What is "severe service" by OEM's and your definition?

I would consider towing severe service, but running car in winter I would not call "severe."

I would consider loading the car down with people and bags severe service, but I would not consider driving with no occupants in Ozark hilly country as severe.

Would you consider driving to work with 4" snowfall on unbladed roads severe? (not getting stuck in snow drift)

IMHO, loading car with number of people it's designed to carry as well as amount of luggage/load should not be considered 'severe'.
If car is rated to tow some load, this should not be considered 'severe'.
Driving in 4" of snow isn't normal but is it 'severe'?

Kia suggests using the “severe maintenance schedule” if you do a lot of short trips or idling, drive up hills and down hills, or drive in cold weather or warm weather, or in traffic.

So…. Basically everybody 😳

I agree with the short trips and extended idling, but some of these seem a bit silly.

B8CC63C9-D47C-4574-8FB1-40AF312A15ED.jpeg

Kia suggests using the “severe maintenance schedule” if you do a lot of short trips or idling, drive up hills and down hills, or drive in cold weather or warm weather, or in traffic.

I agree with the short trips and extended idling, but some of these seem a bit silly.

View attachment 83137
They strech the normal condition so thin that it almost equals lab environment XD

I see severe service in Africa or Middle East with cars driving slow in mud and dirt and loaded with stuff and people ... I think %90+ of people in US don't see severe service. Maybe some taxis.

car manufacturers want to drag you into the shop to sell you more stuff.

Having said that, I change oil frequently and much shorter than recommended OCI ... but have friends who change oil every 15-20K miles with cheap oil and don't seem to have any engine problems. lol

I qualify for severe service just because most of my driving trips are less than 8km. Regardless of time of year, naturally the 8km trips in Winter are much harder on the car than in Summer, but that's how I roll.

2 oil & filter changes per year, and I use PP and don't worry about the issue.

I see severe service in Africa or Middle East with cars driving slow in mud and dirt and loaded with stuff and people ... I think %90+ of people in US don't see severe service. Maybe some taxis.

car manufacturers want to drag you into the shop to sell you more stuff.

Having said that, I change oil frequently and much shorter than recommended OCI ... but have friends who change oil every 15-20K miles with cheap oil and don't seem to have any engine problems. lol
Doubt those engines will see 300k. I shoot for 300k on every car. Our Civic is almost at 250k. The minimum trip on this car is 30 miles. About 400 miles a week.

Doubt those engines will see 300k. I shoot for 300k on every car. Our Civic is almost at 250k. The minimum trip on this car is 30 miles. About 400 miles a week.

One friend had a Civic and sold it. Can't remember the mileage but he currently owns a Corolla with 220K miles. Last time I saw him adding oil and asked him how often he changes oil and he said couple years ago!
I think some engines can take the abuse but I wouldn't buy a used car from him.

Severe service considerations for my car is driving around town. Lots of stopping and going happening due to large uptick in traffic and construction. Lots of dust and lots of siting and idling waiting for a green light. I change the oil on the Nissan at 3000 miles. On my truck I am doing the same type severe service driving I have defined for the Nissan. I use the F150 for my side job in retirement. It gets oil changed every 3000 miles.

View attachment 83137
Yup, I would consider going up and down hills, SEVERE! :(

I do mostly short trips ... less than 5 miles, usually about 3 miles. Engine rarely gets to full operating temp. I'd call that severe. My oil changes are every 6 months.

Any service where you are only getting half the fuel mileage of your rated mileage.
Driving in heavy and constant dust and extremely rough roads( rough roads is for the chassis and suspension)
Short. trips exclusively And nothing else. Running with a mechanical issue like leaky injectors or a misfire due to bad plugs.

I don’t consider stop lights severe. I don’t consider triple digit heat severe. I don’t think starting the truck at a hotel and driving 10 minutes to work in 16 degree weather negates the fact that I just drove 500 miles the day before. All of this is the factored in service in the Americas.

Back