 3.4 cP...

While I don't doubt it has more film strength, does it have more film strength under meaningful or accurate conditions found in an engine?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Is it 3.5 cP now? When I asked RP tech support last year, they told me 3.4 cP...

While I don't doubt it has more film strength, does it have more film strength under meaningful or accurate conditions found in an engine?

When I talked to them 2 weeks ago they told me 3.5 was HTHS.
I have no doubt that it has meaningful and accurate film strength inside a combustion engine as we have torn down enough engines running on RP HPS and all have virtually no wear within them.

I have no doubt that it has meaningful and accurate film strength inside a combustion engine as we have torn down enough engines running on RP HPS and all have virtually no wear within them.

Is this any different then those running a high quality synthetic oil from Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, Pennzoil, Vavoline, Pentosin, Fuchs, Liquimoly, Castrol etc.?

A lot of very high performance vehicles specify the European ACEA A3/B4 LL01 oils without problems.

A highly tuned factory BMW or Porsche probably is a more demanding application than a tweaked Audi.

However, if the RP is working for you, you have confidence in it, and you can afford it; that's what life is all about here in BITOG land.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Is this any different then those running a high quality synthetic oil from Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, Pennzoil, Vavoline, Pentosin, Fuchs, Liquimoly, Castrol etc.?

We tend to see least wear with Royal Purple and Joe Gibbs oils. The others seem to have a little more wear but are all within spec and would lend to a long engine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back