Which Oil for Cross Country Trip

Either oil and any filter of your choice. What about the most important filter...The air filter.
It will be a fresh Toyota/Denso filter. I feel quite comfortable with them. Will have a new cabin filter, too.

Carry a few extra qts and top off as needed. Any Mobil 1 or any synthetic should be able to handle 10K miles of highway driving :cool:
Wouldn't think of making the trip without a couple of quarts of top off oil.

Wouldn't think of making the trip without a couple of quarts of top off oil.

I would. A 2011 Camry is maybe close to the bubble but I'd hop in my 2015 Camry and do 10,000 miles tomorrow without a care about oil or any other fluids.

I would. A 2011 Camry is maybe close to the bubble but I'd hop in my 2015 Camry and do 10,000 miles tomorrow without a care about oil or any other fluids.
Done that, and now I'm older, wiser, and more experienced. Haven't had the car long enough to know its oil use tendency, so a quart or two in the trunk raises my comfort level. As does a full size spare, some extra light bulbs, a couple of energy bars in the glove box, and a first aid kit.

10K on synthetic and a good filter is FINE especially on a road trip.

If you have a jug of AP and a jug of EP on the shelf - Id throw in the AP but either is great oil.

I would not recommend going 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Just stop in at a Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles or so during your travels. They are all over the country and employ some of the best lubrication and service techs in the industry. Many of them are ASE certified. They also check your tires, air/cabin filters, fuel filters, lube chassis, transmission service, brake service, glass replacement, and more. Complete vehicle inspection and diagnostics are a free service

I have been using Jiffy Lube for years and get nothing but very quick top notch service for a great price. And with this COVID going on they all wear masks and fully clean and disinfect your car when the job is complete.

I cannot say enough good about Jiffy Lube. They are the gold standard for lubrication services in the US.

This is the reply of the year no doubt 🤣

I drove a 2012 Camry for work and we were required to do 10k mile oil changes on Mobil 1. Never had an issue nor did I ever add a quart. I drove this car on the highway almost only. It's still on the road today at the same company, though I don't know the miles.

There should be no need to do anything different than normal. Do an oil change about a week before you go. Don’t do it the day before you go, **** happens, you want to make sure everything is good before you go, don’t want to be a day into your trip and find out the filter is leaking.

Well, then, here it is: 2011 Camry 2.5

Hi there Shel, I figured you got my dark joke about Jiffy Lube. I all seriousness I would do as you stated and just give your car a quick check under the hood at fuel stops, and do a small pre trip each morning before heading out. Checking lights, signals, tire condition, etc. I think you are going have a trouble free trip.

Also before you leave, make sure your spare has air in it. I personally bring a cheap air compressor and some rope plugs with me, small jump pack, fuses, bulbs, and some basic hand tools.

And yes the oil you are going to use is fine. As stated by a few others just keep an extra quart with you.

Maybe give your tires a good look-over?

Also, ollie forgot that Jiffy-Lube also removes suspension components and tests with a hydraulic reboundometer.
I have my own Rebound-O-Meter® ... Highly under rated tool!

I would just run the oil for your whole trip. As mentioned by others highway driving is easy on oil.

If you really are paranoid about changing the oil half way I'm sure some of our members along the way here would be honored to help you out with an oil change at their house. I would just change the oil if I was doing that and leave the filter on for the whole trip.

Back