What is "severe service" by OEM's and your definition?

I would consider towing severe service, but running car in winter I would not call "severe."

I would consider loading the car down with people and bags severe service, but I would not consider driving with no occupants in Ozark hilly country as severe.

Would you consider driving to work with 4" snowfall on unbladed roads severe? (not getting stuck in snow drift)
As stated in the second post.. if the engine is getting up to full operating temperature, no. Otherwise.. yes.

You're overthinking this.

I quit worrying about severe duty and go by hours. I average less than 20 mph during last oil change. Idle quite a bit if I take wife or dogs with me. Last oil change was 230 hours vs 5k or so and 1 year. Manual states if I remember correctly 350 hours maximum.

No oil change interval will help an manufacturing defect. If your kia had a theta 2 engine you could have gotten a new engine. If you paid for the engine out of pocket you could have been reimbursed.
They did honor their warranty and put a reman engine in the vehicle. I promptly off-loaded that car for another ...

Frequent "Stop and Go" driving is severe. That means city driving. If anyone believes that your differential and transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, I would say you do not know what the factory considers "the life of the vehicle". Generally you are good to go if you regularly change your oil but I have seen so much that I just can't do it. It would be wise to err on the side of changing the oil a little more often. I'm NOT saying every 3000, but 5000? I do that and it has kept my 5.3 GM engine clean as the day it was made. I would not go to 7500 or more as it seems the OCI light does. But, as usual, no one has to listen to me. I'm throwing it out there for food for thought.

All of my driving qualifies as 'severe service' because I have one of these on my vehicle;

1647725533691.jpg

to me severe means lots of short trips, idle time, dirty/dusty areas, mountains/hills.

me & my wife both do short trips to work. i have a 22 ford ranger & she drives a 2020 hyundai elantra. for each of us its 12 miles round trip, 5 days a week. we both do 5k or less per year. our area of kentucky has plenty of mountains to cross when we venture out of the city areas. which we do mostly city driving with lots of stop & go/idle time.

i change oil every 6 months in both vehicles regardless of miles. mostly its only at 2500 miles or less. i change the air filter & cabin filter every fall. rotate tires every fall. might be excessive but it gives me peace of mind knowing my vehicles are taken care of. besides, its not that expensive.

My definition of " severe service " differs GREATLY from the manufacturers . I won't debate it here because it's obvious that many will disagree with me . I'll just keep on doing what I have always done because it's been working very well for me for 50 years .

Frequent "Stop and Go" driving is severe. That means city driving. If anyone believes that your differential and transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, I would say you do not know what the factory considers "the life of the vehicle". Generally you are good to go if you regularly change your oil but I have seen so much that I just can't do it. It would be wise to err on the side of changing the oil a little more often. I'm NOT saying every 3000, but 5000? I do that and it has kept my 5.3 GM engine clean as the day it was made. I would not go to 7500 or more as it seems the OCI light does. But, as usual, no one has to listen to me. I'm throwing it out there for food for thought.

From what I have read through the years most American manufacturers usually considered 150,000 mi the life of a vehicle. Honda was 300,000 km. I think a little under 300,000 mi is the most I've seen a trans survive on the original fluid.

My definition of " severe service " differs GREATLY from the manufacturers . I won't debate it here because it's obvious that many will disagree with me . I'll just keep on doing what I have always done because it's been working very well for me for 50 years .

Many people are that way. Some have been doing 10,000 mi services with M1 for 40+ years and some have been doing 3,000 mi services with whatever meets spec.

Obviously works well for both or they would have made changes.

'Stop and go' driving isn't even near 'severe' if the engine reaches
operating temp on that trip. While it may be true that more vehicles
are actually under 'severe service' than their owners do realize 'severe'
must still be the exception. I can't be true that 'severe' is the norm for
the majority of cars. That would be ridiculous and even contradicts the
meaning of 'severe'.

'Stop and go' driving isn't even near 'severe' if the engine reaches
operating temp on that trip. While it may be true that more vehicles
are actually under 'severe service' than their owners do realize 'severe'
must still be the exception. I can't be true that 'severe' is the norm for
the majority of cars. That would be ridiculous and even contradicts the
meaning of 'severe'.
Would you rather buy a car that is 90% highway driven with 100k miles or a car that is driven in the city for 90% of its life at 50k miles?

Would you rather buy a car that is 90% highway driven with 100k miles or a car that is driven in the city for 90% of its life at 50k miles?

Based on what it takes to get a modern IOLM to reduce OCI it appears to me that it's a case of a misinterpreting what predominantly (or frequent) stop and go driving meant. Having to wait through multiple cycles at each light at the end of each block and never exceeding 15 mph between is much different than a light every 1/4 mi with you getting caught by every 4th one. The first might result in a less than 5 mph average and a gallon of gas through the engine every 5 miles and the second an average of 30 mph and a gallon every 20 miles. The first might be severe and the second not if you are doing a mileage based oci.

Last edited:

Sorry, I don't get how your question is related to what I said.
City driving may cause slightly elevated clutch and brake wear,
however that doesn't necessarily make it 'severe'. Not all city
driving is the same. Same applies to highway driving of course.

Sorry, I don't get how your question is related to what I said.
City driving may cause slightly elevated clutch and brake wear,
however that doesn't necessarily make it 'severe'. Not all city
driving is the same. Same applies to highway driving of course.
most car manufacturers list low speed driving as severe service unlike highway driving which can rack up miles on the car faster than city driving.
some oil change intervals can go by hours instead of mileage which goes against your point .

Back