Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Its mind blowing to see posters state "there is no hate for RP..." Over a decade of clear evidence in the archives here promptly blows that clean out of the water.

YES. RP has been irrationally hated and condemned here for years. PERIOD.

Why don't you post some links to threads where all this irrational hatred and condemnation has been posted for over a decade? And please make them irrational and hate posts, not just people that disagree with price or marketing or other opinions. I want to see all this hate. Period.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Purple Oil Matters

The new POM movement.
lol.gif

As stated many times, it is the cost / benefit ratio. Plenty of products out there that meet or exceed its performance for less money.

Originally Posted By: ejes
As stated many times, it is the cost / benefit ratio. Plenty of products out there that meet or exceed its performance for less money.

That's the same thing people say about Snap-on tools.

I don't hate. It's over priced

Not a fan of purple dye either.

I'd run it if someone gave me a jug but for the money I can buy 2 jugs of M1 after MIR.

Show me that royal purple outperforms M1 and I might buy some.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: ejes

That's the same thing people say about Snap-on tools.

The big reason mechanics use SNAP-ON is because of the lifetime replacement. And if you start in the business young, that's a [censored] good reason. Some of thier tools are really nice, but some other companies make certain ones just as nice, such as Wright.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Some of their tools are really nice, but some other companies make certain ones just as nice, such as Wright.

Wright is missing the $boat$ by not making a long wrench.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Some of their tools are really nice, but some other companies make certain ones just as nice, such as Wright.

Wright is missing the $boat$ by not making a long wrench.

When I was just a young man, I believed in the long wrench (and/or cheater). Now I am approaching my twilight years, I believe in air, spline, HYTORC, etc.
smile.gif

Because it doesn't do anything better than basically any other oil on the market, for about double the cost.

The only oil I use is $1 per quart. Look in my signature below, about $15 in oil between all 3 cars.

If you put RP in an oil burner, will it blow purple smoke out the tailpipe? Because that would be kinda cool.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
For whatever reason my S2000 drank Royal Purple 10W-30. I've been hesitant to use it ever since.

Probably because you drove it wide open all the time Captain
smile.gif
Had nothing to do with the oil.

Very true, I did! But it didn't go through Edge 10W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 at nearly the same rate.
21.gif

I was just messing with ya. I believe you on that. Strange how that happens at times with a particular oil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I was just messing with ya. I believe you on that. Strange how that happens at times with a particular oil.

That was ~2010, so maybe it was more GPIV or V? Whereas the Mobil was VISOM and the Edge GPIII+... I think their regular oils had Synerlec back then too. I'm not sure, just thinking out loud.

I can't speak for any "hate" for Royal Purple around here, I haven't been around very long. If anything, I would say it mostly gets ignored. I've seen some of the VOA for their standard 5W-20/30 and have to say, nothing about it really stands out.

When looking at boutique oils, you know that if you look at an Amsoil VOA, you're going to see a ton of calcium, a bit of moly, and a really high TBN. When you look at Red Line, you know you are going to see a bunch of moly and zinc to go along with a really high TBN. If you consider Schaeffers a boutique, once again the moly will stand out on a VOA. When you look at an RP VOA, the thing that stands out is the lack of things that stand out.

That said, their HPS and HMX look pretty good, but limited availability seems to be an issue.

If I want to pay for an oil like that, I'll use Redline.

My thoughts exactly

I've used it once before in an old fire bomb chevy truck I had long ago. It drank that stuff so fast I was amazed.

Purple drank

I dont understand the "hate" But I can say I've used the API version and the HPS version of Royal Purple oil.

Neither gave me any sort of issues,so no reason to hate,thats just me
smile.gif

We just bought an 2015 Ford Escape,and we're planning to use Schaeffer 5w20

We all have our likes and dislikes,the world would be no fun if we liked and used the same things.

Its mind blowing to see posters state "there is no hate for RP..." Over a decade of clear evidence in the archives here promptly blows that clean out of the water.

YES. RP has been irrationally hated and condemned here for years. PERIOD.

I was going to ask the OP why he used the word "hate", when I've been here as long as anybody and just haven't seen it.

Look at their data sheets for their engine oils, and it's pretty clear that they are cooking the books with their claims...some are clearly superior basestocks, some clearly not, while the claims are....

Is pointing that out HATE ?

Their purple ice advertising is silly...is pointing that out hate ?

RP appears less frequently on the site than most oils.
Most oils get questioned on this forum...and if you were to cherry pick searches, you could also find that BITOG HATES m1, hates Castrol (hates Magnatec in particular).

RP followers tend to point to advertisements to back up their claims than engage in debate...and use the same statement over and over instead of actually presenting something defensible.

Again is that HATE ?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why don't you post some links to threads where all this irrational hatred and condemnation has been posted for over a decade? And please make them irrational and hate posts, not just people that disagree with price or marketing or other opinions. I want to see all this hate. Period.

You apparently accepted all the blanket statements made in this thread, and you demanded zero proof, but you suddenly want me to document a decade of posts? Seriously? It ain't gonna work that way, Ace.

No, RP has been irrationally and consistently bashed through the years here. I saw so many RIDICULOUS posts, like "RP made my 1972 AMC Gremlin run ruff" and RP is a "junk oil" and all the like.

Fail.

No, RP has been irrationally and consistently bashed through the years here. I saw so many RIDICULOUS posts, like "RP made my 1972 AMC Gremlin run ruff" and RP is a "junk oil" and all the like.

Fail.

Ahh, you only like the
"Royal Purple gave me free horsepower"
" Royal Purple improved my milage 20%"
"Purple Ice dropped my coolant temperature 20F"
Just like in their advertorials.

But aren't in favour of the "how" questions in the next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back