What is going on with oil prices?

Ha... when I saw this thread, I assumed we were going to talk about West Texas Intermediate.

It was $120 a barrel a few weeks ago and now it is $85 a barrel.

As for motor oil on the shelves, its price will fluctuate about 3 months behind the WTI Futures, 'cause that is where the blenders are paying the 'real' price.

Yes, the components of oil are rising, but so are the costs of packaging, shipping and the hourly wages of employees.

It's called inflation and so far this year, it is rising 8% year over year.

Ha... when I saw this thread, I assumed we were going to talk about West Texas Intermediate.

It was $120 a barrel a few weeks ago and now it is $85 a barrel.

As for motor oil on the shelves, its price will fluctuate about 3 months behind the WTI Futures, 'cause that is where the blenders are paying the 'real' price.

Yes, the components of oil are rising, but so are the costs of packaging, shipping and the hourly wages of employees.

It's called inflation and so far this year, it is rising 8% year over year.

Ha!

At soon to be age 57, I might be going back to work for an oil company doing business on the North Slope of Alaska once again. They need someone with experience managing the telecommunications needs for certain exploration units (which I won't name). I NEED the pay raise after our marked inflation these past two years! Flying to the Kuparuk Field or Deadhorse, AK airports and working there would be part of the game, even in the dead of winter. Thankfully, that would only be once in awhile. It is what it is...

I've worked up there in years gone by. Anyone know how much crude, refined oil, gas, diesel, grease, differential, or tranny fluid I've seen dripped or spilled onto the snow, gravel pads, or roads up there?
Nary a drop.

Every vehicle has a "duck pond" placed underneath the engine compartment -- as soon as each vehicle is parked! Caught three times without one under your truck or its refueling, and you're blacklisted (hearsay!). Combined, all Alaska oil pads, access roads, and parking lots (driven surfaces) have had less oil and grease drip onto them than your typical Lower-48 Wal-mart parking lot. Despite the Exxon Valdez mistake, and only a few minor pipeline leaks or spills over the years, if anyone thinks other states or countries do it better than Alaska, I'd say you're WRONG!

Alyeska Pipeline Service Company is another world-class act. I have two years under my belt working at their Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) pump stations and remote gate valves -- wonderful org and people. Alyeska Pipeline Service Company is one of the most heavily regulated orgs in the world -- co-managed by the federal and State of Alaska governments, to include the local and tribal governments it passes through. It's amazing they get anything done whatsoever!

Alaska's pristine. We're keeping it that way. ;)

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why Pennzoil even makes this stuff. I've never seen it for sale anywhere. It'd be interesting to see a side by side detailed voa to see if it's actually any different than PP.

I was saying up until early this year, that oil prices are the same as 2015.....but I do see higher prices now. I was always getting a 5 qt jug for say $22, and a $10 rebate, which I did earlier this year. But it does seem the $22 jugs have gone up...

I honestly don't know why Pennzoil even makes this stuff. I've never seen it for sale anywhere. It'd be interesting to see a side by side detailed voa to see if it's actually any different than PP.
Project Farm compared 4 kinds of Pennzoil I believe

Sounds like everyone should stock up on QSFS while it’s still $21.

After wasting time on the DuraMax oil box fiasco I guess Kirkland or QS is still the best non-rebate deal out there.
Where is the QSFS $21 bucks? I'll leave work and go stock up now.......

Reactions: wlk
Nobody pays retail price at Canadian Tire. They rotate through which brands are on sale but you can get every major brand of oil they carry for ~50% off about every 3-6 weeks.
I haven't seen a good sale price on Mobil1 at CT (or its affiliate, PartSource) for a long time - probably two years.

That's why, after consulting the BITOGeratti, I switched over to ST and stocked up last fall.

We are being fooled.
Politics, Covid disinformation, fake news, and Russian disinformation has no place on this site! How daaaaarrre yoooooooooooou!!!!!!!!!!

I'm seen most oils going above 30 bucks, QS the cheapest is like 23 bucks, over a $10 spread from the top to the bottom.

I haven't seen a good sale price on Mobil1 at CT (or its affiliate, PartSource) for a long time - probably two years.

That's why, after consulting the BITOGeratti, I switched over to ST and stocked up last fall.

I just bought two jugs of ESP for $38.99. That’s two bucks more than I paid last year. Regular M1 was $33.99 I believe. They often have rebates too.

The newest PP via that analysis is a seriously weak looking oil. Maybe Pennzoil should drop that and just keep PUP?

I last changed oil in the spring, and I’m shopping for PUP 5W-20, and the prices at Walmart and Amazon are around $36 for a 5qt jug. I think I spent around $22 for the same jug In the spring. The cheapest I can find it is Napa which has it for $32. Anyone know what’s up? I would have expected the prices to move with gasoline, but doesn’t appear to be the case.
I see what you are saying, I remember awhile ago when I spent with tax $21.66 for a 5 quart jug of PUP from Amazon, now it is $32.50 plus tax.

Back