What would you use? Brake pad advice

I've downshifted transmissions for 60 years, never had to replace a clutch or an auto trans.
Me too, when warranted, on steep declines, after I slowed the car to a point where a downshift is needed. Then I manually downshift to prevent an automatic transmission from up-shifting to reduce brake use, and apply brakes as needed. Doing it constantly, as when coming to a light to slow the car, no there is zero need to. That's what brakes are for.

Me too, when warranted, on steep declines, after I slowed the car to a point where a downshift is needed. Then I manually downshift to prevent an automatic transmission from up-shifting to reduce brake use, and apply brakes as needed. Doing it constantly, as when coming to a light to slow the car, no there is zero need to. That's what brakes are for.
What year is your Jeep? I have a 2017 automatic and really dislike the transmission.

What year is your Jeep? I have a 2017 automatic and really dislike the transmission.
2016, as of now it is the best automatic transmission I ever owned. If prices stabilize and they start to deal again locally I'd get a new JLU Rubicon with the 8 speed AT. But pay sticker, or more, lol it won't happen.

Last edited:
These are what the front brakes on the SRT look like right now, not at the squealer, but getting close. They have 24,000km on them (15,000 miles):
View attachment 141534

I figure the rotors are good for another set of pads, they aren't as chewed up as the one-piece ones on my 2016, these look pretty good still.

The dealer told me it's $3,000 to do the brakes, which, yeah, that's "typical" for this vehicle, you have to pay to play, but having brakes last like 30,000km, well, I'm curious if there are other options that might provide a bit longer pad life and be more cost effective.

I know there are a number of different pad brands out there that cater to the enthusiast market and will make pads that fit this application. The OE pads have an insane amount of bite, which in turn results in rapid wear.

So, what other options are BITOG'ers a fan of? And no @AutoMechanic it's not getting white box, lol.

I'm not trying to be cheap, and I'll buy OE if that's ultimately best, but I'm suspecting there's something that's a better balance of wear and bite available. @edyvw
Try and get brembo # off pad and then search online. I did that for my V60, and paid half price of through Volvo. You probably wont like pedal feel with anything else.

Try and get brembo # off pad and then search online. I did that for my V60, and paid half price of through Volvo. You probably wont like pedal feel with anything else.
I'm actually pretty surprised with how happy I am with the pedal feel of the Hawk HPS pads. I'm still of course curious to see how they work out over the long run, but so far, I'm satisfied with them.

I'm actually pretty surprised with how happy I am with the pedal feel of the Hawk HPS pads. I'm still of course curious to see how they work out over the long run, but so far, I'm satisfied with them.
Not the same car as yours but I used to have HPS on my Integra decades ago. It dust a lot, and it chew up my rotor faster than anything else, and the bite is good. I won't use it again after I grew older and no longer drive 90mph.

Not the same car as yours but I used to have HPS on my Integra decades ago. It dust a lot, and it chew up my rotor faster than anything else, and the bite is good. I won't use it again after I grew older and no longer drive 90mph.
Were they the 5.0 compound? That's what @UncleDave recommended and that's what I bought. No dusting to speak of so far, which is a pleasant surprised because OE dusted like crazy.

Back