what are the oldest tires you've used?

I drove on some 1987 vintage Pirelli P77s in mid 2020
IMG_20200512_193137.jpg

IMG_20200512_193133.jpg

...no they weren't very good
They were replaced with some cheap Nexen whitewalls
The Grand Prix doesn't see much mileage anymore

I’m running some BFG TA/KOs from 08 on my F250 I just bought. They’re dry cracked but the nipples are still on the tread. The previous owner put 1400 miles on it in 9 years.

My Brother Just today had Walmart replace the...17-ish yr old tires he put on his '07 Dakota in '08...(Date coded 3307) they were an old store brand from...NTB/Tire kingdom? maybe?
either the Brand, or the model was Stampede... we think they were Cooper made. still looked fantastic, plenty of tread, bit of cracking between the treads...

and this truck has never been garaged. '08-'16 in a suburban Ft Worth Driveway. '16-now, in his suburban rural OH Driveway. at this point it mainly tows his Lawnmower to/from a lot he owns 20 some miles away..

on went a set of GT Radial Adventuro(?) AT's (i forget the date code, but they've been sitting in a warehouse for around a year already.

oh! while he was waiting, he bought a set of new wiper blades to replace the 7 yr old ones that were on the truck..

I grew up on the farm in Saskatchewan and a lot of the vehicles and implements had tires that were decades old. They didn’t get replaced unless they no longer held air.

When I left in 1999 there was one old truck, I believe a 1939 Dodge 2 ton, that had the original tires. It had been parked for a decade but all four were still fully inflated. I was told that they had never had to put air in throughout the life of the vehicle.

These vehicles didn’t get up to highway speeds and would generally be driven mostly on dirt roads.

I moved my sisters abandoned aluminum horse trailer off mums property sitting in grass for 25 years using rental u haul pickup to repair shop late at night. Some 2 of 4 wheels did not turn but one eventually did and the other one blew.

Had bearings replaced with tires and sold for decent amount .

I bought a 26 year old motorcycle with 6000 miles on the clock and the original factory fitted tyres. Amazingly it had passed an MOT inspection with these fitted. I did a couple of short test rides on it but didn't exceed 30 mph until they were replaced.

I've had a few 12 ply Goodyear Low Boy mobile home rated tires on my 6K MH axle equipment trailer that had to be ~25 years old, amazingly none have ever blown out, & I usually ran 70 PSI or more in them. The new Chinese 14.5s are not lasting very long...

Currently running 8 year old Hankooks on my 2000 Impala. But will be junking it in September and it has succumbed to a rusted out left rear shock tower.

I recall reading that old school bias ply tires could last longer than modern radials (in terms of years not miles of course) due to more rubber used & the lack of steel belts which can internally corrode & cause failure.
I have a set of 9 year old General Grabber ATs on my 07 Jeep that are getting replaced this summer. On my boat trailer I use Load Star bias ply tires & change them as soon as I see cracks in the tread or sidewall usually at 6-7 years. No failures with these not even a flat using them 20 years, on my 3rd set. I’d rather use bias on a trailer than cheap imported radials.

The original Bridgestone Radial SF tires on my dad's old 87 Mazda B2200 lasted 27 years before one wouldn't hold air anymore. Personally, I really don't recommend using tires anywhere near that long. They still had a lot of tread on them.

I've got 2008 winter tires for my BMW, and 2013 summer tires for the same car. Neither are worn and would I even consider replacing them, even with occasional 150 mph jaunts.

Lexus snows are 2016.

This notion that tires expire by time is really a sign of a first world country. Same with infant car seats, we've been taught they have an expiration date. It also shows how powerful marketing is to this day, despite not truly being a science.

I wouldn’t care much about a TEMPORARY spare, especially if full size, so long as it held air. And I’d be super careful with speed and conditions.

For regular tires we tend to age out vs wear out with our driving patterns and use. So I start to watch at 6 years, and shop for replacements around 7-10 years depending upon vehicle.

Back