What would you use? Brake pad advice

OK, so, as you know, this is what I ended up going with.
I hope your experience with HPS 5.0 are better than mine. They had really terrible initial bite when it was wet and cold, and they ate my rotors faster than the OEM semi-metal pads did (Mazda). I switched to Raybestos EHT after those and was much happier - better initial bite and even lower dust.

I would probably have tried Carbotech 1521 for street only or Endless MX72 for a higher performance option if they are made in your shapes.

I hope your experience with HPS 5.0 are better than mine. They had really terrible initial bite when it was wet and cold, and they ate my rotors faster than the OEM semi-metal pads did (Mazda). I switched to Raybestos EHT after those and was much happier - better initial bite and even lower dust.

I would probably have tried Carbotech 1521 for street only or Endless MX72 for a higher performance option if they are made in your shapes.
Good to hear they are still selling quality parts. I had heard they were either bought out or one of their main suppliers was some time back. Assumed like lots of times the quality would fall off badly due to that. I guess not. Thats good. They only been around at least
one hundred + years.

May depend on the direction you are going, I'm trying to improve on pads lasting less than 20,000 miles, I assume your OE ones lasted longer than that? Our truck has almost 80,000km on it and the OE pads still look like new, the rotors are going to rot off it before it needs a brake job from wear.

Labor....not so rare, just pricey!
These are the discounted online prices:

Front pads:
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 11.08.30 PM.png

Rotors (this, x2):
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 11.06.50 PM.png

So, even if I bought all the parts discount online I'm still at $2,984.36 + shipping and tax (13%) without any labour.

The Hawk pads were 1/4 the price of the OE ones and if they result in longer rotor life, it's an even bigger win.

Last edited:
Brembo products are great no doubt.

It will be interesting to see where you land on the hawks from a performance and price/performance perspective.

I don't see how the combo can offer better rotor or pad life while performing as well so I wouldn't put many hopes in much better life, but I suspect you will get similar life and performance at reduced component cost.

May depend on the direction you are going, I'm trying to improve on pads lasting less than 20,000 miles, I assume your OE ones lasted longer than that? Our truck has almost 80,000km on it and the OE pads still look like new, the rotors are going to rot off it before it needs a brake job from wear.
The Hawks actually lasted longer than the OE pads which were about 35k, but the rotors were in much worse shape. I just found them very wooden and occasionally had almost zero bite in cold rain. Maybe just a poor match for that car.

So, it would be possible to downshift and save on brake wear?
And shift the wear to the transmission or clutch if it's a stick instead? There's no free lunch, and constantly forcing a downshift will take its toll on the transmission or clutch eventually.

So, it would be possible to downshift and save on brake wear?
It has the 8HP, which does downshift and engine brake for you, but it's still an automatic. You can use the paddle shifters if you want a bit more engine braking, but that really hasn't seemed to help with the brake life. These SUV's are notorious for rapidly eating front brakes unfortunately, so I'm trying a bit of an experiment to see if that can be improved upon.

From what I can see there’s plenty of pad left but the rotors have a lip. Of course it’s nice to throw it all away and get new. Even as a diy I try to stop this behavior. I’ve replaced pads at 50% because I already had the wheels off and my rationalization was well pads were only $42. Obviously this is wasteful thinking and businesses don’t do that with fleets…ymmv my .02

These are what the front brakes on the SRT look like right now, not at the squealer, but getting close. They have 24,000km on them (15,000 miles):
View attachment 141534

The dealer told me it's $3,000 to do the brakes

I know there are a number of different pad brands out there that cater to the enthusiast market and will make pads that fit this application. The OE pads have an insane amount of bite, which in turn results in rapid wear.

I'm not trying to be cheap, and I'll buy OE if that's ultimately best, but I'm suspecting there's something that's a better balance of wear and bite available. @edyvw
regarding 3k cost, they don't call them "stealerships" without a reason.
assuming a person can do it their self or find someone to install parts for them, I'd go with Powerstop... you can get em from RA, Jegs etc.. https://www.powerstop.com/product-t...VCgWwe5h9xrLHiuAeHl9DXI_HvMaKhzMaAtU_EALw_wcB

From what I can see there’s plenty of pad left but the rotors have a lip. Of course it’s nice to throw it all away and get new. Even as a diy I try to stop this behavior. I’ve replaced pads at 50% because I already had the wheels off and my rationalization was well pads were only $42. Obviously this is wasteful thinking and businesses don’t do that with fleets…ymmv my .02
I believe they were at about 3mm when they were removed. Not totally cooked, but almost at the squealer. The picture probably makes them look better than they were just due to the size of the pad, rotor and calliper.

Last edited:
Back