Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Ahh, you only like the
"Royal Purple gave me free horsepower"
" Royal Purple improved my milage 20%"
"Purple Ice dropped my coolant temperature 20F"

WRONG. I don't "like" or necessarily believe any of the marketing of ANY oil.

Please don't put false words on me or attribute any false thoughts to me.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
WRONG. I don't "like" or necessarily believe any of the marketing of ANY oil.

Please don't put false words on me or attribute any false thoughts to me.

I googled the quoted statement...and....

Different requirements for evidence ?

OK, now provide links to the HATE...or you are making (more) stuff up.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As everyone else has written, there is no hate for the oil.
Rather, there is a general disdain for an oil that appears to be little more than NAPA syn dyed purple and sold at an absurd premium.
There have been some very special RP formulations, but those aren't the oils you find these days on the shelf at a 50% premium over known good synthetics on the same shelf.
RP API SN oil looks like a very ordinary sodium add pack oil at a boutique oil price.
If I'm going to pay boutique oil prices, then I'll run a real boutique oil like RL or RLI.
Most members here would agree.

Yes, the additive package of the RP API-spec oils is identical to Valvoline Synpower, which is normally slightly more pricey at WalMart than M1. But they want $38 for 5 qts of RP, and $23 for 5 qts of VSP. Just get the Valvoline.

Once again, I'm amazed at the legs that every RP thread gets here.

Last edited:
Always 2 camps. The "This oil is God's own juice" and the "I use the cheep stuff".

No one really hates RP, just its craziest fanboys who are constantly trying to defend it.

It's a fine oil. It works really well in most engines. But it really is expensive, and without any real facts to differentiate between it and 'ordinary' oils, well the results are predictable...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Yes, the additive package of the RP API-spec oils is identical to Valvoline Synpower, which is normally slightly more pricey at WalMart than M1. But they want $38 for 5 qts of RP, and $23 for 5 qts of VSP. Just get the Valvoline.

Once again, I'm amazed at the legs that every RP thread gets here.

This!

Unless on sale, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Maybe 10-15 years ago before it went to API approved and was a high moly oil, it may have had some value and was comparable to Amsoil but even then, the mystique of it carried the brand more than anything else.

If there is any hate here on BITOG for RP, it's not for the oil itself, but for:

Over the top (AKA unfounded and unsupported) marketing claims. There is nothing that BITOG followers hate more than unsubstantiated claims.
Overpricing. It seems to be nothing more than a marketing scheme, to make their oil look like a premium product, when there is no evidence, other than price, that it is.
RP fanboys that are unwavering in telling everyone how great the product is, and totally ignore any data that is contrary to the RP marketing Koolaid.
The stupid purple color. What's that all about anyway? Oh, wait! I think we've found where the Koolaid is.
13.gif

So yes, I'll admit to seeing RP hate here. Not for the oil. But for the stupid that surrounds it.

Complex Question Fallacy

plurium interrogationum

(also known as: many questions fallacy, fallacy of presupposition, loaded question, trick question, false question)

Description: A question that has a presupposition built in, which implies something but protects the one asking the question from accusations of false claims. It is a form of misleading discourse, and it is a fallacy when the audience does not detect the assumed information implicit in the question and accepts it as a fact.

Example #1:

How many times per day do you beat your wife?

Explanation: Even if the response is an emphatic, “none!” the damage has been done. If you are hearing this question, you are more likely to accept the possibility that the person who was asked this question is a wife-beater, which is fallacious reasoning on your part.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why don't you post some links to threads where all this irrational hatred and condemnation has been posted for over a decade? And please make them irrational and hate posts, not just people that disagree with price or marketing or other opinions. I want to see all this hate. Period.

You apparently accepted all the blanket statements made in this thread, and you demanded zero proof, but you suddenly want me to document a decade of posts? Seriously? It ain't gonna work that way, Ace.

No, RP has been irrationally and consistently bashed through the years here. I saw so many RIDICULOUS posts, like "RP made my 1972 AMC Gremlin run ruff" and RP is a "junk oil" and all the like.

Fail.

Yeah OK, that's pretty much what I thought.

I have no problem with RP products. Off the shelf pricing, RP here is situated between M1 and M1 EP, with a warranty situated right in between. When the synthetics are on roll back, RP gets spanked pretty hard. My regular pricing at one of my suppliers is relatively attractive, though.

You sound like a broken record. Below was from about a year ago.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The eternal, irrational, blind hatred of Royal Purple products on BITOG never ends...

No one "hates" Royal Purple products.

LOL! RP has been called every derogatory name in the book here on BITOG over the past 10 years.
A "JUNK OIL" A 'total scam", "It made my '74 Yugo run ruff", and on and on. Its been mindlessly bashed unmercifully through the years.

Incredible, the vast majority of the haters have never even USED IT.

Yes I think hate is a little strong wording. Its price and the fact I don't think they can demonstrate they really are say twice as good as M1 you can buy for $22.88.

I used RP when it was still a Union 76 product, back in the day. It was decent oil, just not that special ...

Then the product name was spun off and it is its own business nowadays. A marketing business with some chemistry ties back to the origin.

It's a lot like Lucas Oil. Big promo and lots spent with banner adds and such, but no proof of anything ...

No scientific or engineering papers to support claims of superiority, so no evidence ...
frown.gif

Allow me to break down my yawning at RP. Here's what happens when we do oil changes on the big block engines of boats that are coming off of Mercruiser 25/40 or 50:

Amsoil: Higher and more consistent oil pressure, lower oil temps by 25-47°, stays in grade, drastic reduction in wear metals

Schaeffer's: Higher and more consistent oil pressure, lower oil temps by 25-47°, stays in grade, drastic reduction in wear metals

Valvoline VR1: Higher and more consistent oil pressure, stays in grade, drastic reduction in wear metals

Royal Purple: Reasonable increase in oil pressure, stays mostly in grade, ok reduction in wear metals

It just doesn't put up compared to the other boutique oils.

The marketing end is spooky, because experience has taught me that big, bombastic marketing is usually done for a lackluster product.

Granted, Amsoil and Schaeffer have had their moments, but the lab does not lie. The other 3 oils mentioned above are huge swinging Richards in the performance engine community based on teardowns and lab results. RP can't help but look like a joke brining their oil to the table against something like that.

How dare you bring empirical evidence into this thread.
You must be a hater!

That is one advantage. Royal Purple does have several lines going. Most people with a North American or Japanese vehicle can find something that works. There's even licensed dexos1 product available. Now, if you've got something European and you want builder approvals in that regard, you'll be out of luck.

They also have an excellent catalogue of industrial lubricants.

Yep - first time I ever saw the brand was a big drum full of synthetic gear oil for industrial use ... many years before it graced a Walmart shelf ...

They make some interesting compressor lubes and the like and in some suitable sizes. Some of Imperial Oil's compressor lubes come in containers that are so large you could service every air compressor and pressure pump in western Canada for five years and still have leftovers.

All oils have both fans and haters, it doesn't mean too much.

Here is a recent post from another thread.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
(Ref: Valvoline maxlife synblend thread) I've had an engine seize while using that product. My experience.

Me ? If it carries a good spec like Dexos or A3/B4 then it is a good oil.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Always 2 camps. The "This oil is God's own juice" and the "I use the cheep stuff".

No, the biggest crowd is "look at all the cool synthetic oil I got on clearance"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back