Why 10K Miles Oil change may not be good!

I don't like crawling under a car more than I need to. I also don't care to waste oil as a resource. Besides of all of that though, I'm a nerd for data.
Regardless of your OCI, vehicles need to be inspected periodically for any potential safety or repair issues. Toyota went to the 1/10K OCI in 2010 but still programmed the maintenance light to illuminate every 5K for a tire rotation and inspection.

I am a big proponent of this schedule since it allows the vehicle to receive a proper inspection (under-hood and under-vehicle) on a frequent basis. This is especially important on older vehicles that are naturally more prone to developing mechanical and safety issues.

It's not the ramps and creeper. It's the bad back that doesn't like transitioning to and from the ground.
That is a unique personal issue. If this is preventing you from maintaining your vehicles properly (because a good vehicle PM schedule involves more than just oil changes), then maybe you need to consider other options. If you are only inspecting your vehicles every 20K, your approach is not in the best interest of vehicle reliability or safety.

You're not getting it. Let's try this. You change your oil at 10k miles. I'll change my oil at 20k miles. You do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.
This is a forum. Are you not open to debate or being challenged? 😁

Where did I say I've owned it for 500,000 miles? My point was that it's unlikely any engine will make it to 500,000 miles with 20K OCIs. If that went over your head, I'm sorry.
You lack the resources to produce anything that could go over my head.

You posted a shot of a vehicle you bought with that mileage on it. You have no real idea of its maintenance history, and you certainly weren't involved in getting it there. It's a ridiculous strawman; an impotent "chest thump" and an attempt to garner credit where none is due, because this isn't your achievement, nor a testament to anything you've said or done. This "example" is a red herring because it's not yours to laud.

Is that clear enough or do I need to break it down further?

BTW, plenty of large trucks make it to 500,000 miles and beyond with OCI's beyond 20,000 miles. You need a lubricant that is up to the task, a volume of that lubricant that's sufficient, and an engine that's tolerant of that type of extended service and capable of the mileage.

The "million mile Ford van" had 10-20,000 mile OCI's and finally died at 1,299,986 miles:
ENGINE: 1,299,986 Miles and it has died. The motor lost oil pressure. I turned off the motor about a dozen times and restarted it and the pressure came back but for only a mile or two and then dropped back to nothing. It finally just dropped out and died. R.I.P Million Mile Van.

The radiator cracked and was replaced in July 2004 but the hoses were still the originals. My first serpentine belt reached 502,979 miles before I changed it. I still have it as a trophy belt. :eek:) I used Valvoline 10W-40 motor oil and change it every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. The longest I’ve went between oil changes is 55,000 miles. It used a quart of oil or more every tank of gas. I usually waited for the oil to turn black before changing it.

So yes, it's possible to go more than double as far as your Sequoia, not even using a "premium" oil, at long intervals, given the right mix of engine, drive profile and lube. Perhaps a better lube would have kept his consumption down? Definitely something to consider. Valvoline 10W-40 is not an extended drain oil.

Last edited:
That is a unique personal issue. If this is preventing you from maintaining your vehicles properly (because a good vehicle PM schedule involves more than just oil changes), then maybe you need to 80s consider other options. If you are only inspecting your vehicles every 20K, your approach is not in the best interest of vehicle reliability or
I am in a si.ilar situation. Thete's no way I'm crawling on the ground beneath my car, but I do frequent under-car inspections. I take.the Camry to a long-time repair guy and put it on a lift, spend abt 30 .in or so exing for wear items, leaks .ds
Age. Etc. I do that about every 6 - 10 months. Did that before leaving on this trip.

I'm like in the sense that I want to know as much as possible abt the vonditon of.my car, and.this routine works for me. Might not be so good for others

You posted a shot of a vehicle you bought with that mileage on it. You have no real idea of its maintenance history, and you certainly weren't involved in getting it there. It's a ridiculous strawman and an attempt to garner credit where none is due, because this isn't your achievement, nor a testament to anything you've said or done.
Again, where do I say I drove it 500,000 miles? Everybody here knows I didn't put those miles on it........whoooosh.

Again, where do I say I drove it 500,000 miles? Everybody here knows I didn't put those miles on it. (*juvenile nonsense removed*)
We sure do, so why did you post pictures of the valve cover off like this is your achievement and, despite not knowing the maintenance history, use this as a foundation for your claim that it can't be achieved with 20,000 mile OCI's?

You don't know how that vehicle got to 500,000 miles, it's not your success story, but it is one you appear eager to hijack to push your narrative in this thread.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited:
10K miles for OCI, who does that!??

early OCI is a lowest cost of insurance for durability and longevity of your engine

the same goes for your food, everyones likes fresh ingredients or food at the dining table so the same goes for car fluids

again, change your oil early
I agree 200%! I have no want to push the envelope to squeeze every ounce of life out of an oil change. I keep all my cars' fluids clean and fresh, and I've never had a hydraulic component failure, ever.

We sure do, so why did you post pictures of the valve cover off like this is your achievement and, despite not knowing the maintenance history, use this as a foundation for your claim that it can't be achieved with 20,000 mile OCI's?

You don't know how that vehicle got to 500,000 miles, it's not your success story, but its one you appear eager to hijack to push your narrative in this thread.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
I just posted the picture to show how clean an engine with 500,000 miles can look. If in your mind you twisted that around to think I'm taking credit for it or boasting that I drove it that far, so be it. Everybody else here seems to know about my ownership in the car, so what is your problem with it?

I just posted the picture to show how clean an engine with 500,000 miles can look. If in your mind you twisted that around to think I'm taking credit for it or boasting that I drove it that far, so be it. Everybody else here seems to know about my ownership in the car, so what is your problem with it?
No you didn't. The context of the conversation is very clear. You were in the middle of an argument where your position was, to roughly paraphrase here, 20K mile OCIs are bad for an engine and not as good as 10K mile OCIs, and then you posted that picture with a challenge to the other side of the argument to post their own picture at 500K, "if it even makes it" to that mileage. It's not hard to understand the implication you had behind the picture. It was outright disingenuous, but you probably deliberately didn't claim anything in writing so if/when you got called out (as you have been) you could take the juvenile approach and just say, "I never said that." Your story doesn't make sense and it definitely doesn't pass the smell test. Just move on.

Regardless of whether or not you were trying to take ownership of the maintenance of the vehicle over its 500,000 miles, can you conclusively state what the OCIs were, or what fluids and filters were used over that time?

If not, then your post was completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand and did nothing to support your argument.

This thread is funny. Your OCI is whatever makes you feel good. I lean more toward 10k and results have never been bad. I've run a few analysis to make me feel good about it. When I run into an oil related issue, I'll be sure to post.

My Tundra, RX 350, and Soul will all be on 5k mile OCIs and 10k oil filter intervals (I change the filter every 5k miles for the first 20k miles). I tend to still use 20K mile oils like M1 EP and Castrol Edge EP. These are all also PFIs or combo PFI/DI engines and I run fuel system cleaners like Barryman or Techron or Redline every 5k miles. If this combo doesn't keep these engines relatively clean I don't know what will...
What oil filters do you use?

in a nutshell, it boils down to for how long do you want to keep your car down the road; so if you plan to keep it for yourself in the long run then you'll keep the maintenance to shorter intervals. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping it for 5 years for example, then your maintenance interval is not as important

if you watch the video from top that's exactly what he argus, those long OCI are tied to the warranty period, everything beyond that point is on the owner

needless to say, Toyota and Honda are most forgivable ones when comes down to skipping on maintenance, on the other side of scale are premium models that are very delicate tools on maintenance intervals
I completely agree.

Back