What’s everyone’s favorite bbq sauce and why?

Off the shelf?

Proabably Sweet Baby Ray's - my buddies dad beat them by coming in 3rd place in the Chicago rib contest, then getting beat by them the following year the two were close.

I much prefer making my own, if Im going to be spending a lot of money on the meat.
I give my guests a mix of wet and dry rubbed.

Sweet Baby Ray’s or Kraft. Or the local bbq places homemade sauce that comes warm oh man it’s delicious. Why? Well it’s just so good and yummy 🤤. Especially that warm bbq sauce from the bbq place here man let me tell you that’s some good sauce it has just enough tang to make your nose hurt if you eat it by itself.

Favorite is my wife’s. Next was a local place that made a dark molasses based sauce that was dark, similar to what my wife makes. Besides thst, I like the Wegmans store brand because they have different types and use sugar, not HFCS..

The BBQ sauces at Lidl are really good. Not sure it counts as BBQ sauce but the Thai-ger sauce is current favorite.

Here's a good tip to make crappy, thick, store bought sauce much better. Add apple cider vinegar little by little until it thins out a bit. Go to any real BBQ joint and most if not all of them will have a thinner type sauce.

Off the shelf, I'd say Everett and Jones of East Bay fame has the best sauce in the Bay Area. You can buy it at Safeway. It comes in hot and mild. I prefer mild.

I forgot to add the why. I think my taste for BBQ sauce is a regional thing. Growing up, my mom made her own. It was a tomato and vinegar based sauce with very little sugar. I still like my sauces with very little sugar. The Mrs. Griffin’s is more of a mustard based sauce. I buy it when I can find it.

Back