Why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was a mechanical genius(got old) and worked with Mobil engineers. Mobil One synthetic is used in new Corvettes. It's fantastic.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I buy whatever I perceive to be the best regardless of price. Right now that is Penzoil Platinum Ultra for the Challenger and Ram. If I am convinced a different oil is better then I will go with it. I never have and never will try to save money on oil or filters.

I use BMW 5W-30 oil (which is Castrol) for the 328i because it is still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty with all maintenance covered.

I use HD Syn 3 for the bike. Great oil that can be used in the transmission and primary chain case as well as the engine.

Absolute gold here.

Wants the best regardless of cost but uses syn 3 in his harley.
HILLARIOUS to say the least.
Then comments on how great it is in all 3 holes.
Even better than HILLARIOUS.

The tranny has gears,thus a gear oil is the right fluid and is BEST in that application.
The primary needs a fluid to keep the clutches cool,to wash away debris and still maintain friction. Any hdeo,like Rotella costs way less and dies exactly what's required.
And syn 3 it citgo junk. The additive package is weak at best.
But you want the best,regardless of cost.
Redline shockproof is the best for the tranny. Second best is any other gear oil.
The primary would be fine with rotella. I use it in my significantly modified harley and I can't get the stock clutch to slip.
And the engine is fine with any hdeo 15w-40,but if it's real hot thicker is smart.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here,I'm just pointing out the absurd nature of your post compared to the products you think are best
Most harley guys are duped into thinking because the oil has a harley badge it's the best. It's because they follow blindly without actually researching anything. It's common in the harley world.
It's almost like some guys see that badge and their sensibilities turn off.

It's really all mental and what helps us sleep at night. It's just peace of mind. I prefer M1 because it's what GM endorses and it's readily available at Costco and Walmart relatively cheap. M1 has also been proven time and time again in millions of engines worldwide and will keep an engine running for hundreds of thousands of miles, so there's no reason for me to have to chase down another brand like Pennzoil's Ultra Platinum. Can't find it anywhere, so just sticking with M1.

Last edited:
I'm the least brand loyal of anyone, especially when it comes to 15W40 HDMOs.
The 5 gallon (20L) sale price at Canuck Tire on Mobil 1300 or Rotella T
at Walmart are far less than the bulk lubricant outlets charge.

When 10W30 CI-4/SM become more popular, or become an optional grade for all
light diesel trucks, then maybe pails of that grade will be on sale from time to time.

I see many of you note m1 afe, have you seen any difference in mpg? What draws you to use it in your vehicle that recommends a 5wXX? I have considered using it on my next oil change on my pathfinder.

Originally Posted By: stygz
Why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

I don't.

I purchase whatever brand name conventional is either on sale or at the lowest price when I'm ready to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Plus, winters here get down to -30 sometimes so we need a solid synthetic for the cold starts.

Perhaps "solid" isn't the best of terms to use in this case.

Bwa ha ha yeah you're right!! "Quality"?

I am not super picky on what oil I use, generally Sopus or Valvoline and once in a while Mobil . I do ignore Castrol for some reason and I can't explain it. Must be their terrible commercials.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
. . . A pretty bottle helps, as does great marketing like at the race tracks. . . .

That deep metallic green of the Castrol HM calls to me -- it reminds me of the color the Aurora model of the Creature from the Black Lagoon came molded in.
grin.gif

That said, I tend to buy what's on sale and at the same time meets the car's requirement. I used Chevron Supreme at first in the Buick Park Avenue, then Pennzoil Platinum for several changes. Castrol Edge bumped the PA's consumption way up, so I shifted to QS Defy.

I have been using Mobil I since it became available in the US around 1976/78. It is readily available from WalMart at a reduced price. I would reconsider using Mobil I if I couldn't get it at Walmart's price though.

Not terribly brand loyal but tend to use Mobil 1 products or TGMO. Owned Toyotas so that accounts for TGMO and have some leftover I will use in my Honda Accord-may even continue using it in that. Mobil 1 I've been using since the early 1980s-probably just a habit. I currently like their EP line.

I've used other oils though Pennzoil and QS synthetic, Delo 400 in my diesel, Rotella synthetic in motorcycles, etc.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I buy whatever I perceive to be the best regardless of price. Right now that is Penzoil Platinum Ultra for the Challenger and Ram. If I am convinced a different oil is better then I will go with it. I never have and never will try to save money on oil or filters.

I use BMW 5W-30 oil (which is Castrol) for the 328i because it is still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty with all maintenance covered.

I use HD Syn 3 for the bike. Great oil that can be used in the transmission and primary chain case as well as the engine.

Absolute gold here.

Wants the best regardless of cost but uses syn 3 in his harley.
HILLARIOUS to say the least.
Then comments on how great it is in all 3 holes.
Even better than HILLARIOUS.

The tranny has gears,thus a gear oil is the right fluid and is BEST in that application.
The primary needs a fluid to keep the clutches cool,to wash away debris and still maintain friction. Any hdeo,like Rotella costs way less and dies exactly what's required.
And syn 3 it citgo junk. The additive package is weak at best.
But you want the best,regardless of cost.
Redline shockproof is the best for the tranny. Second best is any other gear oil.
The primary would be fine with rotella. I use it in my significantly modified harley and I can't get the stock clutch to slip.
And the engine is fine with any hdeo 15w-40,but if it's real hot thicker is smart.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here,I'm just pointing out the absurd nature of your post compared to the products you think are best
Most harley guys are duped into thinking because the oil has a harley badge it's the best. It's because they follow blindly without actually researching anything. It's common in the harley world.
It's almost like some guys see that badge and their sensibilities turn off.

Not trying to be a jerk here? Well you are doing a great job. I have not been posting on this site long but I am quickly realizing that you perceive yourself to be the last word on all things oil. Unlike most other harley guys you have such contempt for, I spent many years in the business selling the bikes. I have tried just about everything available in the many HD bikes I have owned. I also spent a lot of time talking with experienced HD techs that know one [censored] of a lot more about HD bikes than you ever will. I can tell you that Syn 3 performs well in all late model HD bikes based on years of personal experience and the experience on many other HD customers. If you are going to criticize someone's post, you might want to try not coming off as an Oil God whose word cannot be questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back