Which Oil for Cross Country Trip

Mobil 1 Extended and a Mobil 1 filter, I’ve gone 10k of city and short trip driving on that combo and it looked very good coming out. Sounds like a great trip and with COVID I think you’re one of the few BITOGers who won’t be doing their change super early (5k miles) because they’ve got an itch to do more than one OCIs a year.

Same here .

I love driving long distance and some advice for your trip. Keep the speed to a max of 65 mph and that should keep your fuel mileage up at a reasonable rate. In my 97 Volvo 2.9L I6 (132K) the difference on a long drive >1000 miles with a max speed of 65 mph, the fuel mileage is 2.5-3.0 mpg better than driving at the speed limit of 70 mph. Second if there is any wear on the engine the lower speed will keep your oil usage to a minimum. At 70 mph I'll go through about 3/4 a quart on a 1,200 mile trip. On the other hand I'll only use a 1/2 quart over the round trip of 2,400 miles with the max speed set at 65 mph.

I don't know your mileage but remember that is a ten year old car and you don't want to push it even though it's a Toyota Camry.

I'm contemplating a cross-country trip, California to NYC and back, and will take a somewhat circuitous route. Similar trips in the past suggest a total of about 10,000 miles. Plan to do a complete oil change just before starting out, and my oil choices are Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Annual Protection (which are on hand).

Thinking of using the Toyota TRD oil filter if for no other reason its apparent robust construction. I like the steel end caps and the silicone gaskets at either end, suggesting a better seal and more oil being filtered at each pass. Another thought is the Amsoil EA15K02, which looks to be a close cousin, if not a brother, to the TRD. I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't think I've ever gone so far without an oil change, but, as we know, oil has changed and improved a lot over the past 10 years or so. Which oil do the experts here feel is best suited to this trip and able go the distance? I'd like to make the trip without doing an oil change. How about doing a filter change and a top up about half way through the trip? Think it's necessary? Any thoughts on the filter choices? BTW, $$$ for oil and filters, and cost of any labor, is totally irrelevant.

Thanks for your comments ...(y)
Do yourself and your oil a break and don’t go as far as NYC. It’s a bit of a dump. Turn around when you get to Pennsylvania and call it a road trip. No oil change needed.

I'm contemplating a cross-country trip, California to NYC and back, and will take a somewhat circuitous route.
During a pandemic? Well, I guess it's better than flying. Nevertheless, the necessary health precautions complicate travel in this era.

I love driving long distance and some advice for your trip. Keep the speed to a max of 65 mph and that should keep your fuel mileage up at a reasonable rate. In my 97 Volvo 2.9L I6 (132K) the difference on a long drive >1000 miles with a max speed of 65 mph, the fuel mileage is 2.5-3.0 mpg better than driving at the speed limit of 70 mph. Second if there is any wear on the engine the lower speed will keep your oil usage to a minimum. At 70 mph I'll go through about 3/4 a quart on a 1,200 mile trip. On the other hand I'll only use a 1/2 quart over the round trip of 2,400 miles with the max speed set at 65 mph.

I don't know your mileage but remember that is a ten year old car and you don't want to push it even though it's a Toyota Camry.
I tend to drive conservatively, and would probably drive in a manner similar to what you've suggested. Apart from mechanical and fuel mileage considerations, I'm an old guy and like to drive well within my comfort level. My reflexes are nowhere near where they were when I made my first x-country trip in 1967.

10k miles no issue with the oils you suggested! Especially since there will be some highway driving accounting for most of the miles.

Very curious what you decided on after the responses you've rec'd. Have you decided ?

You're going to do the trip without changing the oil at some point, yeah ? Google Maps tells me ~2800 from LA to NYC, so let's call that 6000 round-trip. You said you're not taking the straightest route but you'll no doubt stay well under 10,000 miles. No problem for a Camry and that oil. 👍

I would not recommend going 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Just stop in at a Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles or so during your travels. They are all over the country and employ some of the best lubrication and service techs in the industry. Many of them are ASE certified. They also check your tires, air/cabin filters, fuel filters, lube chassis, transmission service, brake service, glass replacement, and more. Complete vehicle inspection and diagnostics are a free service

I have been using Jiffy Lube for years and get nothing but very quick top notch service for a great price. And with this COVID going on they all wear masks and fully clean and disinfect your car when the job is complete.

I cannot say enough good about Jiffy Lube. They are the gold standard for lubrication services in the US.
You're supposed to write these ridiculous statements in sarcasm font, not in serious statement font.
People write all kinda lame stuff on this site... how are we supposed to know who is earnest and who is LOLing as they type?

OP will be fine with any synthetic and his filter choices. No issues going premium or going cheap. have confidence, these are easy miles. Just think, when you are cruising along fully warmed up with the engine at 2k rpm or less you will be Imposing several magnitudes less wear than breaking the miles into 10 mile trips.

You're supposed to write these ridiculous statements in sarcasm font, not in serious statement font.
People write all kinda lame stuff on this site... how are we supposed to know who is earnest and who is LOLing as they type?

I figured everyone wold get the dark humor....

That would not fall under the category of dark humor. It seems you only changed your tune because people pounced all over your post.

I've had to go behind Jiffy lubes oil changes and would not use them unless it was a last resort. I most certainly did not think anyone would take that post serious.

I've had to go behind Jiffy lubes oil changes and would not use them unless it was a last resort. I most certainly did not think anyone would take that post serious.
I got it ... don't think I'd call it dark humor, more like sarcasm ... Illegitimi non carborundum

Last edited:
how are we supposed to know who is earnest and who is LOLing as they type?
People need to make their own choices, not make decisions based on posts or comments here, especially a single comment as if it's gospel. Welcome to the internet.

People are going to be sarcastic ... that’s life. But one member suggested using an emoji when doing so. As for LoL? I read it differently when a reply starts with LoL vs ending with LoL...

Back