What are the worst tires you've used?

Not sure about 'worst', but the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS that came OEM on my Accord Sport were pretty bad. They were as hard as hockey pucks, had no grip in the rain, and were downright dangerous in freezing weather, kind of important for an all-season tire. The guy at the tire shop couldn't believe I didn't want to keep them considering how much life was left in them. Paying the disposal fee was well worth it.

When I was a poor college student and didn’t know any better a small-town rural tire store sold me a set of four tires “made by Goodyear” for a 1998 Grand Prix I had just acquired. The tires were called Star Imperial. They had an odd tread pattern that looked dumb on the car and were so worn and cracked within 25,000 miles that they were replaced with Aurora H715 (by Hankook) tires. Not sure how great the Auroras actually were, but they’re some of my favorite tires I’ve owned because of how drastic of an improvement they were over the previous tires.

Attachments

• 878442D7-17F0-474D-8401-F5E460FB25D8.jpeg
    878442D7-17F0-474D-8401-F5E460FB25D8.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 104
uniroyal tiger paw that came stock on the gmc sonoma i bought new in 1995. my first vehicle. they were more than mediocre, they were dangerous. on dry asphalt during summer, it was slippery like i was driving in winter.

Walmart set of Douglas tires on an 06 Honda Civic. They were still pretty decent for the low price. I have switched to Michelins quite a few years ago except my Ford truck has 2023 new takeoff rims/tires and they are Goodyears.

Hankook Ventus V2 directional tires on my Jaguar X-Type. Lasted 20K miles, the last 10K of which were shaking beyond belief. One finally developed a large sidewall bulge, and I installed Michelin's, which have been fine for the last 60K miles. I did not think tires could be so horrible, but come to find out, it is possible. Upon removal, it was pretty clear that all 4 tires had various pockets of air under the tread, causing the shake.

I've got to give them credit, without careful inspection, the tires looked fine, despite the horrible shaking.

[QUOTE="I Bridgestone Ecopia OE tires on the CR-V.....utter trash and garbage.
[/QUOTE]
They ride nice at least. That is about it.

Goodyear Eagle (GA?) that were stock on my bought brand new 1997 Jetta back then, General RT43 (bought new) on Accord 1991. Nexen CP671 that were stock on Kias in sig.
Just personal exp, I know some people like those tires.

I like a lot of continental tires but the factory Continental ContiProContact tires that came on the focus were awful.
The OEM ones on my wife's Civic are OK but... 'weird' somehow. They have very soft sidewalls but ride stiff. They squeal like stuck pigs on dry roads when pushed but have decent wet grip. Just... weird.

Toyo Versado LX on an `06 Odyssey.
Never ran smooth. Even through multiple road force balancings.
At about 30,000 miles (about 2-3 years old) experience tread separation on all the tires during a road trip during 100+ temperatures. Felt like I was driving on jello (even slow speed parking lot driving). One tire was so bad the spare had to go on to make it home. The tires were falling apart under us. The last 500 miles of the trip we where in the slow lane with the 4 way flashers on. Car would shake violently especially above 45 miles an hour.

Prior to the trip. I checked over the vehicle and all tires were set to the correct pressures. 35 psi. 60 spare.

Lucky we made it home. My wife wanted me to stop and have new tires installed. I should have listened, because as I continued to drive it got much worse and then all the tire shops were all closed.

Michelins went on after that.

General tires that I put on my wife's 2008 PT Cruiser Touring Turbo when the original Goodyears wore out at 50K miles. They only lasted about 20K miles, even with routine rotations. They also had a bad habit of not holding tire pressures. Replaced with another set of Goodyears, which were still in decent shape when the car was t-boned and totaled.

Back