What are you eating right now?

Tater Tots for breakfast, along with smokey chipotle/habanero ketchup,
black coffee, and clementine-infused mineral water.
1705078131097.jpeg

Last edited:
Snow storm here, 6" so far and still coming down. 25 MPH wind to top it off. Nasty out there!

No meal delivery today. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. Apple or orange for dessert. Good afternoon for a nap.

My Pancetta Affumicata has arrived: This is a locally-made smoked pancetta. I didn't know about smoked pancetta until recently when I discovered a piece in a local market's deli case. I tried it and fell in love with it. It's not uncommon in Italy although it is rarely mentioned, at least here in the states. Since it's hard to come by in stores, I bought a 2½ pound chub directly from the producer.

Fra.jpg

My Pancetta Affumicata has arrived: This is a locally-made smoked pancetta. I didn't know about smoked pancetta until recently when I discovered a piece in a local market's deli case. I tried it and fell in love with it. It's not uncommon in Italy although it is rarely mentioned, at least here in the states. Since it's hard to come by in stores, I bought a 2½ pound chub directly from the producer.
Frankly and I am an Italophile - smoking is best left to Americans. I kid you not. Most smoked things I've had in Italy are just not that great!

Anyway, please take a shot when you slice it. Oh man!

Frankly and I am an Italophile - smoking is best left to Americans. I kid you not. Most smoked things I've had in Italy are just not that great!

Anyway, please take a shot when you slice it. Oh man!
It doesn't look much different than regular pancetta, but the flavor is markedly different. It is a subtle smoke, not like BBQ, and what you get is more depth of flavor rather than intense flavor.

We've made smoked garlic (actually, my friend Jeff made it, I was part of the idea discussion) and it, too, is incredibly flavored and nuanced. Both the garlic and the pancetta add a nice, mellow, background note to any dish they're used in.

View attachment 198066
I was talking about pancetta, bacon and guanciale today at work. Great timing!

Back