Why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of it is marketing.. I think we are all somewhat suckers for that.. I am.. I love Mobil 1. I still have a jug of the old Ultra 5w20 I am going to use for my spring/summer oil change. I decided to do 2 oil changes a year... hopefully I dont get bored and change it out early LOL. Oddly enough, I wouldnt consider anything besides Pennzoil or Mobil.. I dont know why, but I wouldnt buy any other brands.. Im closed minded I guess lol

Last edited:
I prefer thicker oil because it protects the engine better....
27.gif

45.gif

I have to admit to being a Pennzoil fanboy. mainly b/c of 2 factors:
1: the "butt dyno"factor (of all the oils i tried in my neon, PYB "felt" the best.)
2: I can remember my Grandpa always having a container(can/Bottle/etc) of Pennzoil on his workbench in the garage.

the stuff on here hasn't hurt my fanboy feelings either.

and i've become a wix fanboy, b/c of their quality of construction, and the fact that i've gotten stashes of them off other users on here for my last 2 cars.

so yeah.

Last edited:
I'm partial to Pennzoil and Valvoline simply because that's what I remember my dad using in our vehicles when I was a kid. I've tryed all kinds of oils the last few years, but always seem to gravitate towards Valvoline for the most part

The oil has to make the engine run smoother and make me feel better when I'm driving down the road. It's also got to clean all the sludge out. A pretty bottle helps, as does great marketing like at the race tracks. And it must quiet any clicking or similar noise. And on top of all that it's got to be popular on BITOG. Without that last endorsement the oil is a non starter.

My preference is based towards an oil that is very light at startup with a high Vi and has a good add pack.
It helps when it's blended by a well known petro chemical company like Idemitsu or Exxon Mobil....
0w20 synthetic MGMO and TGMO meet those with TGMO being the better deal due to cost and availability.

M1 - why? Price and performance. M1 has produced better UOAs than PU (or MS5K) in my FX4 and with the sale/rebate/inheritance of oil from my Dad, it was a no brainer for me.

Originally Posted By: stygz
I seem to have a preference for M1 for no apparent reason.

But there is a reason! Mobil 1 makes you think on a sub-conscience level that it's the #1 oil in the world. It also makes you think that you'll be 1st place in everything you do and that you'll always be a winner.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
After all the information available on oil and filter here, I just can not understand why anyone worry so much about the prices of oil and filters!!!

Even if there is a difference in price of $50 between cheap oil/ filter and best oil/ filter , it make no sense to go cheap.
If oil is changed at 6 months intervals, it only cost $10 per month more!!!

My 1994 LS400 has 370+k miles, if I change the "best synthetic and filter" at 7-8k miles at $50 more per oil change, I would do 52 oil changes. But I choose to do once a year with synthetic and low to mid range filter, in the end the engine is running very well now and I save more than $3000 for oil and filter.

My experience with LS400 tells me that any off the shelf synthetic is good for 15-18k OCI for non-severe condition. Why spend more and in the end get nothing ?

Havoline is my favorite but now that is mostly just out of habit. Used to be a better "sleeper" oil and while it is still a good sleeper, it might not be as good of a bargain under Chev. Still, it is a great not-the-top-but-near-the-upper-end oil at a bargain price.

After that, it is SOPUS unless something (except Castrol) is on clearance.

I used to be a long time Valvoline user because I worked at their quick lubes and they make a fine product. Also getting the oil 25% over cost helped as well. I've never had a problem with their oils or products but since I made a job change, all I use is M1 AFE. I've had their oil in 4 different engines with zero issues. I don't think I would ever have an issue with any Syn due to the low miles we drive and how we treat our vehicles: No really hard acceleration, about 10k miles or less, etc. Also M1 AFE can be had for pretty cheap and I really dig the tin foil seal which I always check prior to purchasing.

I prefer Schaeffer, primarily because I buy several drums of the stuff each year for my commercial needs, so I have them throw in a case of synthetic now and then for my personal stuff. Cost plays out very competitive to most any Wally World pricing, and, unlike Wally, Schaeffer sends it to me for free. So, once the travel time and cost if factored in to the equation, I get a better deal with the Schaeffer by not having to waste time going and getting it. Guess I am fond of sticking with an American oil company that has been doing it longer than anyone else in America. I think they have lubrication needs figured out by now.

I use Royal Purple. Even though people here call it butt dyno but I know that it really quiets and smoothes every engine I have put it in. The cherry on top was the thread on the 2005 Mustang cams that showed no wear after 70,000 miles of use and the dude raced his stang a lot. A lot of drag racers use it too because when they tear their engines down they notice the same thing! This is why I use it.

I prefer Amalie because it is an iconic, great American oil and has been since 1903. They have a cool history and contributed heavily to the industry like that they invented multi-viscosity oil. My grandfather used it since the 1950's, my dad used it since the 1960's, and I've used it all my life too. It's always kept our engines clean, running well, and all that stuff. Most people don't realize that many other oils like Valvoline and rotella are made (blended) by Amalie in the Amalie facility. I hope Amalie gets out of just being known regionally (Florida and up the East coast) and gets their name back out there, because their oil is awesome!! Buying Amalie is easy from amaliestore.com , they have free shipping too!!

Amsoil. For several years, the wife and I were putting on 27k or more per year, and I extended our intervals rather than doing 6 oil changes a year on conventional. This was in the period starting around 2000, when my perception was that other oils had not made the gains in quality that they have since.

Now the OE version of Amsoil is the same price as M1 or other brands. Plus, where we live there is no Wally World within 150 miles, so getting the oil at same price as other brands, but delivered to my door, is a good thing.

Plus, winters here get down to -30 sometimes so we need a solid synthetic for the cold starts.

Last edited:
Quote:

Plus, winters here get down to -30 sometimes so we need a solid synthetic for the cold starts.

Perhaps "solid" isn't the best of terms to use in this case.

Customers at work crack me up with this sometimes ... they refuse to use Pennzoil (we feature Pennz), but they love Quaker State or Shell oil lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back