In goes the Royal Purple HPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by dogememe
Before, with the Valvoline (and the same Royal Purple filter that's currently on there) I had some annoying rattle on startup. With the Royal Purple HPS, there is NO more startup rattle, even on cold starts. I was under the impression the oil filter was to blame (though it happened less on the RP filter and the Valvoline than compared to whatever was on there from the police department)... so you know what? This expensive oil is worth it for that reason alone - no startup rattle is worth paying a little extra.

But now I want to know how a different brand of oil could reduce startup noise, because like I said, I thought that was due to the oil filter...

Regarding the startup noise,I had a startup ticking noise on my 95 Explorer with the v6 engine. When I switched it to Royal Purple HPS,the ticking stopped. I used that oil until the truck was retired with 200,000 + miles on the original engine.

Glad at least you don't think I'm crazy... Any idea why the HPS might make a difference?

Before, with the Valvoline (and the same Royal Purple filter that's currently on there) I had some annoying rattle on startup. With the Royal Purple HPS, there is NO more startup rattle, even on cold starts. I was under the impression the oil filter was to blame (though it happened less on the RP filter and the Valvoline than compared to whatever was on there from the police department)... so you know what? This expensive oil is worth it for that reason alone - no startup rattle is worth paying a little extra.

But now I want to know how a different brand of oil could reduce startup noise, because like I said, I thought that was due to the oil filter...

Regarding the startup noise,I had a startup ticking noise on my 95 Explorer with the v6 engine. When I switched it to Royal Purple HPS,the ticking stopped. I used that oil until the truck was retired with 200,000 + miles on the original engine.

Glad at least you don't think I'm crazy... Any idea why the HPS might make a difference?

"Synerlec" is a sulphated ester and IIRC, it's in quite a high dose. That may be the reason.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

"Synerlec" is a sulphated ester and IIRC, it's in quite a high dose. That may be the reason.

I'm with OVERKILL, I always figured it was because of the Synerlec additive.

So Synerlec is likely a sulfirized ester? There was a previous thread found that makes it sound like something Chrysler used to push for their big V8s 46 years ago:

Originally Posted by Building3
I am getting my 1972 Plymouth Road Runner 440 out of a multi-year hibernation. I am reading through the service manual and for the 440 it says to add a can of Mopar Sulfurized Ester High Performance Additive to each oil change. The recommended oil is either 20w-40 or 20w-50. The oil part is easy. But what is sulfurized ester? Is it still needed in this engine after 45 years? Has oil technology improved so that I don't need it? Will the base oil would be fine? I did a Mopar search for sulfurized ester additive and it is long gone out of the parts book. Any advice would be appreciated. I welcome any opinions on the engine oil too. Thanks.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec additive has been theorized on BITOG from time to time as being some kind of a sulfurized ester. It is still in their HPS and racing oils. But not in their ILSAC grades.
Originally Posted by SonofJoe
I don't think Sulphurised Esters would have be seen as an Extreme Pressure fix. You might use something like Sulphurised-PIB for Gear EP but absolutely not in PCMO.
--- https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I may have to check one of my old hard drives to see if I have their old datasheets, back when the main line was all SL, and 0w-40 was SM. I don't have them on any of the drives I'm using now, for sure.

Edit: I see Overkill has a more recent one. I hadn't seen that one, but does cover SM 0w-40 and SM 5w-40. The last one I looked at was, as mentioned above, when the ILSAC ones were all still SL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
I may have to check one of my old hard drives to see if I have their old datasheets, back when the main line was all SL, and 0w-40 was SM. I don't have them on any of the drives I'm using now, for sure.Edit: I see Overkill has a more recent one. I hadn't seen that one, but does cover SM 0w-40 and SM 5w-40. The last one I looked at was, as mentioned above, when the ILSAC ones were all still SL.

That is on their website now. ... It says their current RP 0w40 is SM A3/B3-04, meaning the "04" is from 14 years ago.....( http://www.royalpurpledirect.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf ) which is OK, but, before I give them money, I'd compare that with walmart Castrol 0w40 which is API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A, BMW LL-01, Mercedes Benz 229.5 and 229.3, Porsche A40, VW 505 00 and 502 02, and a Peugeot spec thrown in just for fun too, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Yes, the 0w-40 and 5w-40 haven't changed, it would seem. I meant comparing to the viscometrics of the SL versions of the ILSAC viscosities, and when the HDEO was CI-4. Personally, at one time, RP 0w-40 was a good buy for me with my old Audi, when GC 0w-30 and M1 0w-40 were only in 1 litre bottles; the RP was cheaper, and the RP leapfrogged the Audi specs from 1991 by a significant margin.
wink.gif

Edit: I'm not positive, but I believe that the older chart included a pour point. The CI-4 15w-40 had a pour point of something like -45 or -46 C.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
So Synerlec is likely a sulfirized ester? There was a previous thread found that makes it sound like something Chrysler used to push for their big V8s 46 years ago:

Originally Posted by Building3
I am getting my 1972 Plymouth Road Runner 440 out of a multi-year hibernation. I am reading through the service manual and for the 440 it says to add a can of Mopar Sulfurized Ester High Performance Additive to each oil change. The recommended oil is either 20w-40 or 20w-50. The oil part is easy. But what is sulfurized ester? Is it still needed in this engine after 45 years? Has oil technology improved so that I don't need it? Will the base oil would be fine? I did a Mopar search for sulfurized ester additive and it is long gone out of the parts book. Any advice would be appreciated. I welcome any opinions on the engine oil too. Thanks.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec additive has been theorized on BITOG from time to time as being some kind of a sulfurized ester. It is still in their HPS and racing oils. But not in their ILSAC grades.
Originally Posted by SonofJoe
I don't think Sulphurised Esters would have be seen as an Extreme Pressure fix. You might use something like Sulphurised-PIB for Gear EP but absolutely not in PCMO.
--- https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Correct. It had, at one point, the nickname, royal sulphur, LOL!
grin.gif

Old (2011) VOA for the PQIA, look at that sulphur!

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 10.58.02 PM.png

Originally Posted by Shannow
There is no such thing as HPS 0W-40 so what datasheet are you looking at lol

They HAD a data sheet with all of the range across one table, had MRV, and CCS, flashpoint etc.

The ratios of the CCS to the MRV, flashpoint etc. all indicated that the "brews" were variable across the range, with the 0W40 grade being clearly different to the oils either side of it.

Data sheet now gone...kicking that I hadn't saved it for these occasions, now it's just "trust us, we make the best oil"....lol

Finding any actual Product Data sheets amongst the RP "spam" on the internet is problematic.

Are you looking for this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiak7alwbndAhUSwMQHHZIDA3YQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw026l1zJ4a7ht1RBZI1o0_x
The not so funny observation is for the HPS line has nearly the same PDS but the SAE tests were changed to show better virgin stats for the HPS product. So HPS product line is somehow a improvement with identical performance of a majority group III PCMO.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.carid.com/images/royal-purple/oils-fluids-lubricants/pdf/hps-high-performance-street-motor-oil-info.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi61JThwrndAhWK_p8KHUoSCKo4ChAWMAN6BAgIEAE&usg=AOvVaw3uAnsiqGB1CITjZaudwFBd

Originally Posted by Shannow

trying to engage the fanbois resulted in the "hater" label...

How many times are you going to try to provolk a Royal Purple argument? What could you posssibly gain by doing so? You have repetitivly used the term "RP fanbois" trying to lure someone into a fight. I never seen you try a tactic like that with any other oil, why not? As I said before, there are no "RP fanbois" here. Before you even begin to try to label me as one, note I have not used their prodect in over 5 years, and I have zero RP in my posession with no plans to buy any. I am hardly a "fanboi" of RP. I only buy whats on sale, period.

The clearest eveidence that there are indeed RP Haters is the fact that this thread unecessarily spun out of control. It very likely would NOT have had almost ANY other oil been the topic of dicussion. Just more of the same, old, tiresome irrational hate of an excellent product. Maybe a day will come when Royal Purple won't elicit so much irrational hate. Maybe.

I tire of the use of the word "hate" as well in this regard. Any truly hateful speech on here is reported and deleted by a mod.

So much confusion with being challenged on some statement and subsequently being labeled a hater, generally used by those who have no technical argument. They remind me of my daughter when she was about 12.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I tire of the use of the word "hate" as well in this regard. Any truly hateful speech on here is reported and deleted by a mod.

So much confusion with being challenged on some statement and subsequently being labeled a hater, generally used by those who have no technical argument. They remind me of my daughter when she was about 12.

Regardless of what people want to say Identity Politics have become and everyday part of Americana.

When some here purposly "try to engage" to cause an argument, the lable might apply. Maybe when all the Anti-RP bias goes away, and people start acting like grown ups, the lable will go away too. One guy (that was previously banned) even tried to troll the RP corporation by constantly asking them for "free samples", then "reporting" their refusals back to this forum. Stunts like that would probably never happen to SOPUS or Mobil, would they? The constant juvenile attacks on RP products needs to go.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
When some here purposly "try to engage" to cause an argument, the lable might apply. Maybe when all the Anti-RP bias goes away, and people start acting like grown ups, the lable will go away too. One guy (that was previously banned) even tried to troll the RP corporation by constantly asking them for "free samples", then "reporting" their refusals back to this forum. The constant juvenile attacks on RP products need to go.

If you say so. I actually see very few "juvenile attacks" on it either, for the most part I see people asking for a technical justification for the much higher price. Sure there are the usual snipes at the color but that is to be expected considering it has no actual function and is a marketing gimmick.

In regards to die-hard fans that promote a product regardless of whether there is technical justification or not I think you see that for most brands, not just Royal Purple. I don't see why they "need to go".

Still no start-up rattle... I'm still happy! Not sure what y'all are actually arguing about but I'm satisfied with my purchase and will be using this oil in this vehicle for the foreseeable future unless UOAs come back bad.

The last time I used Royal Purple HPS was in a 92 Chevy 1500 with a 5.0 flat tappet cam engine with about 240K miles. It ran great but switching from bulk conventional to RP HPS made the engine quieter and another and my fuel economy increased. And NO leaks or oil consumption even with the original engine in that old truck switching to synthetic...

I think this thread has served it's purpose, when I have my UOA I'll post it. The reason I'm doing about 3400 mile OCI is to get to a round number so I can start doing 10K OCIs without a reminder sticker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Regardless of what people want to say Identity Politics have become and everyday part of Americana.

Everyday part of the world.

Since the "Synerlec" royal purple oils are somewhat unique with the 50-year-old technology sulfurized esters (see Mopar posts above), it does make it interesting. I would need to see some performance results to be convinced it's sulfurized ester beats all the modern titanium, polymer esters, high-moly, PAO, POE oils available for the same $ coin though.

One reason I don't quite trust this company is that the PQIA Royal Purple 0w20 (2018 brew dexos1 Gen2) VOA looks about identical to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic's additive package. Do they both use Lubrizol as the DI package, or maybe RP is just dyed Valvoline? .... Of course, unless on sale, the RP is priced higher than Valvoline, so they appear to be weeing on us and telling us it's raining with all this high-priced purple stuff.

I is to get to a round number so I can start doing 10K OCIs without a reminder sticker.

Glad to here RP has worked so well for you. If you go to the 10K intervals, RP will be a very economical product for you too. Good choice! RP will serve you well. Congrats!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Since the "Synerlec" royal purple oils are somewhat unique with the 50-year-old technology sulfurized esters (see Mopar posts above), it does make it interesting. I would need to see some performance results to be convinced it's sulfurized ester beats all the modern titanium, polymer esters, high-moly, PAO, POE oils available for the same $ coin though.

One reason I don't quite trust this company is that the PQIA Royal Purple 0w20 (2018 brew dexos1 Gen2) VOA looks about identical to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic's additive package. Do they both use Lubrizol as the DI package, or maybe RP is just dyed Valvoline? .... Of course, unless on sale, the RP is priced higher than Valvoline, so they appear to be weeing on us and telling us it's raining with all this high-priced purple stuff.

Some searching will, IIRC, yield some past discussions on here about this with Molakule and others.

In regards to die-hard fans that promote a product regardless of whether there is technical justification or not I think you see that for most brands, not just Royal Purple. I don't see why they "need to go".

I ACTUALLY said is:

"The constant juvenile attacks on RP products needs to go."

Reread and understand before typing, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back