Brand Oil vs no brand

There’s brand Oil like M1, etc. there’s generic brand oil, then there’s boutique oil brands. They’re all designed to provide lubrication to moving mechanical parts. Now certain applications could benefit from higher end oils.

Then we have peanut butter. Some like skippy, some like store brand, others like the real fancy peanut butter that cost even more. I like peanut butter, but could have used wine as another example. Or a good IPA.

What’s my point? My point is to some it’s a comfort feeling that our mechanical components in our expensive automobile is protected. Cars loose value daily, they’re not asset, but a necessity in most cases. Yes classic cars, numbered cars, rare cars could be considered an asset because they do gain value.

What I would like to see, though is some generic brand off the shelf oil be run in a NASCAR engine or Formula One engine that is no longer going to be used and it’s going to be retired. It would be interesting to see if it would stand up to that extreme stress without blowing up.

It's all about the ratings. Mobil could bottle an amalie blended oil that matches with one of their offerings performance requirements and people would've never known.

What’s my point? My point is to some it’s a comfort feeling that our mechanical components in our expensive automobile is protected. Cars loose value daily, they’re not asset, but a necessity in most cases. Yes classic cars, numbered cars, rare cars could be considered an asset because they do gain value.
cars are a terrible investment. figure a brand new Road Runner in 70 might have cost 5k, and maybe someone can get 250k for it if it is in perfect condition at a specialty car auction, but somebody had pay to keep, maintain insure, register and store that car for 40+ years..

Then we have peanut butter. Some like skippy, some like store brand, others like the real fancy peanut butter that cost even more. I like peanut butter, but could have used wine as another example. Or a good IPA.
But you can't (or shouldn't) use food or drink as an example because these are entirely subjective - it's about personal preference, not about objective performance. One peanut butter may be personally preferred but not objectively 'better'. With oils you can (sometimes) determine actual differences in performance - differences that are measurable and can be attributed to the ingredients in the formulation. Brand still plays a part in food and drink and some will prefer one over another because of the label or where it is placed in the store, but oil performance is entirely objective, regardless of whether you prefer the smell or label design.

Oil is a commodity product. You generally are getting what you pay for. Oil quality is determined by the oil's composition, components used, formulator expertise, testing and approvals whether that be engine tests, racing, tear downs and oil analysis.

If you put some average oil in Red Bull's F1 car Red Bull engines likely wouldn't last one race.

Last edited:
There’s brand Oil like M1, etc. there’s generic brand oil, then there’s boutique oil brands. They’re all designed to provide lubicatuon to moving mechanical parts. Now certain applications could benefit from higher end oils.

What I would like to see, though is some generic brand off the shelf oil be run in a NASCAR engine or Formula One engine that is no longer going to be used and it’s going to be retired. It would be interesting to see if it would stand up to that extreme stress without blowing up.
Vehicles absolutely are an asset albeit one with a deep deprecation curve relative to some other assets.

F1 engines use something around 60-grade which isn't available generic. The oil is preheated prior to start.

Oil is a commodity product. You generally are getting what you pay for. Oil quality is determined by the oil's composition, components used, formulator expertise, testing and approvals whether that be engine tests, racing, tear downs and oil analysis.

If you put some average oil in Red Bull's F1 car Red Bull engines likely wouldn't last one race.
its worth saying the cheapest thing about F1 racing is the oil they put in the car. I think the engines are good for about 7 races... :)
As always, when a difference makes no difference you might as well use the cheap stuff but if you are running something out to the extreme edges of performance it probably pays to focus on experimenting with finding whatever is best for your particular scenario..

The store brand oils out today are excellent. I have no issue with Supertech or any other brand from a major retailer.

However, the savings are normally minimal if you shop around for brand names on sale. I need more than a dollar or two savings to switch to a store brand.

If the name brand base oil isn't better than the store brand, then the add pack of the name brand is better or more stout than the store brand add pack.

If a gun was held to my head and I was forced to run a store brand, that brand would be NAPA synthetic oil.
I've used them-all and NAPA is an oil that I trust as an above average performer.

The only other store brands I would consider would be those that display themselves as a 20k oil - but only to be run by me for 3k.

I run all oils for 3k...... even Amsoil SS.

If the name brand base oil isn't better than the store brand, then the add pack of the name brand is better or more stout than the store brand add pack.

If a gun was held to my head and I was forced to run a store brand, that brand would be NAPA synthetic oil.
I've used them-all and NAPA is an oil that I trust as an above average performer.

The only other store brands I would consider would be those that display themselves as a 20k oil - but only to be run by me for 3k.

I run all oils for 3k...... even Amsoil SS.
Napa oil is developed by Valvoline, they got pretty stout additive packs.

Vehicles absolutely are an asset albeit one with a deep deprecation curve relative to some other assets.

F1 engines use something around 60-grade which isn't available generic. The oil is preheated prior to start.
Any race car, the oil is usually preheated to 100c

This is what I will say in regards to brand specifically Chevron because that’s what I have experience with. I’ve worked inside the Chevron refinery in Richmond as a vacuum truck operator they pull oil samples constantly from the crude oil that time comes in on the ship to the time it’s been sitting in the tank to go into the refinery to the time that is loaded under semi truck in bulk oil. Can you say that from a regular blender? I don’t know. I’ve never seen it done so I can’t speak to it.

Does your view on this change if it's a used/older car out of warranty?

Why would it? Why would I choose a product of unknown quality just because the car is out of warranty? Especially as out of warranty, I'm liable for repair costs? That makes no sense at all.

Like I said, unless it was a boutique oil from a trusted source then I would always opt for an oil with some kind of manufacture approval. At least then you know it's been tested and approved by a 3rd party.

My current favourite all rounder is Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL Flex 3 5w40 which carries a number of manufacturer approvals including MB 229.52, Porsche C40 and VW 511. It really is a 'one size fits all' oil. If I shop around I can usually find it for £30-£35 for 5 litres.

I'd love to run M1 0w40 ESP X3 but it has the same approvals as the Fuchs oil but costs £55-£66 for 5 litres.

Back