Brand Oil vs no brand

its amazing what is on the label of some small house oil brands. Same sort of thing that is on the label of the big boys..
and not on the label of some of the custom boutique lubes.

which is more important? perception of quality or the certifications?

100_0143.JPG

its amazing what is on the label of some small house oil brands. Same sort of thing that is on the label of the big boys..
and not on the label of some of the custom boutique lubes.

which is more important? perception of quality or the certifications?

View attachment 187488.
Quite simply, quality, not perception, and not certifications by themselves.

Only a little over 2 weeks since we last had this exact same conversation. Anyone want to take bets on whether or not this one will top 189 posts?
1699483868034.png

aren't about 90% of the discussions on this forum revolving around the same few things?
I ran it through Blackstone and got 92.78%, but we all know that Blackstone uses a myth to analize the analysis %

Oil is a commodity product. You generally are getting what you pay for. Oil quality is determined by the oil's composition, components used, formulator expertise, testing and approvals whether that be engine tests, racing, tear downs and oil analysis.

If you put some average oil in Red Bull's F1 car Red Bull engines likely wouldn't last one race.

The same can be said about the engine oil used in red bull's honda powertrain. If you were to put that in your passenger car, it would probably be equally as detrimental.
There is quality, then there is also having the correct stuff for the application and for the job its going to do.

I ran it through Blackstone and got 92.78%, but we all know that Blackstone uses a myth to analize the analysis %
It's not a myth, it is a standard ASTM test. However not all ASTM tests have a narrow tolerance band. On this one you're using a relatively imprecise indicator to estimate a secondary value which results in an inherently imprecise result.

The same can be said about the engine oil used in red bull's honda powertrain. If you were to put that in your passenger car, it would probably be equally as detrimental.
There is quality, then there is also having the correct stuff for the application and for the job its going to do.
They use race oil, which does not have the same stuff as what’s used for the street. You engine would be fine for awhile. Just like humans can eat junk and be fine, than it catches up to us.

I have gotten to the point that I really don't care, and neither do my vehicles, what brand oil I use.

All I care about is API rating, viscosity, and price.

My garage has gallons of 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, and 5w-40.
All are API SN, SN+, or SP (I may have a bottle of SM, not sure).
Some name brand, some store brand, no boutique oil.
All synthetic, all qt (average cost is actually $0.88/qt).

Only vehicle I buy specific oil for is my motorcycles (current favorite is Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage) because they do have specific needs and can be picky.

Have and will continue to use store brands meeting the specifications of need. I don't give it a second thought.

STP
NAPA
FRAM
O'Reilly
Kirkland
Super Tech
Amazon Basics

I agree… Ain’t nothing wrong with that.

Just like the Cam2 in the Honda I have.

You know when I think of Valvoline… I think I remember your dad had some Valvoline signs and stuff. . . I haven’t forgotten that. God rest his soul.

Hope you and your family are doing good man. Always good to see you on here.

I agree… Ain’t nothing wrong with that.

Just like the Cam2 in the Honda I have.

You know when I think of Valvoline… I think I remember your dad had some Valvoline signs and stuff. . . I haven’t forgotten that.

Hope you and your family are doing good man. Always good to see you on here.
Hi bbhero,

Thanks for remembering, my friend.

Back