2023 GMC 3500HD-6.6L GAS/6Spd Trans - Motor Oil/Filter Choices?

The recommendation to avoid heavy towing for the first 500 miles is to protect the differential. Considering you have already put about 500 miles on and the boat is only 2500 lbs I would just hook up and go.

How long is it been since you checked the wheel bearings on the boat trailer?
Boat is new...2023.....200 miles towing since new

That is definitely not heavy towing what you are going to do. I would run the factory oil for 3 to 5000 miles and change it. I have a 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 gas with a 10 speed transmission. I will be using Valvoline advanced synthetic 5W-30 and an AC Delco filter. I tow a 14,000 pound fifth wheel and I’m planning on changing my oil for the first time at 3000 miles.
I will use the PF 63 AC Delco filter. I used a UPF63R once on an older 6.6 gas and it developed a leak on the seam where the cap is rolled onto the can. I’ve been changing my own oil for 40 years now, and have never had a filter leak except that UPF63R.
The same thing happened to me about 8 months ago on my previous truck. '03 F-350 V10....Motorcraft FL820S oil filter...leaked at seam....my first time ever seeing this! I, too, change my own oil for 44 years and have never seen this!

Same truck 2021 GMC, I’m running a PF63 and Quaker State Full Syn 5w-30. 5k OCIs. 20k on truck, 15k towing. I thought ‘23 was to have the new trans?

BTW you can install the OEM trans dipstick these came with until this gen.
10 speed trans became standard on 6.6L Gas in 2024.

I specifically wanted the 6 speed.....more simple, proven durability, and less expensive to repair when the time comes...because it will come

Change the oil at 500 and tow the small boat trailer. Just take it easy and don't hammer the gas pedal on this trip.

Congrats on the new truck. I am thinking hard about removing our almost five year-old Hyundai from our driveway. It only has 33k on the odometer and I want my 2nd Choice from 4-1/2 years ago..... Toyota RAV4 with the DOHC engine. No more Korean GDIs for me.
interesting...I purchased a new 2018 RAV4 Adventure model when the 2019 models were available. I wanted the 6 speed... tried and proven trans. It has the 2.5L four-cylinder DOHC 16-valve engine with Dual VVT-i, delivering 176 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque. I avoided the CVT trans that appeared in the RAV in the new body 2019 models. I also wanted to avoid the Auto Sart/Stop.

The UPF filter is supposed to have a thicker case than the standard AC filter.

Also the manual is available on the trucks display. I was just looking at it the other day. I also have it downloaded on my phone straight from Chevy.

Definitely change the oil. Amsoil recommends first OCI at 200 miles. 90% of break-in is competed by 500 miles and the rings are seated at the factory. Get they metal saturated factory fill out asap. Looks like 5w-30 is recommended. Personally, I run 5w-40 M1 EF in my light duty Tacoma. Great oil for the money.

I am a fan of a harder but not abusive break-in with a lot of engine braking in the first 1000. High rpm but not sustained for a long time. Run the oil til 3k and change it. Heavy towing is stressful on the engine no doubt but as was mentioned the diff's & transmission also need time to wear in. There is no metal floating around as some would like you to believe IMO.

Back