Why 10K Miles Oil change may not be good!

I'd think the oil and filter would be loaded with dirt by 10K.

If the engine has a blow-by problem and poor air filtration, then sure. Her's doesn't show any major uptick in silicon (dirt) in UOA, the filter is dirty but not clogged when I cut it open, and snaking a bore scope through it shows no build up of sludge and minimal varnish. It also only consumed 0.5 qt in the last 20k mile run. It has 179k miles on it now.

For the cost of a silly UOA you could have already done a 10K oil change.
If you’re seeking the lowest possible operating costs (via extended OCI), UOA’s should not be part of the equation imo. Once you include their costs, one’s extended OCI adventure rarely becomes economical. The trick is to go as long as you can without having to resort to doing your own testing. For most people, this usually means following the maximum interval set forth by the OEM.

For the cost of a silly UOA you could have already done a 10K oil change.

I don't like crawling under a car more than I need to. I also don't care to waste oil as a resource. Besides of all of that though, I'm a nerd for data.

The cost isn't a factor to me. Just 1 tank of gas costs more than an oil change. Oil is dirt cheap compared to other expenses surrounding vehicles.

I would also think that the Camry would rev higher and be driven harder than a Lincoln Town Car.
You may be surprised. My 2018 Camry runs around town at less than rpm, oftentimes less than 1500 rpm. On the highway at 70 mph, I believe it's right at 2000 rpm.

Same for my BMW B48 4 cylinder...although it is turbocharged.

I'd think the oil and filter would be loaded with dirt by 10K.
MANY Honda engine manuals say to change the filter every OTHER oil change, and they have 10K non-severe service OCI's.

As an experiment, I ran a Ford 4.6 for three OCI's of 5000 each, all with the same Motocraft filter. The insolubles went from 0.4 to 0.3 to 0.2 by the end of that test. Silicon didn't increase. Cut it open to examine the medium, looked just like the ones I cut open with only 5000 miles.

If you’re seeking the lowest possible operating costs (via extended OCI), UOA’s should not be part of the equation imo.
Yet he claims 20K OCI and UOA's. At 10K OCI he wouldn't need UOA's and his engine would be better protected.

I don't like crawling under a car more than I need to.
Can you get a set of ramps and a creeper? Makes it much easier. And most people here enjoy and get satisfaction from working on their cars.

I also don't care to waste oil as a resource.
Yet you don't mind wasting money on UOA's?

Oil is dirt cheap compared to other expenses surrounding vehicles.
Exactly, hence the 10K OCI making more sense than 20K+UOA's

Yet he claims 20K OCI and UOA's. At 10K OCI he wouldn't need UOA's and his engine would be better protected.

What makes you so sure the engine would be better protected? An extra dry start waiting for the oil system to prime after that extra oil change? The increased wear that some studies suggest occur in the first few hundred miles after an oil change? What makes you so sure that my engine has less wear than yours?

Can you get a set of ramps and a creeper? Makes it much easier. And most people here enjoy and get satisfaction from working on their cars.

It's not the ramps and creeper. It's the bad back that doesn't like transitioning to and from the ground.

I enjoy working on cars. I build engines as a hobby and am pretty heavily involved in motorsports. I'm still not going to change my oil more than I need to. That includes the drag car on methanol.

The UOA is worth the cost just for the data. I'm a junkie for data. Therefore, it's not a waste of money to me.

You're not getting it. Let's try this. You change your oil at 10k miles. I'll change my oil at 20k miles. You do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.

Ah yes, the Great Car Care Nut. I just watched the first video, which he just posted three hours ago.

It is very persuasive, and provides specific video/experience.

Typical oil change intervals should be at 5k miles or 6 months, with oil of known quality and value. This is to avoid such things as frozen oil control rings.

Watching this video was 45 minutes very well spent IMV.
I feel like that Camry owner might have saved himself 6k with a piston soak when it first started burning oil.

Or maybe with 5K oil changes 😃

You're not getting it. Let's try this. You change your oil at 10k miles. I'll change my oil at 20k miles. You do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.
OK, if your engine looks as good, or even makes it to 500,000 miles as my Sequoia, with 20K OCI, post back a pic.

210.JPG

Across all US models VW recommends 1 year / 10,000 miles. Both my wife and I and my MIL own MKVII Jettas. I change our oil out every 5K whereas she runs all the way out to 10K / 1 year. She just bought out the lease and seems to be ready to own it long term. So we will see how things play out.

I think some set ups are able to do 10K miles OCI's and do quite well in the long run, but our Jettas have a high strung turbo / direct injections and a small 4.2 quart sump. I just can't bring myself to go 10K with it especially as it is used primary for very short trips.
in a nutshell, it boils down to for how long do you want to keep your car down the road; so if you plan to keep it for yourself in the long run then you'll keep the maintenance to shorter intervals. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping it for 5 years for example, then your maintenance interval is not as important

if you watch the video from top that's exactly what he argus, those long OCI are tied to the warranty period, everything beyond that point is on the owner

needless to say, Toyota and Honda are most forgivable ones when comes down to skipping on maintenance, on the other side of scale are premium models that are very delicate tools on maintenance intervals

OK, if your engine looks as good, or even makes it to 500,000 miles as my Sequoia, with 20K OCI, post back a pic.

View attachment 110535
Taking credit for somebody else's work there aren't you? You bought that vehicle with that many miles on it, this is not a testament/tribute to your maintenance practices or philosophy.

Oh yeah I do that, although sometimes I do it at 8 or 9k. Sump holds 8.5 quarts of oil on my 2008 Mercedes E350 and the original Mercedes recommendation was 13k but then they lowered it 10k. Just Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 in it or whatever meets MB 229.5. Pretty much the standard oil change interval for Mercedes is 10k across their entire line. They do spec synthetic oil though.
Yep. I drove an M60 BMW 540i for about 15 years/200k+ miles. It had an 8-liter sump. Oil was always synthetic, usually Mobil 1 or Delvac 1. I retired the car at about 300K miles due to rust.

Have you ever heard of a hobby? It's a hobby, guy. My question is, why are you so insecure about your own practices that you feel the need to convince someone else that they need to be insecure about theirs? You're going a little hard on this, don't you think?

Yep. I drove an M60 BMW 540i for about 15 years/200k+ miles. It had an 8-liter sump. Oil was always synthetic, usually Mobil 1 or Delvac 1. I retired the car at about 300K miles due to rust.
That said, my wife drives a 2007 Prius with an oil capacity of 3.5 liters. I'm on that oil change religiously at 4500 miles. So far the engine uses no oil at 150K miles.

Taking credit for somebody else's work there aren't you? You bought that vehicle with that many miles on it, this is not a testament/tribute to your maintenance practices or philosophy.
Where did I say I've owned it for 500,000 miles? My point was that it's unlikely any engine will make it to 500,000 miles with 20K OCIs. If that went over your head, I'm sorry.

10K OCI with synthetics on my 2.5L MZR in my 2011 Mazda6. I did the valve cover gasket at 150K and engine was spotless. Now at 170K miles. No burning of oil during 10K OCI.

YMMV

Back