Pasties, a 1800s era miner's lunch. A contemporary take on pasties.

You always have to be aware of where you are.

The other thing the place is known for is the green colored gold.

You were probably were about to stumble on a grow. Lots along river beds doing illegal diversion.

Lots of it thats legal as well fed off "x" miners inches deeded to the plot. Having a water right is the equivalent of Gold.

When I can walk into a random coffee shop in Amsterdam on a business trip and buy weed labeled to be from Grass Valley Ca you know it's a thing.
So that's why it's called Grass Valley! :p We have green gold patches here in Marin. Gotta be careful here, too.

I thought this would be especially difficult to do in CA considering strict environmental regulations, especially piping water off of a stream!

Sounds like an exciting hobby!

Most single guy free agents don't pump much of anything but bring buckets of strategically dug dirt to micro sluices, some times they just bring buckets of dirt back to to a little sluice they have in their backyard.

Once you start bringing gas powered stuff into a river you run into claim owners pretty quick.

Last edited:
So that's why it's called Grass Valley! :p We have green gold patches here in Marin. Gotta be careful here, too.
Marin is the OG of California grow locations.

It's pretty common for a dinner party of house party guest to show up with ball/mason jars of apple butter or some kind of jam, moonshine, and weed. Weed is little like wine these days with everyone knowing every strains detailed background and geniologly.

Marin is the OG of California grow locations.

It's pretty common for a dinner party of house party guest to show up with ball/mason jars of apple butter or some kind of jam, moonshine, and weed. Weed is little like wine these days with everyone knowing every strain, detail background.
Isn't that the truth.

In West Virginia, due to the high numbers of Italian immigrants there, coal miners ate boat loads of pepperoni rolls...basically just pepperoni and mozzarella jammed into pizza dough. Still very popular there.

And because of those Italian backgrounds, West Virginia has some *very* good Italian restaurants, which might surprise people.
If you go to Italy and ask for pepperoni it's a no go it doesn't exist there it was invented in the USA

My grandmother, born in 1882, was from England and used to make Cornish pasties for us when I was young. She's been gone for many years, but as I recall the filling was ground beef, onions, and potatoes. Seasoning was likely just salt and pepper. Very delicious.

Bill Bryson writes in his book Lost Continent about driving around the U.S. for months and months and eating mostly fast food.

Eventually he gets to Michigan and is delighted to find Cornish pasties.

Unfortunately, his palate has been spoiled by an almost continuous diet of fast food, and he finds the pasties very bland.

My last pasty was at a place called "Muldoon's" in Munising, in the UP. Had their "Traditional" one which contains ground beef, potato, onions, carrots, and rutabaga. Not bad, although a bit bland - nothing a little hot sauce can't fix.
I haven’t had Muldoons in a long time, average to above average hot, far better than the stuff from the freezer or Dobbers which is dry dry dry.

Randall’s is still usually the best but I have noticed they are lite on meat during tourist season, I guess all things have gone downhill recently

In West Virginia, due to the high numbers of Italian immigrants there, coal miners ate boat loads of pepperoni rolls...basically just pepperoni and mozzarella jammed into pizza dough. Still very popular there.

And because of those Italian backgrounds, West Virginia has some *very* good Italian restaurants, which might surprise people.
I ain't gonna lie, I love these things. I like to make them with fresh yeast rolls that I don't proof real high.

Back