Favorite budget tire?

I agree with everyone on Douglas tires>>> I noticed smooth and comfortable ride right after install with these tires from WM. Currently in my Isuzu for 4 years now. So far so good. No dry rot as the vehicle is parked outside 24/7 under Texas weather conditions

Last edited:
I've had a set of Falkin 31 X 10.5 X R15's on my truck since July, 2011. So far they're still going strong, and they have outlasted the set of the same size Goodyear Wrangler's they replaced.

Fantastic budget tire sadly there price is not budget friendly anymore
Agreed. I still prefer them but drive quite a bit. Not the right tire here.

I don’t have a favorite cheap tire as I don’t do cheap tires… but I would be tempted by Douglas.

I just go to Sam's,give them my tire size and tell them find the cheapest tires they offer.They are always made in Korea and never had any problems running their tires.

Reactions: JTK
Sumitomo HTR ZIII for summer. Falken 439 EuroWinter for winter in SE Michigan! Not enough snow to spend more on better. Keeps my rear only wheel drive car rolling. Probably stay with snow friendly all-seasons when time comes for new SUV tires, brand TBD, but had good experience on cars and the Continental DSW (I appreciate they are not "budget"). Need to see if there is a compatible fit for the SUV. Still another year of life on the supplied SUV tires, hopefully longer.

Yup, that's what I go with! There's a set on on of the Yota's now and will be on the other next year.

Also Sumitomo is another good value. They actually are the manufacture of Falken tires. Use this information how you see fit.
Sumitomo makes a great tire, I had a set and loved them (HTR P02). They are one of the oldest tire manufacturers in the world…..thats why Falkens are so highly regarded. They also make Doral tires.

I got excellent service out of the Crosswind HP010's on our 2019 Pathfinder. Decent traction, low noise and held balance throughout the life of the tire.

I've gotten some dud import tires as well. The sets of Supermax I had tried on our Pathfinder were junk in 20K miles. Same with the Versa.

I just mail ordered a set of Primewell PS830's for the Versa. They were about $50/ea.

My go to "Budget" brands are Yokohama and General.
I have also had good luck with Cooper branded tires, although I had a couple of sets under the Mastercraft name that I found unimpressive.
I swore myself off cheap tires after an experience at Pep Boys where they replaced the tires on a Chrysler that I had at the time. It took me the distance of two stop lights to figure out that the previously smooth riding vehicle that I had, had been transformed into the Wagon Queen Family Truckster, post desert jump.
We managed to get it squared after a heated conference with store management, where I demanded that they pull another four new tires, and I personally supervised the mounting/balancing of the second set, after I noticed during a parking lot inspection that an inordinate amount of weight had been applied to the first set.
I had gone cheap because I had planned to keep the car only six additional months. We made it, although it was a miserable six months.
Fortunately, the new replacement car had better tires.

Back when I was a kid, the Firestone 500 was recalled for being the “death tire”. My friends and I were out and about scouring the countryside (looking for trouble as usual) one day and found someone had dumped a bunch of brand new (recalled) 500’s at the local land fill. I sorted thru and found four 14 inch tires that would fit my Dads car. Being the cheap skate he was he put them on…..never had an issue.

My Dad was so cheap the he bought a new Pontiac Lemans back in 1971 and made the dealer take the power steering off to save 45 dollars. They never changed the steering gear, only removed the pump. My mom cursed him for years trying to park that car…..she had arms like a body builder after about three years 😂.

Years ago(early 70s) I would buy inexpensive tires from Cooper, Dunlop, General, Kelly and many of their private label tires.
Then the vehicles in the mid-late 80s that I was buying had more advance suspension setups such as what we're seeing today(double wishbone etc.) and those suspensions didn't like many private label tires so I had to move on. Once again in today market, I now like those lesser expensive tire brand and would buy them again.

Back