In goes the Royal Purple HPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
If Royal Purple was cheaper than Valvoline full-syn at walmart, I might use it too. I just see exactly NO justification of the higher cost. If somebody has some reason to use Royal Purple that is sensible & logical, then I'd love to hear it. It needs to be actual, real facts, not marketing emotions.

I fully respect your opinion, With that said, when has "sensible & logical, actual, real facts, not emotions" EVER been used or even considered when the die-hard RP haters (that had never even used it) mindlessly bashed it here for years?

Can't have it both ways. RP haters are going to hate it regardless of facts.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Before, with the Valvoline (and the same Royal Purple filter that's currently on there) I had some annoying rattle on startup. With the Royal Purple HPS, there is NO more startup rattle, even on cold starts. I was under the impression the oil filter was to blame (though it happened less on the RP filter and the Valvoline than compared to whatever was on there from the police department)... so you know what? This expensive oil is worth it for that reason alone - no startup rattle is worth paying a little extra.

But now I want to know how a different brand of oil could reduce startup noise, because like I said, I thought that was due to the oil filter...

Simple your post makes no sense none. Because there is no logical reason why two PCMO'S in the same grade one would silence "start up rattle". It's called placebo because RP is not blended with higher basestocks or additives it just costs more.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Before, with the Valvoline (and the same Royal Purple filter that's currently on there) I had some annoying rattle on startup. With the Royal Purple HPS, there is NO more startup rattle, even on cold starts. I was under the impression the oil filter was to blame (though it happened less on the RP filter and the Valvoline than compared to whatever was on there from the police department)... so you know what? This expensive oil is worth it for that reason alone - no startup rattle is worth paying a little extra.

But now I want to know how a different brand of oil could reduce startup noise, because like I said, I thought that was due to the oil filter...

Simple your post makes no sense none. Because there is no logical reason why two PCMO'S in the same grade one would silence "start up rattle". It's called placebo because RP is not blended with higher basestocks or additives it just costs more.

It doesn't make sense to me either but I'm not making that [censored] up.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Why not just got 7-8k miles and put a new filter on it right away? Good and pricey oil, why not make it worth its while!

Wondered the same …

dave1251 you need to pay attention to what oil the OP is using,clearly you haven't.
The Royal Purple HPS series of oil that he is using has a higher level of zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additive and Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec® additive so stop trying to compare it to the regular API version of their oil.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I fully respect your opinion, With that said, when has "sensible & logical, actual, real facts, not emotions" EVER been used or even considered when the die-hard RP haters (that had never even used it) mindlessly bashed it here for years?

OK, I've been labelled a hater for a couple of reasons, all of which I have based on logic. Their Data sheet (back when they let you have them without applying for them) showed that a couple of their grades, notably the 0W40 were completely different in viscometrics versus their other grades in the HPS line...Clearly, they are using different basestocks.

trying to engage the fanbois resulted in the "hater" label...that's the easiest form of defence of their product.

I can't point to the data sheets anymore, because they don't release them to the public to compare them anymore. But they were clearly playing different games with the different grades within their premium line. You don't have to USE their product to point out the inconsistencies.

Their claims for their water wetter equivalent are incompatible with providing cooler metal temperatures (just like Redlines are too).

(Oh and I used their diff lube, and it came out black and chunky)

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

dave1251 you need to pay attention to what oil the OP is using,clearly you haven't.
The Royal Purple HPS series of oil that he is using has a higher level of zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additive and Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec® additive so stop trying to compare it to the regular API version of their oil.

Clearly you prefer to follow non-sense also. There is nothing presented by dubious marketing. HPS is nothing but a group III blend with ancient additive technology with no additional benefit. The OP stated RP HPS works better because it's more expensive. It's more expensive to the consumer.

It doesn't make sense to me either but I'm not making that [censored] up.

No one said you made anything up. It called placebo.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by gfh77665

OK, I've been labelled a hater for a couple of reasons, all of which I have based on logic. Their Data sheet (back when they let you have them without applying for them) showed that a couple of their grades, notably the 0W40 were completely different in viscometrics versus their other grades in the HPS line...Clearly, they are using different basestocks.

trying to engage the fanbois resulted in the "hater" label...that's the easiest form of defence of their product.

I can't point to the data sheets anymore, because they don't release them to the public to compare them anymore. But they were clearly playing different games with the different grades within their premium line. You don't have to USE their product to point out the inconsistencies.

Their claims for their water wetter equivalent are incompatible with providing cooler metal temperatures (just like Redlines are too).

(Oh and I used their diff lube, and it came out black and chunky)

There is no such thing as HPS 0W-40 so what datasheet are you looking at lol

lol there is it is just also API certified along with HPS.

http://royalpurpledirect.com/product/api-sae-0w-40/

lol nothing like being a shill for a product then stating incorrect posts as fact for your shill. lol.

"Royal Purple API-Licensed Heavy Duty SAE 0W-40 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil Motor Oil Combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high performance motor oils as a result it optimizes engine performance and provides superior protection."

I'm not a shill, I can count on one hand how many times I've used Royal Purple products in my life. You're the one who can't read... Royal Purple HPS is NOT THE SAME THING as "regular" Royal Purple "API-Certified" oil. HPS stands for "High Performance Street" NOT "High Performance Synthetic"... Royal Purple 0W-40 and Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 have NOTHING in common minus the color of the bottle and the oil itself. I am not being compensated by anybody to post about my oil choice, heck, if the UOAs come back good on this stuff I'll buy it in a 5 gallon bucket which works out to $6/qt and that's the cheapest I can find it, so if you or anybody else wants to send me some for free that's nice, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
That bottle and funnel should be sponsored by Planet Fitness.

lol

This is why I dont waste my time with the haters no facts to back up what they say.

OP enjoy the HPS oil!

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
This is why I dont waste my time with the haters no facts to back up what they say.

OP enjoy the HPS oil!

cheers3.gif

Look at you presenting nothing then crying haters.

They HAD a data sheet with all of the range across one table, had MRV, and CCS, flashpoint etc.

The ratios of the CCS to the MRV, flashpoint etc. all indicated that the "brews" were variable across the range, with the 0W40 grade being clearly different to the oils either side of it.

Data sheet now gone...kicking that I hadn't saved it for these occasions, now it's just "trust us, we make the best oil"....lol

Finding any actual Product Data sheets amongst the RP "spam" on the internet is problematic.

Regarding the startup noise,I had a startup ticking noise on my 95 Explorer with the v6 engine. When I switched it to Royal Purple HPS,the ticking stopped. I used that oil until the truck was retired with 200,000 + miles on the original engine.

Originally Posted by Shannow

They HAD a data sheet with all of the range across one table, had MRV, and CCS, flashpoint etc.

The ratios of the CCS to the MRV, flashpoint etc. all indicated that the "brews" were variable across the range, with the 0W40 grade being clearly different to the oils either side of it.

Data sheet now gone...kicking that I hadn't saved it for these occasions, now it's just "trust us, we make the best oil"....lol

Finding any actual Product Data sheets amongst the RP "spam" on the internet is problematic.

I have the PDS that has that info for all the API grades, but not the HPS oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back