Which oil filter would you use on your 5.0/3.5 based on looks alone ?

1681697284267.png

Should of changed oil filter🤔
LoL ... lots of ticking 5.0L Coyotes regardless of what oil filter is used. What you're experiencing is something different than the typewriter tick it seems - the oil filter has no effect on the typewriter tick. Could be something else, like the cam phasers. Leave the filter on that seems to "cure" it and see what happens down the road.

LoL ... lots of ticking 5.0L Coyotes regardless of what oil filter is used. What you're experiencing is something different than the typewriter tick is seems. Could be something else, like the cam phasers.
Could be phasers but I doubt it as I replaced phasers on my 2009 f150 5.4 3v, that had a bad warm idle knock, I took apart the old phasers and was surprised how many small moving parts and springs were in there and very small oil passages, not sure if the 5.0 has similar phasers.

The taller wix 57045xp provided a very quite tic free 5.0, this filter is spec for gm and chrysler engines, the short wix 57502xp is spec for ford, difference between the 2 is obviously height and bypass psi, 57502xp has a 22psi bypass, 57045xp has 12psi, I was concerned about that and found out that wix updated the 57045xp to wl10255xp with a 22psi bypass, I could not get a wl10255xp locally but managed to get a napa npl 100255 I believe is made by wix and is the same filter, I spun that filter on and same results quite 5.0. The butt dyno feels better throttle response with less pedal travel to achieve acceleratoration. The fl500s, fl2121b12, champ 500xl and fram xg10575 all provided warm idle knock and tic. Oil I have in the pan is 5w20 and used the same oil for all these tests.

I was intrigued by this post and since I have experienced the typewriter tick since new and was due for an oil change I figured I would give it a go. Unfortunately, the Napa brand GM version filter you described with the higher bypass pressure made zero difference for me.

I was intrigued by this post and since I have experienced the typewriter tick since new and was due for an oil change I figured I would give it a go. Unfortunately, the Napa brand GM version filter you described with the higher bypass pressure made zero difference for me.
Oh man, sorry to hear that, mines quiet, didn't help at all ?

Oh man, sorry to hear that, mines quiet, didn't help at all ?

No, unfortunately it did not. I have also experimented with different oils from 5w20 - 15w40, now at 52k miles and nothing I have tried makes a difference.

No, unfortunately it did not. I have also experimented with different oils from 5w20 - 15w40, now at 52k miles and nothing I have tried makes a difference.
Lots of people with the Coyote that have the typewriter tick have success with adding as little as 1/2 bottle (150 ml) of Liqui-Moly Cera Tec. It makes the tick dissapear almost instantly after adding it to the oil. YMMV

Maybe try the new motorcraft fl2121b12 oil filter, didn't work for me, I have gone threw various filters and oil weights, not just with this 5.0 but previous truck with 5.4 3v, just to be clear, the tic and light knock that I have experienced has been very minor and did not impact performance, just pisses me off, hate tick knock type noises coming from engines. With all the tests I have done with the various filters and engine weights ie, 0w20, 5w20,5w30,0w40,5w40, seemed to have an impact on noise and performance, thicker oil seemed to make the 5.4 and 5.0 sluggish, I tried 5w30 with fl500s on 5.0 and the tic was noticeably louder. I have read many posts regarding the tic coming after first oil change from brand new trucks and mustangs, not sure what oil they use from the factory but we know it's not a fl500s oil filter, it's a fomoco filter that kind of looks like a wix

I may try 5w30 and the new fl2121b12, if you look at the pics I poster the filter on the right is the new fl2121b12, I'll take more pics and post

Fl500s and fl2121b12

Attachments

• 20230424_114809.jpg
    20230424_114809.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230424_114752.jpg
    20230424_114752.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230424_114730.jpg
    20230424_114730.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 26
I have read many posts regarding the tic coming after first oil change from brand new trucks and mustangs, not sure what oil they use from the factory but we know it's not a fl500s oil filter, it's a fomoco filter that kind of looks like a wix
A lot of guys with the Coyote don't have the tick, nor does it show up right after an oil change (regardless of the oil or filter used) like others see. It's not the oil filer, it's more the oil and the formed tribofilm on parts because adding 150 ml of Ceratec makes the tick go away almost instantly. It changes the friction level between moving parts, and the engines that are prone to tick are for some mechanical reason sensitive to the friction level of the oil.

My coyote doesn't tick. 2017 with 57k on the clock when I got it. I use 5w40 in it now and it is noticeably quieter than other coyotes we have at work. I am still looking for a remote location oil filter kit that I can switch to for an easier oil change. I already have a fumoto valve on the pan.

The oil filters I have used on this engine are fram, motorcraft, and it came to me with a k&n.

Back