What Oil Should I Use for GMC Yukon 2019 in a VERY HOT Summer

Back in the day I used M1 15-50 in my 1992 Ford explorer and then my S-10 2.8L from dai one and never had a problem here in S Fla. Now I use what the Mfg says, I do have Jeep Grand Cherokee and as soon as it's out of warranty I will switch from 0-20 to 5-30. I think you would be OK with a 5-30 but no heavier than that. If you wante to save some $ use the Kirkland mentioned or Supertech from Wally world.
He will be "OK" with any higher SAE grade as long as the winter rating is appropriate for his expected starting conditions. That's related to his location which continues to be undisclosed.

He will be "OK" with any higher SAE grade as long as the winter rating is appropriate for his expected starting conditions. That's related to his location which continues to be undisclosed.
Can you show us why someone's location is relevant to their oil choice? Other than your opinion of course.

Can you show us why someone's location is relevant to their oil choice? Other than your opinion of course.
Just for a winter rating recommendation. Plus oil temperatures are higher in very hot weather despite an engine being water cooled.

Does that work for you Joel?

Just for a winter rating recommendation. Plus oil temperatures are higher in very hot weather despite an engine being water cooled.

Does that work for you Joel?
So by your logic everyone in death valley must run a heavier weight than recommended right? Otherwise engines would be failing left and right.

The logic just doesn't hold water. What's the provable benefit beyond placebo?

So by your logic everyone in death valley must run a heavier weight than recommended right? Otherwise engines would be failing left and right.

The logic just doesn't hold water. What's the provable benefit beyond placebo?
You're free to advocate an alternative position, Joel. MOFT always wins and there is no downside to ensuring an adequate MOFT except an undetectable fuel economy decrease.

You're free to advocate an alternative position, Joel. MOFT always wins and there is no downside to ensuring an adequate MOFT except an undetectable fuel economy decrease.
There I agree with you. There is very likely no downside to going to a heavier oil.

The issue I have is a generalized opinion that "heavier is better". Stated as a fact in many many scenarios that there is no proof other than confirmation bias.

Regarding the location, the OP might be in a desert environment that is flat and dusty or could be in a high mountain desert that those same temperatures would be applicable but will have to contend with driving up and down grades. Kind of like Utah versus Nevada.

We need your location, for ****s sake
The OP seems to be a security contractor who was told either by his PM/COR/SSO not to advertise his contract location on social media.

Since he has a sedan as his other car, this likely narrows it down to a GCC country which have very well paved cities. (if it was north africa and a few other likely contract places, you'd only drive an SUV).
Also he doesnt ask about the oil for his Sedan so its likely a "office" provided vehicle which again points to a GCC country.

I am willing to offer 3 to 1 odds that its a GCC country and among those, 2 of them particularly likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: SR5
This is all that's needed. $3/qt.
View attachment 86184
Even better. ;)
PZ-Platinum-API-950x1000.jpeg

Of course the manual suggests 0W-20 and I’ve followed that (ac delco 0w20) for the last 3 years since it’s new. Last time a mechanic told me I should never use the thin 0w20 since where I live there is no winter and it’s only for US. Our summer is very hot and I mean it reach 50 C (120 F) degrees in July and August. In winter temperature never goes below 3 C or 40 F and that’s even rare. Last time I used the Mobil 1 0W40 Euro but it’s too expensive ($14 Quart) and didn’t notice a difference. Should I try SHELL Helix Fully Synthetic? Or maybe 5W40 or Castro’s Edge 10W-60?
In over seas locations the thinnest oil I ran in a personal vehicle is a 5w-40, in summer at times a 15w-50 but I usually stuck with 5w-40.
However the new Mobil 1 0w-40 seems to be quite stout and stouter than its wide range from xw-40 suggests so M1 0w-40 is fine even in summertime "warm" over seas climates.

You can stay in grade and go up a little in viscosity within the 20 grade. Your oil's vis is 8.4 @100. Pennzoil ultra platinum and M1 AFE are 8.8 vis in the 0w-20 grade. Your next vis step up would be to a thin 30w like Pennzoil platinum, etc. which is in the low 10 viscosity range. Try these, slightly thicker, oils and see how they run in your situation. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your helpful comments. So I see that most replies see no issue in running 0w40 weight as I am doing right now. As it is time to change my oil now (6k miles) I went to my dealership and they warned me that using ANYTHING other than the 0w20 written in the cap would cause harm to the engine. They were shocked that I was using a 40 grade oil. No matter what temperatures they claim it doesn’t matter as “modern cars now use aluminum parts” which cannot tolerate heavy oil. It’s for Porche, BMW and high performance cars, not mine. Is this true? I’ve asked a few more people who agree with the dealer. I am CONFUSED now.

So far after switching to 0w40 I noticed my car performance better (a bit louder maybe when speeding) but overall I feel it’s fine. I was even considering running a 5w40 grade since it’s MUCH cheaper but now i am not sure.

Back