Who's still driving a stick shift daily?

Our Crosstrek is a manual and I'll drive it as long as I can. The fact that it's port injected and lacking a big iPad in the middle of the dash makes it feel like I'm driving a prehistoric dinosaur sometimes.

What are you driving?
Up until 6 months ago, I was driving a last gen Ranger: I will always take a manual over an automatic.

And I racked up a good 100k in stop and go NYC traffic during rushhour: unless someone has a physical malady, or they're driving a diesel or a big block V8, the complaints about shifting a manual are ridiculously overstated.

Manuals last forever, and require minimal service.

I used to but not currently and no plans to go back to it. Once you start riding motorcycles, stick shift cars start feeling needlessly clumsy. Also, with how modern manual cars have such bad rev-hang now, that totally sucks the fun out of it for me. No idea why anybody wants that.

Funny I love a manual in a car/truck but I only considered a Hydrostat when I was tractor shopping..
If our little tractors had wet multiplate clutches, I think I would've considered it as they can take lots more slipping. But a dry single plate clutch and loader work sounds either very tedious, or expensive....
The HST is nice though for most jobs.

If our little tractors had wet multiplate clutches, I think I would've considered it as they can take lots more slipping. But a dry single plate clutch and loader work sounds either very tedious, or expensive....
The HST is nice though for most jobs.
Yeah I've driven a manual version of my tractor and for what I do which is mostly loader work with some mowing/tilling HST is the only way to go if you have the option IMO. I really like that speed is infinitely variable and the tractor stops when I let off the pedals.

The last manual trans that I've had for some years is an '82 Dodge pickup. Slant six with the A833 OD trans. 4th gear is so tall (.71) that it's useless under 55-60. Also a motorcycle, of course.

I drive a manual transmission Forester and I feel the same way, I love it. But its either planetary automatic transmission or manual transmissions for me. No manual transmissions for stop and go--yuck.

Back