Who's still driving a stick shift daily?

Somedays I miss driving a stick. Hard to believe it's been six or more years since I daily'd one. Don't even have one in the stable now, would never have guessed I'd have gotten to this point, not when I was 16-18-20 years old.

Not my daily, but I worked hard to turn the auto into a stick....shifted on the column.
20210221_081505.jpg
20210207_163829.jpg
20200808_143045.jpg

Back in 2017 when I ordered my Chevy SS Sadan, I could’ve opted for the M6 trans but my neuropathy said no. Just as well because I’m usually sipping on something and I don’t wanna be stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic riding a clutch. 🫤

Back in 2017 when I ordered my Chevy SS Sadan, I could’ve opted for the M6 trans but my neuropathy said no. Just as well because I’m usually sipping on something and I don’t wanna be stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic riding a clutch. 🫤
Ironically, no sooner did my wife give up her stickshift did she get arthritis. She probably could have managed but I have wondered if it wasn't for the best for her to give it up when she did (she also got into a hybrid and nearly doubled the mpg, that she was quite happy with).

I started driving tractors when I was 6, long before tractors had any sort of automatic. I never owned an automatic transmission vehicle until 2014, by which time options were limited. At least my bikes are still manual.

Ah the American E39 M5...
How are you enjoying the SS thus far?

All the cars I ever owned had 3 pedals and stick shift, including my 3 current cars in signature. Every time I drive a rental car with slushbox or CVT is a reminder of how boring and uninspiring they are. I successfully converted my wife, she no longer has any interest in driving automatics, either. Took my daughter a while to master the clutch but all her driving lessons were with 3 pedals and 6 speeds. She passed her practical test on 1st attempt, uphill parallel parking and all, with only a hint of clutch BBQ lingering in the cabin on the way home :). And yes, we're all in the U.S.

Somedays I miss driving a stick. Hard to believe it's been six or more years since I daily'd one. Don't even have one in the stable now, would never have guessed I'd have gotten to this point, not when I was 16-18-20 years old.
That's the problem. The options are becoming so limited that it takes real dedication keep a driveway full of MTs.

I started driving tractors when I was 6, long before tractors had any sort of automatic. I never owned an automatic transmission vehicle until 2014, by which time options were limited. At least my bikes are still manual.
Similar story with different numbers. The tractor part is 11, and the auto trans part is 2011. Maybe this is why I don't relate to the "I love manuals but can't because of traffic." To me the two have nothing to do with each other. Does traffic need to determine what transmission a vehicle has? It's like the tail wagging the dog :D

We still have a 5-speed in the fleet..my previous daily that is now my son's daily so yes, we still daily a stick. If I bought a new car today it would likely be a MK8 VW GTI or R and the manual option would be v. attractive. No stop/go obnoxious traffic here in the Richmond VA area so daily-ing a stick is low-drama/not an issue.

I generally believe that a manual transmission makes you a better driver. You actually have to pat some attention to what's going on, and what's ahead.

If everyone in that traffic jam had a manual, then it would creep along in 1st geat....rather than 10mph....stop.....10mph.....stop.....10mph.....

Not my daily, but I worked hard to turn the auto into a stick....shifted on the column. View attachment 147960
Nice. Buddy in crime just picked up a '55 Chevy Truck with the big back window and a 265 SBC and a truck 4 speed. No rust.

Sorting out ignition and carburetor woes. Has a Rochester 2GC. Didn't even know they had rochesters in the mid 50's.
Full batt voltage at the coil with key on. Points are likely toast. Someone was messing up the wiring. Easy enough but frustrating.

Nice. Buddy in crime just picked up a '55 Chevy Truck with the big back window and a 265 SBC and a truck 4 speed. No rust.

Sorting out ignition and carburetor woes. Has a Rochester 2GC. Didn't even know they had rochesters in the mid 50's.
Full batt voltage at the coil with key on. Points are likely toast. Someone was messing up the wiring. Easy enough but frustrating.
I really love restorations. Has to be a labor of love though. The 59 Ford I pictured I completly rewired. Only factory wiring left is to the tail lights and fuel sender.

Fuses and relays galore, so everything is safe and no smoke will come out if you know what I mean!

Was at a show a few years back and smoke started pouring out from the grille of a late 50s Lincoln. Mind you, all the cars were parked and not running. Thankfully someone had a fire extinguisher, the (unfused) generator decided to short out and the car would most certainly have burned.

Scary stuff, especially if it were in the garage at night.

2002 Saturn SL2, manual, 80,000 miles
Hand crank windows, manual locks.

5th gear is from an SL1, which changed the gear ratio from .730 to .605…

Getting 40+ MPG on the highway…
Not a manual, but we had a 2000 Saturn SL2 with the auto, that was the best car I've ever owned, it would get low 40's for mpg's on the hwy, usually mid 30's commuting to and from work. The only thing besides routine maintenence that I ever had to do was a water pump in 2010. It was easy to work on, ATF changes were a breeze with the spin on ATF filter. I'd like to think that we'd still be driving it today, but we had a nasty PNW windstorm a day or two before Thanksgiving 2014 or 2015, and a tree took it out at 212,000 miles 😔
That was a great car

Not a manual, but we had a 2000 Saturn SL2 with the auto, that was the best car I've ever owned, it would get low 40's for mpg's on the hwy, usually mid 30's commuting to and from work. The only thing besides routine maintenence that I ever had to do was a water pump in 2010. It was easy to work on, ATF changes were a breeze with the spin on ATF filter. I'd like to think that we'd still be driving it today, but we had a nasty PNW windstorm a day or two before Thanksgiving 2014 or 2015, and a tree took it out at 212,000 miles 😔
That was a great car
Saturn was the company GM wished they could be

I generally believe that a manual transmission makes you a better driver. You actually have to pat some attention to what's going on, and what's ahead.

If everyone in that traffic jam had a manual, then it would creep along in 1st geat....rather than 10mph....stop.....10mph.....stop.....10mph.....
I almost want to say a person learns mechanical sympathy hands on as a result. Being told not to lug the engine is reinforced by it happening. Even still, knowing to downshift imho reinforces how the vehicle works. How would someone get any of it by driving a CVT? Ditto with a 24 speed bike. I only had 10 growing up, so once I got a 24 speed I actually saw how unnecessary all those gears are. I basically use 24, and maybe 22, then the other extreme, 3 or 8. All the in-between I don't.

I am fed up with not being able to find anything with a stick and I absolutely refuse to consider Toyota Honda Nissan kia Hyundai. No way no how
Im currently converting my 85 dodge d150 with it's slant 6 from auto to a stick ...

Back