What is "severe service" by OEM's and your definition?

most car manufacturers list low speed driving as severe service

Which ones?

some oil change intervals can go by hours instead of mileage which goes against your point .

Common on construction equipment, which often doesn't do much whiles,
but still has to work hard. How would that 'go against my point'? I'm under
the impression you didn't get what I was trying to say.

My wife and I both have severe driving, but for different reasons.

My Cadillac CTS; lots of idling and moderate cruising, but I occasionally reconfirm that the old girl can still get it. And the 3.6 is a known oil user during freeway driving.

Her Honda Odyssey: lots of stop and go, with frequent tests of acceleration and braking capabilities. And we tow a boat sometimes.

shirt trips, extended duke pretty much. Just change it a little early and keep up on it. Engine won’t know the difference

Anyone using the factory OCI light on the dash is using it in severe service. They are junk regardless of all of the advertising and moaning and groaning the manufacturers do. There are literally thousands of oil changes on YouTube that show oil being changed at 7,500 miles and the oil is black goo. The auto makers do NOT car if your car lasts more than the warranty. If you do no believe this you have not been around the manufacturers enough..... although to be fair, some of it is law in that they have to abide by amazingly stupid laws regarding a few issues with pollution control.
Years ago Consumer Reports tested New York taxis.Half had 7500 mile oil changes and half had 3000 mile changes.They tore the engines down after and did not measure any difference between the 2 oil change intervals.This was on conventional oils.

Which ones?

Common on construction equipment, which often doesn't do much whiles,
but still has to work hard. How would that 'go against my point'? I'm under
the impression you didn't get what I was trying to say.
I know ford ,Toyota, Hyundai all say slow speed driving is severe service

Adherence to recommended manufacturers severe service intervals is critical in law enforcement/first responder fleets.
Engines have to go from cold start to full speed, nonstop idling (hot or cold weather), top of the RPM range responding and/or chase scenarios. Some intervals have to be adjusted after learning weaknesses that are revealed in particular vehicles over the vehicles/models lifecycle. Hours of service are also established as a benchmark for service and component replacemen/refresh - alternators, water pumps, axle bearings, brake hardware, hoses, belts, etc. etc.
Lived it for 40 years. Things are better now. Back in the early 80s were wrought with component failures….

Years ago Consumer Reports tested New York taxis.Half had 7500 mile oil changes and half had 3000 mile changes.They tore the engines down after and did not measure any difference between the 2 oil change intervals.This was on conventional oils.

I've used a lot of dino but my oci was typically 3000 miles or less. Never had any engine issues but never saw the inside of any of my engine either. Couple of cars I could see sludge, varnish and stuff through the oil cap or buildup on the oil cap but they both had over 270K miles.

With dino and 7500 miles oci, I would also worry about sludge! Some engines can handle inferior oil and/or abuse (e.g. long oci) much better than others.

Wonder what did the consumer report test for? Wear, sludge, deposit, varnish, etc?

My basic definition of severe service: long idle times, regular cold starts/short trips, towing/hauling heavy loads, and regular driving in very dusty conditions. I'm on the fence about stop & go driving in high temperatures -- the engine should be perfectly fine if the cooling system is healthy.

Some definitions of severe service include long drives at highway speeds. This is true only if you live in a mountainous area and/or if you drive 150 +MPH on the highway. Normal highway driving is actually the easiest on an engine.

Just watch the IOLM on a modern car . 40 minute open track sessions, heavy towing for a significant percentage of the miles,. severe stop and go driving (Like 10 mph average), cold starts every 1 mile etc cause it to reduce the mileage.

Slow speed driving is ambiguous. Do you mean 1.2 mph in low gear, low range or 35 mph in high gear?

Numerous studies have said fuel consumption tracks oil degradation closer than other parameters. If you operate in conditions that result in 10 mpg then you might need that 3,000 mile oci. If you are averaging 25 mpg you are likely fine at the 7500 miles.

The same with equipment like an APU. If you are burning 3 gph you are going to need more frequent changes than 1 gph.

My vehicles average EPA Combined MPG or better normally so usually get normal.intervals.

My mother's usually average well under EPA CIty MPG so usually get severe.

Last edited:
Back