Why 10K Miles Oil change may not be good!

And for every one of these appliances...er...Camrys there's one that went longer without any oil consumption issues on long 10K runs...your average person probably forgets to change it once in a while too...opppsies! 10K with a v. high quality oil (I'd say the oil is more than likely the culprit) for the the highway commuting the video talks about seems v. reasonable to me. Did that in my MK4 Jetta with M1 0W40 10K changes for a big chunk of the 220K highway commuting miles it had when I sold it without any oil consumption issues.

in a nutshell, it boils down to for how long do you want to keep your car down the road; so if you plan to keep it for yourself in the long run then you'll keep the maintenance to shorter intervals. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping it for 5 years for example, then your maintenance interval is not as important

if you watch the video from top that's exactly what he argus, those long OCI are tied to the warranty period, everything beyond that point is on the owner

needless to say, Toyota and Honda are most forgivable ones when comes down to skipping on maintenance, on the other side of scale are premium models that are very delicate tools on maintenance intervals
The third option and maybe I'm a sucker for feeling this way is when someone buys a vehicle from me, while I offer no warranty, I do try and sell that person a vehicle that was well-maintained, even if that means I spent a couple of hundred dollars more on oil changes over my period of ownership.

The peanut gallery is awfully quite now, that said I plan to do a UOA on my current fill of HPL 15w40 in the crown vic every 5k miles until the oil comes back as needing changed after a few times of doing this I’ll be able to do a UOA at 10k miles until I dial in things a bit more, the plan is 20k mile OCIs

The third option and maybe I'm a sucker for feeling this way is when someone buys a vehicle from me, while I offer no warranty, I do try and sell that person a vehicle that was well-maintained, even if that means I spent a couple of hundred dollars more on oil changes over my period of ownership.
if the car is deemed in great condition, I normally pass it along/sell to someone within my vicinity instead to a random guy or a dealership

Must be using Amsoil or LE oil.

Neither. High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20

Let's all be honest with ourselves.

1. The car we have always wanted in our garage is a 1999 Toyota Corolla. Preferably a CE with roll 'em up windows.

2. We know that by keeping the rpm below 2250 and driving with a foot lighter than a butterfly wing, we can make that Corolla last forever with a 10k OCI.

3. Everything we do maintenance wise is perfect. We coast to a stop. Always have two hands on the wheel and time our acceleration so that we maximize our mpg.

4. Also one other thing. Anecdotes and opinions aren't credible. Facts and data from impartial expert sources are. That's why everyone is reading this from yours truly. I'm Steven Lang. Although I don't have the facts or data, I know those who do. Those are the engineers who spend their lives studying chemical engineering and applying it to God's greatest gift to mankind.

And those would be the wise omnipotent souls who developed the 1999 Toyota Corolla.

**** with all these oil burning problems people having . It’s time to go back to the Jiffy Lube special 3months or 3,000 miles

1. The car we have always wanted in our garage is a 1999 Toyota Corolla. Preferably a CE with roll 'em up windows.

2. We know that by keeping the rpm below 2250 and driving with a foot lighter than a butterfly wing, we can make that Corolla last forever with a 10k OCI.

3. Everything we do maintenance wise is perfect. We coast to a stop. Always have two hands on the wheel and time our acceleration so that we maximize our mpg.

4. Also one other thing. Anecdotes and opinions aren't credible. Facts and data from impartial expert sources are. That's why everyone is reading this from yours truly. I'm Steven Lang. Although I don't have the facts or data, I know those who do. Those are the engineers who spend their lives studying chemical engineering and applying it to God's greatest gift to mankind.

And those would be the wise omnipotent souls who developed the 1999 Toyota Corolla.
Reading this and thinking of driving a '99 Corolla in this way makes me want to hang myself.

The Toyota guy keeps saying 5K or six months. I can maybe see once a year for low-mileage cars but every six months? Does it really go bad that quickly?

Regardless of your OCI, vehicles need to be inspected periodically for any potential safety or repair issues. Toyota went to the 1/10K OCI in 2010 but still programmed the maintenance light to illuminate every 5K for a tire rotation and inspection.
like toyota says

rack up

rack down

it’s still not an excuse for an unnecessary LOF job

i detect sarcasm, but I cant tell. Especially since the 99 corolla 1zzfe was notoriously bad for oil burning issues (needed more oil return holes that were either implemented with the DIY bennie fix or updated pistons). 10K oci is wild for that vintage of rolla

I've changed at.less than 3k miles, but at about 7 mos. I've been on a 6 month, 5,000 mile schedule since purchasing the car. I think I'm OK with your scenario, but I'd definitely want to use a high quality oil if stretching the OCI to a year. An oil that "meets the specs" would never be in the sump under those conditions.
Is the API standard useless as a marker of oil quality in relation to how long it can work whether measured as factor of time/mileage?

I have extended our OCI since coming to BITOG but I didn't do it right away. It took me some time to get past the 3mo/3K OCI.
Now I just do it twice-a-year. And the OCI could be anywhere between 5K-7K miles depending on how the vehicles was used during that time.

Is the API standard useless as a marker of oil quality in relation to how long it can work whether measured as factor of time/mileage?
My understanding is that it's a minimum standard. That, in part, is why I use the higher level M1 oil, and why I'm going to the HPL meeting. At least API is a reference point, but some of the acknowledged better quality oils don't have API approvals. That's something to think about.

We’ve beat this Toyota video within an inch of it’s life if not to death already.

Not very high opinion of Ford video poster… frankly do not believe that piston is out of an 18,000 mile motor with actual 5000 mile changes .

in a tdi engine like my Honda never....
in my vibe with Toyotas 1.8l mpfi perhaps under the right conditions...ah heck never have done 10k probably never will...I like 5k shoot me...

So that engine in the video looked fine/really clean everywhere else but rings. I wonder how the rings would have looked with the use of a flush product such as LM Engine Flush (or running the HPL EC) at some interval maintaining 10K changes? Could fuel quality have any impact? Would 5K for sure have prevented this? Would a higher quality oil (what is "higher quality") have prevented it at 10K?

Last edited:
Back