Which Oil for Cross Country Trip

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm contemplating a cross-country trip, California to NYC and back, and will take a somewhat circuitous route. Similar trips in the past suggest a total of about 10,000 miles. Plan to do a complete oil change just before starting out, and my oil choices are Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Annual Protection (which are on hand).

Thinking of using the Toyota TRD oil filter if for no other reason its apparent robust construction. I like the steel end caps and the silicone gaskets at either end, suggesting a better seal and more oil being filtered at each pass. Another thought is the Amsoil EA15K02, which looks to be a close cousin, if not a brother, to the TRD. I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't think I've ever gone so far without an oil change, but, as we know, oil has changed and improved a lot over the past 10 years or so. Which oil do the experts here feel is best suited to this trip and able go the distance? I'd like to make the trip without doing an oil change. How about doing a filter change and a top up about half way through the trip? Think it's necessary? Any thoughts on the filter choices? BTW, $$$ for oil and filters, and cost of any labor, is totally irrelevant.

Thanks for your comments ...(y)

I'm contemplating a cross-country trip, California to NYC and back, and will take a somewhat circuitous route. Similar trips in the past suggest a total of about 10,000 miles. Plan to do a complete oil change just before starting out, and my oil choices are Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Annual Protection (which are on hand).

Thinking of using the Toyota TRD oil filter if for no other reason its apparent robust construction. I like the steel end caps and the silicone gaskets at either end, suggesting a better seal and more oil being filtered at each pass. Another thought is the Amsoil EA15K02, which looks to be a close cousin, if not a brother, to the TRD. I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't think I've ever gone so far without an oil change, but, as we know, oil has changed and improved a lot over the past 10 years or so. Which oil do the experts here feel is best suited to this trip and able go the distance? I'd like to make the trip without doing an oil change. How about doing a filter change and a top up about half way through the trip? Think it's necessary? Any thoughts on the filter choices? BTW, $$$ for oil and filters, and cost of any labor, is totally irrelevant.

Thanks for your comments ...(y)
Vehicle type? Engine platform?

Mobil 1 Extended and a Mobil 1 filter, I’ve gone 10k of city and short trip driving on that combo and it looked very good coming out. Sounds like a great trip and with COVID I think you’re one of the few BITOGers who won’t be doing their change super early (5k miles) because they’ve got an itch to do more than one OCIs a year.

I would not recommend going 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Just stop in at a Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles or so during your travels. They are all over the country and employ some of the best lubrication and service techs in the industry. Many of them are ASE certified. They also check your tires, air/cabin filters, fuel filters, lube chassis, transmission service, brake service, glass replacement, and more. Complete vehicle inspection and diagnostics are a free service

I have been using Jiffy Lube for years and get nothing but very quick top notch service for a great price. And with this COVID going on they all wear masks and fully clean and disinfect your car when the job is complete.

I cannot say enough good about Jiffy Lube. They are the gold standard for lubrication services in the US.

Just stop in at a Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles or so during your travels. They are all over the country and employ some of the best lubrication and service techs in the industry. Many of them are ASE certified. They also check your tires, air/cabin filters, fuel filters, lube chassis, transmission service, brake service, glass replacement, and more. Complete vehicle inspection and diagnostics are a free service

I have been using Jiffy Lube for years and get nothing but very quick top notch service for a great price. And with this COVID going on they all wear masks and fully clean and disinfect your car when the job is complete.

I cannot say enough good about Jiffy Lube. They are the gold standard for lubrication services in the US.
Lol🤷‍♀️
All hwy miles don't worry just enjoy your trip
I would change oil and drive locally for a couple of days just to make sure you have no leaks or any surprises

You've got to be kidding with that totally ridiculous suggestion. At 3k miles a regular synthetic oil is just starting to shall we say "mature" in the engine, especially easy highway miles. A good long drain oil like EP or AP with a premium oil filter will easily handle 10k. You're also suggesting he stop in at JL or similar quick change? Only bad can happen the more you frequent those places, perfect way to screw up your otherwise enjoyable trip.😎

You've got to be kidding with that totally ridiculous suggestion. At 3k miles a regular synthetic oil is just starting to shall we say "mature" in the engine, especially easy highway miles. A good long drain oil like EP or AP with a premium oil filter will easily handle 10k. You're also suggesting he stop in at JL or similar quick change? Only bad can happen the more you frequent those places, perfect way to screw up your otherwise enjoyable trip.😎
A4609E95-0A14-4B8D-8728-831CBFD0E0A9.png

I’ve never heard of a jiffy lube using ASE techs, if that’s the case these quick changes have came a long way. Back when I was 16 I was hired in and thrown to the pit right off the bat. Lucky for customers I did know what I was doing but seen many come that didn’t have a clue what they was doing. If I was ever in a situation where I had to go to one I would have to watch every step.

10,000 highway miles is nothing for a good synthetic oil. BTW the owners manual for my 1997 Volvo recommends 10,000 mile oil changes for highway driving. And we all know oil has gotten a whole lot better in the last 24 years.

65499007.jpg

Back