Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Mainly cost.
Another bone to pick - last year I switched to using the HPM version in my outboard motor.
I wanted to use it again this year - can't be found ...

This COST!
I guess too much marketing/low availability for me.
PLus the fact that the [censored] oil is actually Purple.
You know that costed a few buck that your paying for. Lol

I will try it whenever it gets down to the same price as the Mobil 1 I use. So that will probably be never.

We use Royal Purple in some customer boats. They demand it. Why? Someone else thought it was a good idea. It doesn't blow the doors off of other oil, but doesn't do poorly either.

It's a cut above off the shelf oils for the really mean engines, but not that great.

But that's the thing right there. Off the shelf oils are so good, that the only time you want an unconventional lube is for unconventional applications or uses.

For my "normal" apps, I'm grabbing jugs off the shelf. No boutique oils for mundane applications.

Even where your basic Hot/OEM apps are concerned, there's off the shelf oil for that too.

Am I ever going to build a specialized engine that costs $20k+ and throw an OTS oil in It? Probably not.

Cheapness and familiarity rule this forum usually.
I have nothing against either. But I dislike hate because you can't or don't want to afford it. In this economy being frugal is the norm but just don't hate to hate
smile.gif

I have never tried it but would. It is just off my radar at present.
Hi Adam!

People first fell in love with the purple stuff because it was a high moly oil, they took the moly out, and thus the let a lot of people down with that move. Very inconsistent formula as well. Oil guys are watching, oil mixers should pay attention, we do know our stuff. As for their other fluids, man they are cuswords in the 4x4 forums, simply do not do the job they should over and over. Gears that get abused need ester based fluids, end of the story. Gimmicks that have no downside in an engine, show up in the gear case. RP HPC street is about the only oil of theirs I would use, but considering it costs as much as aforementioned PAO/Ester based redline, not really much of an option.

However, I do feel that Royal Purple oil filters are some of the best on the market, high flow and thick media that lasts two years in use. I have cut one open at 14 months was pliable and good condition, now I am on a 2 year oci and will update how that filter holds up, I assume it will be fine.

The reason you will find so few Royal Purple fans here on BITOG, is twofold:

1) Most here don't like to waste money where there is no return. We love preserving our cars. If you look at the signature lines, you will note that most here have a stable full of well preserved cars. We don't mind spending money, but not unnecessarily.

2) Most here tend to make decisions based upon evidence. Thus the interest in UOA, and the constant posting of studies, product data sheets, and professional articles. After dozens of threads on the subject of Royal Purple, no one has ever provided any evidence that Royal Purple provides any better fuel economy, keeps an engine any cleaner, or reduces wear, or that an engine ran on Royal Purple lasts any longer. None. Never. Sure, there are some nice anecdotal stories about how great it is, but no real evidence.

I've done a lot of research on what motor oil is used in high mileage engines, particularly cars that are reported to have made the million mile mark. So far I've only been able to find two that have reported the motor oil used.

First is a 1990 BMW that was ran on a treadmill. It got an exclusive diet of Mobil 1 and Mobil gas. After going 1 million miles, the engine was tore down and carefully studies. The tear down revealed almost no wear to the engine components. Almost all were still within factory specifications.

Second is a 1966 Volvo that has rolled over the 3 million mile mark. The owner reports that he has exclusively used Castrol products in it. When it was new, it came with a factory fill of Castrol. He stayed with that until 1968 when Castrol GTX was introduced, and he has used Castrol GTX in the crankcase ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHmMlU8Q-V8

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-300052313.html

Right now Castrol GTX is $16 - $17.50 for a 5 qt. jug at Walmart. Mobil 1 is under $23, and regularly offers a $10 - $12 rebate. So, if there is hard evidence that an engine can go a million miles, or even more than 3 million miles, on a non-premium motor oil, and there is no evidence of any other benefit such as fuel economy, then why spend the money on a premium priced product?

I've used RP. In fact RPHM is in the crankcase of my Outback right now, and I still have another jug on the shelf, right alongside two jugs of Mobil 1 AFE and a jug of Pennzoil Platinum. The only reason it is there is I was able to get it for $15/ 5 qt. jug when Walmart was closing out RP 0W-20. For only a couple dollars more than what I normally pay for M1 and PP, I was willing to give it a try.

So far it has proven to be a good motor oil. UOA reports show that it is close to equivalent quality to the other products I've used. Actually, I just looked at my UOA file, and the two highest iron wears (22 and 14 ppm) that I have had, both occurred while I was running RP. The lowest have occurred while running Castrol Edge and RP (both 8 ppm). And the highest viscosity I have seen, although still in spec, was a RP fill. All except the 14 ppm/high viscosity fill were 7.5k oil change intervals. The 14ppm /high viscosity oil change was a 8.4k mile oci.

Would I buy it again? Sure, if I can get it for $15 or less per 5 qt. But would I pay a premium for it? Not unless someone can show me some evidence that there is a benefit, other than making my wallet lighter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Neely97
What color does Royal Purple turn to after the purple throws in the towel ?

It turns into regular looking motor oil that's 1/3 the price.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Neely97
What color does Royal Purple turn to after the purple throws in the towel ?

It turns into regular looking motor oil that's 1/3 the price.

Now that is funny.

As everyone else has written, there is no hate for the oil.
Rather, there is a general disdain for an oil that appears to be little more than NAPA syn dyed purple and sold at an absurd premium.
There have been some very special RP formulations, but those aren't the oils you find these days on the shelf at a 50% premium over known good synthetics on the same shelf.
RP API SN oil looks like a very ordinary sodium add pack oil at a boutique oil price.
If I'm going to pay boutique oil prices, then I'll run a real boutique oil like RL or RLI.
Most members here would agree.

Its mind blowing to see posters state "there is no hate for RP..." Over a decade of clear evidence in the archives here promptly blows that clean out of the water.

YES. RP has been irrationally hated and condemned here for years. PERIOD.

I'm liking their synchomax fluid; it was pretty expensive and others hate on it also, but it was locally available and seems be holding up well after about 35K miles.

I am using their 10w-30 now as it was on $2 clearance.

Last edited:
Probably because you drove it wide open all the time Captain
smile.gif
Had nothing to do with the oil.

I don't hate RP but $20 more per 5 qt jug over M1 or PP and $3 more per single quart bottle at WM, I'd stick with PP or M1. If I needed to do an oil change and nothing else was available then I would spring for RP but then again I would just wait until WM restocked their shelves.

My father-in-law uses RP in all his vehicles all the time but now that I'm doing their oil changes, I put M1 and he says he can feel the difference for the better. I told him it was just his imagination and all you felt was an extra $20 in your wallet.

Last edited:
I don't "hate" RP. I would just never buy it, due to its price point. If someone gave it to me for free or at a steep discount, I would happily use it.

I've had countless vehicles, both stock and tuned, run long and strong with Valvoline, Mobil, and QS. Which are all substantially less than RP.

Heck, with QSUD you do two OCI for dang near the same $$$ as one OCI with RP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back